Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2010, 19:04   #1

Marks and Waypoints

I asked before but no one seemed to understand what I was looking for. When you open the marks dialog box, you have all the little pictograms of fish, coral, shoals, buoys, etc. Does anyone know the file format or where these are stored? I'd like a go at making some new ones. Also anyone know the format for the own vessel icon?
Skua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 00:32   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Skua,
Waypoint icons: Routes and Marks | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Own ship icon: part of the code, you have to compile your own binary if you want to change it.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:14   #3

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skua View Post
I asked before but no one seemed to understand what I was looking for. When you open the marks dialog box, you have all the little pictograms of fish, coral, shoals, buoys, etc. Does anyone know the file format or where these are stored? I'd like a go at making some new ones. Also anyone know the format for the own vessel icon?
File format for the icons is PNG

Theses icons are in src/bitmaps/ in the git repository (most are created from SVG but some files are missing in git, I'll ping Dave about that). You'll also find some utility to convert these files to the src/bitmaps/icons.{h,cpp} included in OpenCPN

That means you'll have to compile your own source to include new icons, they are embedded in the binary. There's no dynamic load of such icons (at least for now, may change, who knows!)

Please send your new icons here and on OpenCPN::Tracker OpenCPN - stable: Tasklist so they can eventually get included in future release.

Thanks
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 16:05   #4
Marine Service Provider

Sethdart...

Minor correction.

Uses can build their own mark icons and have them included at runtime.

See the link by nohal above. This procedure is working now.

Ownship icon is built into the code. We have a feature request oustanding to allow user definition of ownship icon. On the list....

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 18:59   #5

Yep I tried the UserIcon folder approach and GIMP to make some new icons that represent more accurately the ATONs we have, where I frequent, such as cans, clam stakes, daymark stakes, and conical day buoys. I can't wait to be able to scale the ownship icon down. At times the OSI covers 60-100 meters! I currently am reworking all the marks so they scale correctly at 1200-800 truscale, which for me is where I feel that low speed navigation for bars, shoals and the like, is best.
Skua is offline   Reply With Quote