Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2008, 06:56   #256

FP Mahé 36 or FP Athena 38

1-5 years old.

What´s the biggest differences except the mahe is newer. For me it looks like a athena would be a good buy. What to think about?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:47   #257

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
1-5 years old.

What´s the biggest differences except the mahe is newer. For me it looks like a athena would be a good buy. What to think about?

I would go with the Athena, one with the taller rig. The first ones were even more lacking in sail area.

The way the Mahe is fitted out, leaves alot to be desired IMO.

I suggest you check out the Mahe thread here, and take note of some of the owner comments

Mahe doesn't even have a genoa track to trim with, just a turning block on each side.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
I would go with the Athena, one with the taller rig. The first ones were even more lacking in sail area.

The way the Mahe is fitted out, leaves alot to be desired IMO.

I suggest you check out the Mahe thread here, and take note of some of the owner comments

Mahe doesn't even have a genoa track to trim with, just a turning block on each side.

Regards

Alan
Thanks Alan,

When did they start building the athena and what year was the latest built. Any major changes during the buildingperiod?

I know all f-p threads on this forum.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:03   #259
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
the last one was built in 06 and there were some changes during the i think 10 year run i think they built 222 of them
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 06:13   #260

Boat: Mahe 36
Hi Freetime

After 2 years of research we came down to the same choice, the Mahe or the Athena.
We chartered an Athena for a week, which we thoroughly enjoyed and this gave me chance to have a good look around the boat, plus see how she performed.

We spent a lot of time looking at second hand Athena’s, the older models as well as the later ones and as Nordic Cat says the later ones are much better than the older version with reference to the mast height and rig, but also the electrical wiring loom on the older models is not a patch on the later model.

We have since purchased a Mahe for various reasons, which is all down to personal preference, I like having the separate engine bay’s, which have loads of room for servicing the engine’s, the Athena’s engines are located under the owner and guest beds. The Mahe is a much easier boat to maintain and being an engineer this was at the top of my list. Another choice of ours was the layout in the saloon, which I have got to say is one of the best I have seen in a boat of this size, the head height is fantastic, (being six foot one) much better than the Athena, were I could only stand upright in the middle of the saloon.

I have been living on board now for 4 months and loving every minute, the Athena we chartered was one of the later models and I have no problem in saying that the Mahe has the edge on the Athena with its sailing performance, not a lot in it, but enough for me.

At the end of the day, it is what matter’s to you, any of the above boats, I am sure you would be happy with, good luck with your choice, we are more than happy with ours!

Kev & Jo

https://www.mahe36.blogspot.com
kev&jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 08:51   #261
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
I like both boats but it's what you intend to do with either that would make the difference to me. I delivered one of the first Mahes in 6'-8' seas and I own an older Athena. The Athenas are more robust and drier in rough conditions. If you plan coastal sailing with the occasional hop to the Bahamas a Mahe is a great boat. If you plan longer and deeper travels I'd opt for the Athena hands down.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2008, 09:30   #262

Thanks for the answers.... I´m 186cm tall, don´t know right now whats in ´ and " ? And the engine room under the bed doesent sound like the best place...
Old 13-07-2008, 12:20   #263
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Thanks for the answers.... I´m 186cm tall, don´t know right now whats in ´ and " ? And the engine room under the bed doesent sound like the best place...

I see you're in Sweden. My grandparents were from there. I hope if all goes well I be there in about four years with my boat to visit relatives I've never met.
The ( ' ) means feet and the ( " ) means inches, if I read your question right.

As far as the engines under the bed go, it can be a great place for them in rough seas. The Mahe I was on developed a slight air leak in the fuel line that shut down the engine. A simple fix once found. But the climbing into the engine compartment in rough seas from the end of the scoop was a bit hairy. I would not do it single handed at all in those conditions. It would not even be an issue on the Athena. I can't remember what kind of latch the engine compartment on the Mahe had but I would hope you'd be able to open it from inside the engine compartment.
Old 13-07-2008, 13:48   #264

Thanks for all answers.

Tellie, don´t forget to visit the archipelago of stockholm with 30 000 islands!
Old 14-07-2008, 16:21   #265
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The Mahe I was on developed a slight air leak in the fuel line that shut down the engine. A simple fix once found. But the climbing into the engine compartment in rough seas from the end of the scoop was a bit hairy. I would not do it single handed at all in those conditions.
I've been on one new Mahe and will 2nd this observation. The engine placement maximizes cabin layout, which is terrific, but God help you if you need to work on an engine while underway.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 01:08   #266

I will take a closer look at this....
Old 15-07-2008, 12:10   #267

Boat: Mahe 36
Hi Freetime,

Whilst your at it check out what other manufactures do as well, having engine's in separate compartments does seem to be the norm these days. God helps us, eh!

Kev & Jo

https://www.mahe36.blogspot.com
kev&jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 16:46   #268
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev&jo View Post
Hi Freetime,

Whilst your at it check out what other manufactures do as well, having engine's in separate compartments does seem to be the norm these days. God helps us, eh!
These days?? My 1985 Catalac has two engine compartments. Each readily and safely accessible. The French apparently had a different priority set when designing the Mahe.

Different strokes for different folks..
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 18:14   #269

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38
Hi Freetime,

I purchased an Athena rather than a Mahe for many reasons, I think the Athena is a stronger boat and more suited to blue water conditions and I am very happy with it.
I am not tall (178) so the Athena has plenty of room for me and the layout works well for us. As for the engine access, for the amount of time I actually need access I don't find it a bother and there are no fumes and the noise level is probably comparable. There is far more room to work around the engine on an Athena and its a lot safer too. I have plenty of info on the Athena and you can email me if you want to know more. I think you get far more boat for your money with an Athena.

Crak
Crak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 20:49   #270
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crak View Post
Hi Freetime,

I purchased an Athena rather than a Mahe for many reasons, I think the Athena is a stronger boat and more suited to blue water conditions and I am very happy with it.
I am not tall (178) so the Athena has plenty of room for me and the layout works well for us. As for the engine access, for the amount of time I actually need access I don't find it a bother and there are no fumes and the noise level is probably comparable. There is far more room to work around the engine on an Athena and its a lot safer too. I have plenty of info on the Athena and you can email me if you want to know more. I think you get far more boat for your money with an Athena.

Crak

Hi Crak,

Do you have any pictures of your boat?

Tags
mahe 36