Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 13:38   #1

Boat: None yet
Lavezzi Owners

Hi all, looking into the lavezzi as one of my options and would love to hear

About yours, what it is you like , what you would like to different etc..

Boaz
Breezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 22:12   #2

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Hi Breezman,

We purchased a 2004 vintage Lavezzi this past September after selling our much loved monohull. We're very happy with the boat - though that's not to say some aspects couldn't be improved. She's got 30hp Yanmars (beautiful) and a 5kw Northern Lights genset (works a charm as well). The layout is the Owners version with the starboard hull being a dedicated Owners suite - we like that.

Keeping in mind this is a production boat, I'd say the finish & fittings are similar to Beneteau/Jeanneau which is to say, they're good, but often times you'd like them to be a little more substantial. I'd like larger winches, more deck cleats, an aft anchor roller, more storage etc. Obviously these can be upgraded. The main traveller system is not to my liking - I'm looking at perhaps installing an Antal Line Driver or perhaps a small winch to facilitate trimming. Oh, I will level one criticism - the cockpit dodger is butt ugly...I don't know how such a nice design ended up with such a crappy looking cover.

Performance wise we're very happy - we hit +10 knots on our first sail. Her sail plan is much larger than a similar sized Lagoon or Broadblue whilst being a lighter build (less millwork for one). We typically blow past Lagoon 380's at substantially higher speeds. Further, she points well and with the light foredeck, she manages rough water easily and comfortably. I'd also suggest you look at the bridgedeck clearance and profile - the Lavezzi is smooth, clean & high whilst the others have large ledges and protusions. I think this would lead to serious wave slapping in rougher seas.

Below decks she's great - I couldn't ask for more comfort. Like most cats, riding at anchor is stable and comfortable. Improvements would include a (better) electric bog, a shower door (can't believe they didn't do this) and a permanent shower head in the shower. Fridge, cooker and galley meet the co-captains high standards so I've nothing to add there...

What sucks? Tacking on cats is a slow motion affair and at under 4 knots you'll be backing the jib to bring her around. They also lack the tactile beauty of a tiller steered monohull. But, that's the nature of the beast.

Our 'to do' list includes:
- teak or flexteek decking in the cockpit and stern steps
- hatches for the forepeaks to facilitate sail storage
- main traveller needs some critical thinking
- hard cockpit cover (I really hate the look of the current thing)
- large screecher
- solar panels
- bog: the current electric sounds like sheet metal going through tree mulcher - something quieter
- electrical: I've upgraded the house bank to 640ah AGM's and constructed a battery locker under the aft cabin bunk (this places it opposite the genset). I've also installed a Link moniter and will install a Battery Watch cutout.

Cheers
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 09:55   #3

Thank you very much ,this was exactly what i asked for

Is it mostly just the two of you?

How is the load capacity?

Can you single sail?

Thank you again,

Boaz
Old 24-01-2008, 10:35   #4

Also ,what didnt you like about the traveler?

Can you elaborate?
Old 24-01-2008, 15:47   #5

Hi Breezman,

Per your questions:

1. Yes, it's just the two of us. What I really like is the cockpit setup which allows us to run the boat even when guests are lounging in the cockpit. They're out of our way and vice versa! Very nice.
2. Load: With full tanks, genset & batteries (150kg) she floats about 125mm (5") above her waterline. I keep storage central and only use forepeaks for sails/fenders. This will drop when we load up clothes & food but I do intend to keep her light.
3. Single sailing is easy but I think that's true for many boats (especially with autopilot on). Single docking can be managed but would be tougher in stronger winds as you really do feel the windage on cats.
4. The best traveller system I've seen is the Seawind - they have an Antal Line Driver which basically winches a continuous rope to move port/stbd. Ours is like the rest, you let the windward side go then you have to run around to the leeward side to take up the slack. Basically it's messy. However a KISS alternative would be a continuous sheet which takes up it's own slack as you let it out.

Cheers
Old 26-01-2008, 10:24   #6

Thank you again,

It seems that not all lines go to the helm ,some are on the other side

And seem to interupt the people at the table should you need to use it.

