Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 09:19   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Does the Garmin USB interface work for you otherwise in receive mode? Does it produce lat/lon, etc?
Dave,
yes - OpenCPN gets lat/lon (doesn't matter whether the device is set to NMEA In/Out or Garmin Host)
The log shows some more info about the device in the receive scenario:
Code:
6:07:46 PM: NMEA Data Source is....GARMIN
6:07:46 PM: AIS Data Source is....None
6:07:46 PM: Using WVSChart datafile: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\wvsdata\wvs43.dat
6:07:46 PM: NMEA AutoPilot Port is....None
6:07:46 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins/celestial_navigation_pi.dll
6:07:46 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins/dashboard_pi.dll
6:07:46 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins/demo_pi.dll
6:07:46 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins/grib_pi.dll
6:07:46 PM: Chartlist file not found, config chart dir array is empty.  Chartlist target file is:C:\Users\nohal\AppData\Roaming\opencpn\CHRTLIST.DAT
6:07:46 PM: Searching for Garmin DeviceInterface...
6:07:46 PM: Windows GUID for interface is \\?\usb#vid_091e&pid_0003#5&889521f&0&1#{2c9c45c2-8e7d-4c08-a12d-816bbae722c0}
6:07:46 PM: Successful Garmin USB syncup.
6:07:48 PM: Found Garmin USB Driver.
6:07:48 PM: Found Garmin Device.
6:07:53 PM: GPS Watchdog Timeout is: 6 sec.
But even when the device is in NMEA mode, there is nothing at all in the NMEA data stream window...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:42   #17

how are your Garmin GPS's connected to your PC's?? are they direct serial/usb or through a multiplex??

I have a Garmin GPS152 conected to a shipmodul miniplex2 usb multiplex ShipModul Marine Electronics along with the rest of the repeaters, autohelm, etc and I cant for the life of me figure out how to send a route or waypoints to the device!
mattpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:56   #18

Boat: Phantom 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpayne View Post
how are your Garmin GPS's connected to your PC's?? are they direct serial/usb or through a multiplex??

I have a Garmin GPS152 conected to a shipmodul miniplex2 usb multiplex ShipModul Marine Electronics along with the rest of the repeaters, autohelm, etc and I cant for the life of me figure out how to send a route or waypoints to the device!
Matt,
most of the people use serial connection. Not working USB is the problem we've been talking about with Dave in the last few posts.
Right now try to export your routes/waypoints to GPX and upload it using GPSBabel: convert, upload, download data from GPS and Map programs (works for me with direct USB connection to 276C)
152 is not listed as supported in Garmin serial/USB protocol (garmin) but a try doesn't hurt

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:58   #19
Marine Service Provider

Matt....

This is the scenario that we are targeting. Garmin GPS's will not accept route uploads via the normal NMEA sentences defined for this purpose. They require the Garmin Protocol for upload.

The current git repo code works with your configuration, i.e. a Garmin device with serial interface to the PC, either direct for some models, or thru a USB/Serial converter for others.

We shall have this function available in Beta shortly, if you don't want to build from source.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 11:15   #20
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Might be just me, but I'd prefer it not overwrite a route. Leave it up to me to make sure there is room on the GPS for a route.

Unless, that is, you can pop up a warning message and let me choose the route to overlay, or a check box to decide what to do in case of no room...

But, trust me, if you implement it just as you have proposed, I will definitely make good use of it.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 14:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Matt....

This is the scenario that we are targeting. Garmin GPS's will not accept route uploads via the normal NMEA sentences defined for this purpose. They require the Garmin Protocol for upload.

The current git repo code works with your configuration, i.e. a Garmin device with serial interface to the PC, either direct for some models, or thru a USB/Serial converter for others.

We shall have this function available in Beta shortly, if you don't want to build from source.

Thanks
Dave

Ive been reading some of the threads on here with regards to the garmins being a sod! gpsbabel could well work, but the GPS isnt connected directly to the PC, the only connector it has is connected to the boat via the NEMA multiplexer and the multiplexer is then conectd to the pc.

I guess the only way to work it, would be to plan the route on opencpn, conect the GPS to the pc using a garmin-USB cable, then reconnect the GPS to the rest of the boat via the multiplexer again... or buy a different GPS!!!

any ideas on a simple GPS that can take a route via NEMA???
mattpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 14:46   #22

Dave,

Great ! I have try and for me it is working as you say. I upload 10 routes in my GPS and then the last one overwrite number one.

I agree with Dacust, it would be fine if we can get a warning message before overwriting. I have the possibility with the GPS to copy one route number to an other one and as that, before overwriting a route I need, I can send route number 1 to number 10 and so on until number 19.

Jean-Pierre
jpiebrig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin