Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 13:20   #16

Boat: Mahé 36
Re: Heating

Hi Rainer,
My sanity has always been questionable but apparently I have now definitively lost it because I went sailing today in the Dutch winter It was lovely, 5 degrees, a bit of sunshine, a bit of fog and nobody else on the water. But not for barefoot sailors like you …

Thank you for you elaborate reply. I agree it would be best to add a second heater because the air ducts of the D2 are too small in diameter.
It would indeed be logical to install the new heater behind the saloon bench on the other side.
Was it very difficult to get there? It looks very narrow!

I agree I prefer an air heater. The water heater Edmund installed in his Mahé (post # 1 in this thread) looks good and probably works perfectly but I guess it is much more complicated and expensive.
I will indeed need a professional to install it but I know a technician who has done many jobs for me over many years and who is not too expensive.

I think about choosing Wallas instead of Eberspächer or Webasto. They are made for use on boats and seen to be a lot more silent. A Wallas 40D is roughly the same price as an Eberspächer D4.
Anybody with experience with a Wallas heater?

PS: I did not get a signal you had replied, that’s why my answer is a bit late…
sailingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 22:30   #17

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Sailing Joy,

Check out Veno heating systems. They are distributors for a new heater brand. I have no experience with it but Arjan and his technician Eric have done other kinds of work for my vessel and I would hire them again.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 10:45   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Sailing in Dutch winter is certainly not for me... I am currently on the boat in Spain and even here is cold at night. No heater on this boat but at least I have shore power so it's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingjoy View Post
It would indeed be logical to install the new heater behind the saloon bench on the other side.
Was it very difficult to get there? It looks very narrow!
It is quite narrow in there but your pro could make a larger cutout in the bench seat to get better access. I chose the smallest opening I could to not impact stability of the bench seat.
The main question is how to route the exhaust on the port side so it is safe and not easily damaged. That was easier on the starboard side so I chose this spot.

You could make the eberspächer more silent by adding silencers for the intake and even the hot air ducts, but that requires more room I think.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 15:11   #19

Boat: Mahe 36

I’m here in the NW corner of the US. A single D4 is not enough. I’m fine but wife objected to 3C in the salon in the morning. Until I install a second D4 to share the load, I’m using large ceramic propane heater with a remote tank. It is equipped with an O2 sensor but I don’t run it unattended.
Someone mentioned sealing cracks to anchor locker but we’ve found that is not enough.
The only good sailing is fall through spring. Summer has too little wind. And anyway, in the winter, nothing is crowded.
At home, I use 4 small electric heaters to keep the boat from freezing and an electric heating pad that covers the water maker.

Cheers
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 14:38   #20

Thanks for the tips Rabbi. So we will have to saw. Oh dear …

Hi Rufduck, good to know I’m not the only one who sails in the winter weather ;-)
I also use small electric heaters to keep the frost out when the boat is in the harbour. Up to now is has not been necessary yet.
Just out of curiosity: what water maker do you have?
Old 19-01-2018, 02:19   #21

Hi ejlindahl,
I just looked up Veno Heating Systems in Zwartsluis. Looks interesting! They sell these Russian Planar heaters I had heard about, made for the Siberian winters…
I will check them out, thanks!

Tags
heating