Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51   #16

Boat: Svendborg Senior DEN 38 Kate
linux device handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulup View Post
[*] Still waiting for Linux Sleep/Wakeup. OpenCPN does not close /dev/USBtty0 when going in sleep mode. As a result at wakeup time USB port changes name and becomes /dev/USBtty1. Further more has we cannot force a specific device like /dev/gpsUSB it is not possible to bypass the problem by manually configuring udev files. Obviously the best solution would be OpenCPN to handle UDEV natively, but as a quick short cut: it would be nice to either allow people to enter their own devices name or to provide some generic names like /dev/opencpn-gps & /dev/opencpn-ais which would allow us to provide a hot-fix by hacking udev config.[/LIST]
On my system openCPN connects to the GPS through gpsd, so in my case gpsd would be responsible for handling the device.

This can be done (on current linux with pm-utils installed) by placing scripts in /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/ which adds/removes the device from gpsd (or starts/stops gpsd).

In the future, device-kit-power (or what the name ends up being) will take over, the developers have been urged to add a dbus signal for sleep/resume events.

AFAIK there is no way to "handle udev manually" - udev works by effectuating the rules in /etc/udev/rules.d. And again, to my knowledge openCPN is connecting to (at least my) GPS devices through gpsd - correct me if I am wrong.
sredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 13:55   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 37
yes you can manualy configure udev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredna View Post
AFAIK there is no way to "handle udev manually" - udev works by effectuating the rules in /etc/udev/rules.d. And again, to my knowledge openCPN is connecting to (at least my) GPS devices through gpsd - correct me if I am wrong.
WRONG I posted long time ago on this same forum a short cut to handle this. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/opencpn-13653-16.html#post297494

The solution remain valid, with or without gpsd. The main advantage of GPSd is that it closes & reopens the device as soon as it fails to read it. As a result at wakeup time even if the real device name changed, GPSd at reopen time transparently reoopen the new name through the symbolic name.
fulup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 05:48   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Hi,
Some possible improvements in tide (and may be currents) display
point 1:
OpenCpn automatically includes the daylight saving offset . Right
For example , my meridian is Z+01:00 and the summer daylight saving date is 03/28/2010 . If I start my PC with a date greater this date , opencpn display Z+02:00 and calculation is done accordingly . OK , no problem .
But If I open my PC with a date before this date let say 03/27/2010 and I click "next" until ... let say 03/29/2010 ; OpenCpn still displays Z+01:00 but calculation includes daylight saving offset , meaning that Z+... is not updated so display is not coherent and could be confusing
point 2 (a very small one ):
When opening the tide window , Opencpn displays "today" ,then after Clicking "next" ,"tomorrow" . But if I continue to click next , I have "today" then "tomorrow" once a week for each week in the future .
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 12:37   #19

The downloadable source package opencpn-1.3.6.tar.bz2 contains a broken Makefile.am, installing the locale files to a hardcoded location. (/usr/local instead of the localedir variable)

patch enclosed, postfixed .doc due to the odd upload rules. Also fixes the installation of opencpn.desktop

Anders
Attached Files
File Type: doc Makefile.am.patch.doc (2.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 17-01-2010, 13:57   #20

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
Hi,
Some possible improvements in tide (and may be currents) display
point 1:
OpenCpn automatically includes the daylight saving offset . Right
For example , my meridian is Z+01:00 and the summer daylight saving date is 03/28/2010 . If I start my PC with a date greater this date , opencpn display Z+02:00 and calculation is done accordingly . OK , no problem .
But If I open my PC with a date before this date let say 03/27/2010 and I click "next" until ... let say 03/29/2010 ; OpenCpn still displays Z+01:00 but calculation includes daylight saving offset , meaning that Z+... is not updated so display is not coherent and could be confusing
point 2 (a very small one ):
When opening the tide window , Opencpn displays "today" ,then after Clicking "next" ,"tomorrow" . But if I continue to click next , I have "today" then "tomorrow" once a week for each week in the future .
Jean Pierre
Jean Pierre (Ptizef), this is worthy of two bug entries, if you don't mind doing it. Here is the place: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?gro...42&atid=894804

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 13:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredna View Post
The downloadable source package opencpn-1.3.6.tar.bz2 contains a broken Makefile.am, installing the locale files to a hardcoded location. (/usr/local instead of the localedir variable)

patch enclosed, postfixed .doc due to the odd upload rules. Also fixes the installation of opencpn.desktop

Anders
Anders, thanks - I'll see if I can apply this to the code base.

