Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-09-2012, 08:35   #1

Boat: FP Mahe 36 #108 "Caramba"
Heating

No thread yet on Mahe - Heating, so it's time to start one.

Up on westcoast Norway, were both winter and summer occur every winter and summer, and we rarely see temperatures above 20C, good heating is crucial.

We bought our boat in 2010 without any heating installed, due to what I thought was very expensive options from FP, and I planned to do it all myself. In retrospect, I'm not so sure the savings paid for all the hours spent...

In Port hull I installed a 4kW Eberspacher diesel air heater. Burner in port engine room, air sent forward in a 75mm pipe running through the styrofoam floating chamber (sealed, of course), and further on through the locker bottom, and stairway. Valved outlets in port aft and front cabins, open outlet in port stairway. Control/thermostat on Nav station instrument panel.

Stb hull has a 3kW diesel waterheater, also Eberspacher - see sketch. Burner and flowpump in stb engine room, along with a new Isotemp 40L waterboiler with twin coil and 220V el.heater. Hot water is sent forward in 19mm hoses through the tunnel under the fueltank/fridge.
Heat is delivered from a defroster placed under the fridge with air outlets in port stairway and aft cabin, a toweldryer in the bathroom, and a 1 kW radiator in the port gangway. In addition theres a 150W 220V drying shelf on top of the radiator. Control/thermostat on the wall over the locker, and expansion tank placed up under deck just above the windlass.

In general we are very pleased with the solution.
Air heater supplies heat quickly, but noisy. The the water heater system is more slow, but silent, comfortable and flexible. The stb gangway is now our drying station for damp clothes and shoes, very much appreciated by the crew.
The twin coil/220V boiler allows us to produce both hot water and heating from either shorepower, the Stb engine or from the dieselburner, without mixing engine coolant with the heating water circuit - important to avoid engine failure.

Pictures will follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vannvarme.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	46078  

Old 05-09-2012, 11:45   #2

Boat: FP Mahe 36 #108 "Caramba"
Re: Heating

Pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Waterheater.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	46082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boiler.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	46083  

Name:	Stb air outlets.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	46084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Radiator.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	46085  

Name:	Radiator w el dryer.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	46086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toweldryer.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	46087  

Old 05-09-2012, 11:49   #3

Excellent!
Old 05-09-2012, 12:05   #4

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

We have been looking at installing a Dickinson 1200 btu propane heater on our Gemini catamaran. Our winter sailing is really nice sence we have 40 deg F and sun most days and just 32 F at nght. Has anyone else used the Dickinson propane heaters ? They look just like the disel heaters but clean burning.
Old 06-11-2016, 16:02   #5

Boat: Mahé 36

I’ll post this under Heating but the question is really about measurement.
I bought the Mahé 36 of Rabbi. He very professionally installed a D2 Eberspacher diesel air heater that is more than adequate for chilly nights in the Mediterranean. But I’m sailing the boat to the Netherlands and our favourite cruising grounds are England/Scotland/Ireland and then is probably a bit light.
So I am thinking about buying a paraffin heater, a Zibro RC-270. When you use the right fuel it should not smell and it has a CO2 sensor. Of course it will need enough ventilation.

Now my question is: when not used, will it fit under the beds in either of the cabins? Should be simple to find out, but at the moment the boat is in on the hard in Seixal (Lisbon, Portugal) and we are in Rotterdam…
Is there somebody who could measure the height of the entrance to the stowage under the beds?

The heater is 52 cm high, 43 cm wide and 30 cm deep. Could it be placed under the bed without being tilted?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:10   #6

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Heating

It would have to fit through the under bed opening size.
27-7/8 inch wide X 15-1/4 tall
708mm wide X 387 mm Tall

It’s a huge cave under the beds, so if it can fit through the opening you should be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PB230034.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	135260   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB230033.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	135261  

Name:	P4060009.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	135262  
Old 07-11-2016, 06:30   #7

Oops... I’ll want to keep the heater upright while I put it under the bed, otherwise the paraffin will leak out. And the height is 52 cm, so when you say the opening is 387 mm tall I guess that won’t work. Or do I misunderstand you?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:40   #8

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Sailingjoy,

The opening is only 38.7 cm tall, so your heater at 52 cm tall will not fit through the opening standing upright.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:12   #9

That's a pity, then I will have to put is somewhere else.
Thanks for the information!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:41   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingjoy View Post
That's a pity, then I will have to put is somewhere else.
Thanks for the information!
I would suggest to wait until you feel a need for another heater.
As you know the individual outlets can be turned on and off as you need. If you just heat the area you are in it should be adequate even in chilly weather.

Heating one or two cabin the d2 will do well even below freezing temperatures, it can easily heat the head as well. Cabins and head don't require much energy to heat them because they are pretty closed off.
The salon is a bit harder to heat, not only because of volume but also because any wind blows right through it. Air enters the anchor locker, blows through the salon and exits at the salon door. Not a problem unless it blows hard while below 10deg Celsius. You could improve that by closing all the gaps to the anchor locker.
But as soon as you also heat the cabins as well it might get chilly in the salon. The heater is simply not sized for that climate.
Luckily you typically heat the salon during the day and the cabins at night. For us with kids going to bed early this was different.

But at night the cabins will be as warm as you want them to be.

If you really want this heater you should be able to store it in the fwd cabin where you can remove the panels under the bed. Or maybe hang out somewhere above the bed.
Old 08-11-2016, 16:29   #11

Thanks Rabbi, it is good to have your real-life experience.
The extra heater would only be to heat the saloon while the Eberspächer warms up the bedroom and the head before we go to bed.
I am not sure yet whether we will need it, but if we do I agree the best place to store it will probably be the forward cabin.
Old 08-11-2016, 16:45   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

If you need more heat, do it right! Don't vent combustion products into the cabin.

Why not a simple Refleks heater, with a window in it so you can watch the cheery flame? Or a Dickinson? For a single space like the main salon on a catamaran, that ought to be a good choice.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:25   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingjoy View Post
Thanks Rabbi, it is good to have your real-life experience.
The extra heater would only be to heat the saloon while the Eberspächer warms up the bedroom and the head before we go to bed.
I am not sure yet whether we will need it, but if we do I agree the best place to store it will probably be the forward cabin.
I tend to agree that I would not want any combustion inside the boat.

Heating really isn't much of an issue if you start the heater early in the evening. Its only a problem if you let the night cold crawl into the boat and try to heat it up again.

Easter holiday 2015 we spent two weeks in ~5-8 deg celsius and it was cozy and comfortable inside. Just got boring for the kids after a week of rain...

I would certainly just turn back to the Med. I prefer barefeet vs boots

Tags
heating

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: