Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 21:09   #1

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft
Scale Bar growth

This is my first post here.

I recently started using OpenCPN 4.8.6 (the latest version as of this date). Everything is great! I've thoroughly investigated all the features, and it all works.

I added the line "UseSimplifiedScalebar=1" to the .ini file, and it appeared where it should, in the lower right corner of the screen.

However, I found a bug, one not addressed in any of the forums or help screens: when you zoom in or out the scale bar will lengthen to the right and disappear off the edge of the screen. This happens whether or not you have the dashboard displayed. Of course, not being able to see both ends of the scale bar kind of kills its usefulness.

I'm no programmer, but it occurs to me that if the scale bar were to be made to lengthen to the left then everything will be all right. Can this be fixed, maybe with another line in the .ini file?
Cheers,
Sir_Crabs_A_Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 21:50   #2

Re: Scale Bar growth

it would be better if the scale bar was placed in the center and changed its size from the center. Also, it needs to be raised slightly upwards, visually almost merges with the bottom edge of the screen.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 00:57   #3

Boat: Dufour 35

I'm using Linux and Android and have never seen this problem. Sure the bar expands to the right, but it always changes scale and resize itself well before hitting the edge of the screen. We have never heard any complaints from other windows users.... so perhaps you have an unusual/very new screen & resolution. Please tell us a bit about your system !

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:28   #4

I confirm that the scale bar expands to the right edge of the screen
if the scale bar is located on the right side of the screen, then the logical extension is to the left. And it's better to arrange in the middle of the screen and expand from the center!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:43   #5

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I will look into this. I implemented the simplified scale bar. My intention was (and still is) to make this the default, since the usual scalebar in opencpn is very strange, but it is up to dave whether or not this is acceptable.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I will look into this. I implemented the simplified scale bar. My intention was (and still is) to make this the default, since the usual scalebar in opencpn is very strange, but it is up to dave whether or not this is acceptable.
I still do not understand how to work with the usual scale bar, I do not see any point in it
Sean, where you can see your version?
Old 12-09-2018, 17:01   #7

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/1139
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 17:00   #8

Boat: Steamboat, 25 ft

My system screen is set to 1680 by 1050 pixels on a 22 inch monitor. My Graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce. This is a desktop computer. I should say that when I transfer this program to my boat it will be on a 15 inch laptop, so the problem may not reoccur.
Sir_Crabs_A_Lot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal