Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2019, 06:36   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Clanging noise in boom

I have a very loud clanging noise about 8’ forward of aft, in my left ear, when running under a reef and in light winds and rocking seas. Sounds like a ball pean hammer in the boom. Is this part of the reef scheme, perhaps a line seperator within the boom? Is there a way of stopping it permanently? Depending how taught I make the reefing sheet will effect the number of clangs but not eliminate it. Thanks!
VeinDocFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 17:14   #2

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Re: Clanging noise in boom

Hello Florida...

Look, I had a bad clang in my Helia 44, but it was the electrical conduit broke loose in the mast, from being overloaded, and solved by FP under warranty. We put in, slid up a heavier conduit section with the mast on the ground, and set it back all in one day no worries...

If you are sure it is in the main boom, I would look in both ends as far as you can and check to see if it was the running block sheaves in the boom for the reef points. Check out both ends, and you are likely to find it.. From memory there were turning blocks built in by Z-spar for the reef points on both ends of the boom, one for entry and one for turning up to the clew of the jiffy reefing. One may need some shim out, even with nylon wrapped on the shaft every year, to minimise movement. Been nearly two years since I had my Helia 44, but maybe this is a help, running on my memory of the main sheet jiffy reefing running inside the boom and terminating out the end. Good luck with it..

Kind regards, Steve, now on a Saba 50 (Helia 44 on major steroids. )
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise