Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 20:22   #61

Boat: Farr, PH, 50
Re: OpenCPN Version 3.0.2 Release

Hello, I have successfully used Open CPN 2.5.0 with AIS and GRIB plugins on Windows 7 sailing from Mystic, CT to San Diego. Recently the GRIB plugin stopped working. The menu button greys but GRIB file menu does not open and no GRIB information is displayed. I have not changed the location of the GRIB files downloaded over Iridium and from the internet. I tried upgrading to CPN 3.0.2 but this did not fix the problem.
Can you offer any suggestions? I would like to retain my past voyage information if possible.
Thank you, Ben, s/v Dunvegan
Farr50PH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 21:03   #62

Hello Farr50PH, Your GRIB problem sounds serious. You should have an Icon GRIB at the top. Once you click it the window should open and it may not show anything unless you click on another icon located on the right side in the first line. It will open dialog window with the where your GRIB files are located. They may have different extension if they are straight GRIB files or zyGrib. Just search for exact directory and once you click it with good few seconds delay will show the listing. Then just select the file date you want. Didn't test it with 3.0.2 while anything below that just works as I said. Cheers,
Victor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:57   #63

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farr50PH View Post
Hello, I have successfully used Open CPN 2.5.0 with AIS and GRIB plugins on Windows 7 sailing from Mystic, CT to San Diego. Recently the GRIB plugin stopped working. The menu button greys but GRIB file menu does not open and no GRIB information is displayed. I have not changed the location of the GRIB files downloaded over Iridium and from the internet. I tried upgrading to CPN 3.0.2 but this did not fix the problem.
Can you offer any suggestions? I would like to retain my past voyage information if possible.
Thank you, Ben, s/v Dunvegan
The most likely problem is bad values in the config.ini file.
Close down. Rename the file. Restart.
More on this page Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage scroll down to "Location of Important Files. Log and config files."

Still having problems? Please publish your opencpn log file!

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01   #64

Hello Victor12 and Cagney, thank you both for your replies. I do have the GRIB icon on top right end of CPN menu and it shows active when I click on it. But no window opens. Will changing the name of the config.ini file correct bad values in this file? I am new to the details of the inner workings of CPN and printing the user manual....

Thanks again for your help!

Ben
Old 07-01-2013, 09:03   #65

I should mention that my GPS receiver "puck" is on the boat down in San Diego, so I am operating the program without GPS at my home in Redmond, WA...
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11   #66

OK!!! Problem solved!!! At home, I am using a 2 - screen set up. I tried unplugging the second screen, and the GRIB window now appears on the CPN screen! Not sure where the window goes when using 2 screens. Thank you for your help and better understanding of the program... a nice side benefit.
Smooth sailing, Ben

Tags
opencpn