Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 05:13   #1

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000 53'
Version 5.0.518 / Intel UHD630 Minor Bugs Found

Having cured the zoom out and crash problem that occurred with 5.0.0 by installing 5.0.518, I decided to do a full check out of the program and my add on's using my Dell XPS13 which has an Intel UHD630 graphics card. I found three areas that display minor problems. Please note that this may not apply to your setup, unless you are also using the same card. This is being posted to help identify differences experienced with new hardware.

Celestial Navigation 2.3

When selecting the celestial body, the body listing pane is too narrow. Only the first 4 characters are visible. A possible fix might be to have a pane with a right hand edge than can be dragged to the right.

Watchdog 2.4

When opened and the mouse is right clicked in the box to chose a new type of boundary, again the pane is far too small. Only the first 3 characters are visible. Again a dragable box might be the solution.

Grib 4.1

Using my older XPS with an UHD530 graphics card, the wind arrows (in default colour) display as a brown colour, and remain so whatever scale of chart is selected. However, with the UHD630, once the scale gets smaller than 1:1.6MM, the arrows change from brown to pale yellow, which makes them hard to see.

As a suggestion, it would be nice if there was a choice of colour rather than a single default colour, and also some control over the intensity of the barbed arrows. I don't use the controlled colours option as the pale green and yellow colours are hard to see.

Toolbar Icons

With both the 520 and 620 graphics cards, icons on the toolbar would often disappear after being selected, leaving a black space where they once were. I found that by switching off Polygon Smoothing in Options\Display\Advanced\Use Accelerated Graphics\Options, the problem went away. So not a bug. Only a tip.

I hope that the above will be useful to the authors so that they can tweak the software to be ready for more users switching to newer hardware.

I have not tried every plugin, only those I am familiar with. There was problem with Open Draw and 5.0.0 but it went away when .518 was installed.

Fair winds to all

Ian
Biggles is offline   Reply With Quote