What is your input.
Old 28-01-2008, 03:12   #7

You can trim the sails without intruding on the seating area by standing on the sidedeck.
Old 28-01-2008, 16:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
You can trim the sails without intruding on the seating area by standing on the sidedeck.
So you have to go from the helm seat to the other side to tack?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:20   #9

Boat: Cat:Fontaine Pajot, Lavazzi 40ft
Lavezzi anchor

Our 2006 Lavezzi has an anchoring system that is very sensitive to the wind, the boat having to be constantly steered to the angle of the rode. It's slow and awkward in any substantial wind. Does anyone else have this problem?
We have yet to do an open sea passage in our boat, but it's coming (Tonga fm NZ in May). Any advice re drogues etc would be much appreciated. We are novices and concerned re safety factors/strength.
We purchased the FP without much forethought or comparison shopping, and hope the move was not an ill advised one (not that we took anyone's advice. It was a spontaneous purchase, and not a cheap one!)
leelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 14:21   #10

Boat: FP Tobago 35
[quote=leelee;132247]Our 2006 Lavezzi has an anchoring system that is very sensitive to the wind, the boat having to be constantly steered to the angle of the rode. It's slow and awkward in any substantial wind. Does anyone else have this problem?

You need to set up an anchor bridle on any cat. On mine I have 2 pieces of 1" rode that are spliced together with about 3' of single line after the join. You now have 3 ends, which you need to fit a thimble to.

The double ends attach to your cleats on the foredeck, attach an anchor hook to the single end, that will fit into your anchor chain.

For more advice on this, google "anchor bridle".

On my FP cat, I have replaced one of the bolts that holds the forebeam attachment to the hull (use lower forward bolt) with an heavyduty eyebolt. This is done on both sides. My bridle i shackled to these eyebolts and locked off. No Chafe and strong. No more swinging in the wind.

If anchoring in a current, a bit of helm can be helpful.

Regards

alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 17:24   #11

fp anchoring

Ta for that. We have bridle. The problem is in raising the anchor. We have just yesterday attached 2 more rollers, below the original one, and set them outside the metal frame to eliminate the rubbing of the chain as its hauled in (in any sort of wimd at all contact would be made and the boat steered over top of anchor to lift
Yet to test it. We feel maybe the setup we inherited was not the original, but nought to compare it to.
Old 07-02-2008, 19:04   #12

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
I believe your anchor roller is in the bridgedeck aft of the bows? If so, your boat may always be affected by the wind because 10-15' of it is windward of the pivot point (anchor roller). I don't have an answer for you, but there are many models of catamarans set up like this so there must be answers. Good hand signals to the person at the wheel and take up the anchor carefully are all I can suggest.
Mark
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:21   #13

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee View Post
Ta for that. We have bridle. The problem is in raising the anchor. We have just yesterday attached 2 more rollers, below the original one, and set them outside the metal frame to eliminate the rubbing of the chain as its hauled in (in any sort of wimd at all contact would be made and the boat steered over top of anchor to lift
Yet to test it. We feel maybe the setup we inherited was not the original, but nought to compare it to.
I just checked, and your anchor roller is mounted in the bridgedeck. The only way is to keep her directly into the wind, sail over the anchor to break it loose, start lifting and let the boat slowly go backwards so the angle of pull is directed away from the bridgedeck. Unless you want to mount an extra roller under the forward crossbeam, and add weight where you don't want it, then good communication is probably the only way to go.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:42   #14

Thanks Alan and Mark. Agree with your advice and that we don't want the added weight up front. And yes, good communication never goes astray; that's whats good about a site like this. Wish had known about it before our purchase.
Have a nice weekend
Old 08-02-2008, 11:48   #15

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by leelee View Post
I'm struggling to understand the basic problem. I believe you are setup the same as my Belize and we employ good hand signals and simply pickup
the all-chain rode slowly as we move forward towards the anchor. Yes, depending on the wind/current shift while sitting there, we sometimes turn seemingly crazy (in light wind/current we actually hang on just the weight of the chain), but we just follow the rode to the anchor. I have to believe that 9 times out of 10 you are sitting due down wind of the anchor and simply need to move forward while crew operates the windlass.

Am I missing something?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Lavezzi