Mark
Old 17-01-2010, 14:18   #22

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyches View Post
Jean Pierre (Ptizef), this is worthy of two bug entries, if you don't mind doing it. Here is the place: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?gro...42&atid=894804

Mark
OK It's done
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 14:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyches View Post
Anders, thanks - I'll see if I can apply this to the code base.

Mark
Hi Mark,

I'm having second thoughts about the desktop file
I think it should be installed using xdg-desktop-menu:

Code:
xdg-desktop-menu install [path/]opencpn.desktop
That would ensure it is installed in the correct directory. Also the icon can be installed with

Code:
xdg-icon-resource --context apps --size <px> install [path/]opencpn.png
There are manuals for both utilities if it does not work, the xdg-icon-resource manual lists common sizes (16, 22, 32, 48, 64, 128).

You would probably have to check for the availability of the xdg utils, but they are likely to be present in any modern linux/unix system I believe - and if not, the .desktop file is probably not used anyway.

Anders
Old 18-01-2010, 11:50   #24

Boat: Wasa 410
No virtual ports found in Win7

I have installed an app that relays my mobile phones GPS data via NMEA sequences sent via bluetooth to my pc running Windows7.
It works great in XP as reported here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post390212

I am very much a newbie to win7 compared to XP however. It works without flaws to connect the pc to the phone via bluetooth (Adding a device). After mating my pc with the phone I can view the settings via the bluetooth dialogue and observe the virtual serial ports used (com4 and 5)

At this stage in WinXP it was only to start OpenCPN and choose the right port - it was found directly - not so in Win7.

I opened ControlPanel/System/device manager/ports
and they are both there:
I changed the port settings (from 9600 to 4800bd)

Restarted OpenCPN but still No Go.

To try whether it really is OpenCPN that does not find any serial ports or if it is Win7 I installed TeraTerm (HyperTerminal has been scrapped in Win7) and opened serial port com5 with the same settings and, voala, the screen is filled with NMEA sequences.
It seems it is some compatibility problem with OpenCPN and Win7.

Any suggestions from any Win7 guru - or is this an OpenCPN bug?

/Jonas

Edit: It works fine in Seaclear so it looks like an OpenCPN problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bt.gif
Views:	179
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	12697   Click image for larger version

Name:	ports.gif
Views:	177
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	12698  

Name:	port2.gif
Views:	172
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	12699   Click image for larger version

Name:	nmea.gif
Views:	187
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	12700  

Name:	tera.gif
Views:	174
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	12701  
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 06:58   #25

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Waypoints not uploading

Running XP Pro and 1.3.6

When running 1.3.2, I could upload waypoints to my Garmin 128 GPS...altho' I found 1.3.2 would only upload some of the waypoints and it took several uploads for them all to transfer.

Now using same command and getting the dialog box to show the same uploading sequence, no waypoints are transferred to the Garmin. All the Garmin 'interface' settings have been tried. Both deactivated and activated route waypoints have been tried. Not one waypoint has been successfully transferred. There are no more setting choices on the Garmin nor were any needed with 1.3.2.

Suggestions? What might I try next?

Jack
Old 28-01-2010, 08:19   #26

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Still hoping for a suggestion from another OpenCPN user or a member of the team...

Jack
Old 28-01-2010, 12:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Cruiser View Post
Still hoping for a suggestion from another OpenCPN user or a member of the team...

Jack
Replied here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post395213
Old 29-01-2010, 07:23   #28

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Uprade to release 1.36 means no charts

I tried to upgrade the working release 1.32 on my netbook with Windows XP to 1.36 last night. I uninstalled 1.32 and downloaded release 1.36 from sourceforge and installed it. Now all it tells me is 'no chart available' at the top of the screen. The charts I tried to load through toolbox/charts were CM93 charts which worked fine with the old version. Uninstalling and reinstalling have not helped, nor clicking the 'force full database rebuild' box.

What have I done wrong?? I got release 1.36 to work fine on an initial install on another XP laptop....
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 07:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
What have I done wrong?? I got release 1.36 to work fine on an initial install on another XP laptop....
Can you make sure that there are no international characters in your chart path (жеш etc), those are not functioning with 1.3.6 (should work again in next version afaik)

Anders
Old 29-01-2010, 08:08   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
No international characters--just c:\CM93\
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote