Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 13:47   #1

Boat: '87 Ericson 34
Solid Boom Vangs/Boom Kickers

Are solid boom vangs better than boom kickers? The latter are much cheaper, but are they as effective as the former?
Thanks
calhdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 17:49   #2

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Re: solid boom vangs/boom kickers

Yes, they hold the boom up so you dont need to rely on a topping lift. In terms of taking twist out of the sail a non solid type is just as effective, maybe more so because it doesnt have to fight the upwards push of the spring or conpressed gas.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-05-2016, 18:33   #3

Boat: '87 Ericson 34

Thanks, yes, I know what both do. My goal is to get rid of the topping lift, so the possibility of the boom crashing down is basically eliminated. I think it will also help control the boom when reefing; especially during single, or short handed sailing. I was wondering if a boom kicker would do just as good a job as a solid boom vang.......for a lot less $$$.
calhdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 18:57   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Sorry, yes I see now you are talking about those fibreglass boomkicker systems. I havent used that type so I cant comment. I am interested myself in this. I guess a lot depends on the size and weight of the boom and sail. One plus to the solid ones is that they normally lock up and wont allow the boom to drop anymore beyond a certain point. They also normally get stiffer the lower the boom goes. The boomkicker system might get softer as the boom drops? but this is all guesswork on my part...

Old 15-05-2016, 13:45   #5
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Yes, they hold the boom up so you dont need to rely on a topping lift. In terms of taking twist out of the sail a non solid type is just as effective, maybe more so because it doesnt have to fight the upwards push of the spring or conpressed gas.

Totally different animals. The solid vang pulls down on the boom exerting a downward force. The boom kicker may induce some bend in the boom in trimming the mainsail as the fiberglass rods exert an upward force on the boom. The upward force is overcome by the downward pull of our aft boom main sheet. I didn't like the amount of bend required to trim in our mainsail against the boom kicker, and scrapped it. Not sure how this would play out on a main sheet trimmed mid span on the boom.
JPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 14:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Swan 44
Re: Solid Boom Vangs/Boom Kickers

Full disclosure - we sell rigid vangs.

A rigid boom vang gives you a bit more control and does have a positive stop.

We offer a couple of different rigid vangs for reasonable prices. GarhauerStore.com

Appropriate vang for your boat would be: https://www.garhauerstore.com/mast-b...rv20-1-sl.html

We custom make each vang for every boat. Our rigid vangs include the custom mast and custom boom plates for your boat.
Only Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 16:10   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Totally different animals. The solid vang pulls down on the boom exerting a downward force. The boom kicker may induce some bend in the boom in trimming the mainsail as the fiberglass rods exert an upward force on the boom. The upward force is overcome by the downward pull of our aft boom main sheet. I didn't like the amount of bend required to trim in our mainsail against the boom kicker, and scrapped it. Not sure how this would play out on a main sheet trimmed mid span on the boom.
Did you not have a rope vang with your Boomkicker? Just like rigid boom vang, the fiberglass Boomkickers are suppose to be paired with a rope vang to act against the upward force. Google for any photos of how they are typically setup.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-05-2016, 16:13   #8

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

With a solid vang, you can pretty much definitively, eliminate the topping lift. Not so much with other styles. Especially when you consider what happens when a crewman unexpectedly lands on a boom supported by a solid vang vs. a kicker.
I know which I'd prefer to have "catch" me.

Plus, when properly done, a solid vang, particularly hydraulic ones, can serve in lieu of a gallows.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 16:31   #9
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Did you not have a rope vang with your Boomkicker? Just like rigid boom vang, the fiberglass Boomkickers are suppose to be paired with a rope vang to act against the upward force. Google for any photos of how they are typically setup.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes...we had a rope vang. The problem was upwind, vang off, mainsail sheeted in hard. The force required to set the main properly combined with the upward push of the glass rods, induced bend.
JPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 19:40   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The boomkicker company was very helpful in getting it exactly right for my boat.
I highly recommend it.

We have preventers from the aft end of each ama which act as a vang when traveler is eased.

I LOVE not having to deal with a topping lift !
Our boat is folded in this picture.

http://www.boomkicker.com/images/Dragon33.jpg

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 19:49   #11

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Time View Post
Full disclosure - we sell rigid vangs.

A rigid boom vang gives you a bit more control and does have a positive stop.

We offer a couple of different rigid vangs for reasonable prices. GarhauerStore.com

Appropriate vang for your boat would be: https://www.garhauerstore.com/mast-b...rv20-1-sl.html

We custom make each vang for every boat. Our rigid vangs include the custom mast and custom boom plates for your boat.
We've got a bunch of garhauer gear on our boat, and on our last boat too. We had problems with the garhauer boom vang, you guys should really engineer your boom plate better. Ours pulled out of the boom on our way south on the baja haha. We replaced the 1/4" course thread bolts on ours with 5/16" fine thread bolts (that we had to have custom made down here), and they still started pulling out, so we had a new boom plate made that allowed us to through bolt the vang to the boom. Maybe whoever installed it did it half-ass, but we haven't had any problems since thru-bolting it.

Except for the problems with the vang attaching to the boom, it's good stuff.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boom vang, kicker