Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 12:43   #406

Boat: 29'
Re: Help / FAQ

Nohal:I found I have to Restore the original default in FolderOptions/FileTypes/kap or whatever before I can get to the ADVANCED dialogue.You might have all ready tried this sorry for clutter.I have XP pro.
Cagney:Good Oh!I'm all over this and trying...!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 12:52   #407

Nohal,Cagney!Beauty!!!it works

Nohal,Cagney!Beauty!!!it works!
I put bsb2tif and Kapview in with my charts -both loose in the folder.Then as above,changing Kaps in file Types to Open Kaps with the KapView in that folder....Bingo!This in XP Pro.

Me putting those in with the charts mayn't (likely don't?)matter-just mentioned to describe!

Extra tip unknown if useful-associate Windows Viewer to tifs.I HAD it to Irfanview-I'm returning to the tunnel to hammer out any dents...
Old 22-02-2011, 13:31   #408

(you won't miss me if I don't go away!)
1)Apparently, a copy of bsb2tif need be in the folder or folders with the kaps.(I have several folders)Easy to do!
2)It doesn't matter if Irfanview or whatever is associated to Tifs.That's nice! and easy too!
3)It doesn't matter where kapview is.A single wherever "associated" as always open with works perfectly.It can (I think)also be that kaps can be opened as an option in Windows right-click menu. perhaps called "View" if you don't want the doubleclicking thing...
Old 22-02-2011, 13:39   #409

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
1)Apparently, a copy of bsb2tif need be in the folder or folders with the kaps.(I have several folders)Easy to do!
Should not be needed - my working setup is kapview and bsb2tif in the same folder that is in the PATH - copying the exes all over the place must be a bit annoying

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 14:40   #410
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

When I double click a .kap, I get:
  • Windows Photo Viewer can't display this picture because the file is empty.

I tried it with a US chart, one of the home grown NZ, one of my own home grown terraserver images, and several other sources. Some had uppercase KAP and some lower case.

Win7 64bit.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 15:29   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Should not be needed - my working setup is kapview and bsb2tif in the same folder that is in the PATH - copying the exes all over the place must be a bit annoying

Pavel

so,should I put Kapview and BSB2Tiff in system32 folder?Is that it?I'm missing something,right?It wasn't said exactly...beyond saying "it's in the PATH"
...time passes...tick toc
Tried!Ahh that works.bsb2tif dropped into system32 folder...sorry,I didn't know what you meant as in" PATH".livenlearn....and shwdoc.dll or whatever,the windows viewer,is in there too,I get it.I think.Maybe.Someday.
Old 22-02-2011, 19:27   #412

It does not actually have to be system32. PATH is one of the environment variables which actually defines a list of folders where the operating system looks for executable files. One of them on Windows is system32 folder where the executables that are part of the operating system are kept.
if you want to be a bit organized, you can put the files anywhere and than add that location to that environment variable following for example How to set the path in Windows 2000 / Windows XP.

Sincerely

The Nerd
Old 23-02-2011, 08:13   #413

Nohal:..so that's what that's for!(MyComp/ I actually don't have an existing line for "PATH" in there...just"PATHEXT","ComSpec",etc..but yes,I could make one!
Thanks for explaining!
PS:...I think I notice that the combo (kapview +tif2bsb)run a little quicker when are all in system32 folder together where showdoc32.ll(theWindozeviewer) lives ... It's very cool that I can save the tif too!Bravo!
Old 23-02-2011, 09:18   #414

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post

I tried it with a US chart, one of the home grown NZ, one of my own home grown terraserver images, and several other sources. Some had uppercase KAP and some lower case.

Win7 64bit.

-dan
Dan

First I thought I had to adjust kapview for Win7, but firing up a virtual Win7 64 bit, I found no problems! Kapview jut worked.
The only thing I can think of right now, is that you don't have version 3 on your computer. Thank you nohal, for correcting my faulty link, that must have caused some confusion.
The correct link for version 3 is http://opencpn.avnisoft.co.za/util/kapview3.rar
If version 3 behaves the same on your computer, you will have to run he original ruby code (not yet published, but very similar to the Linux code) to find the bug.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 13:55   #415
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Dan

First I thought I had to adjust kapview for Win7, but firing up a virtual Win7 64 bit, I found no problems! Kapview jut worked.
The only thing I can think of right now, is that you don't have version 3 on your computer. Thank you nohal, for correcting my faulty link, that must have caused some confusion.
The correct link for version 3 is http://opencpn.avnisoft.co.za/util/kapview3.rar
If version 3 behaves the same on your computer, you will have to run he original ruby code (not yet published, but very similar to the Linux code) to find the bug.

Thomas
Sorry, it was my bad.

I never installed libtif or anything else on this machine. I'll go try again, maybe this evening.

-user
Old 23-02-2011, 13:55   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post

Win7 64bit.

-dan
Hi,Dacust
I can reproduce the message you get in my XP if I don't have bsb2tif in the system32 folder with the Windows viewer and cmd.exe...I have Kapview in there too.This might help(to put em all in) if Win7 has a similar setup per Win7 Viewer,system32,etc...I know it shouldn't be needed thataway but it's EZ.
Uppercase,lower case hasn't made any difference.
Old 23-02-2011, 14:30   #417
Obsfucator, Second Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
Hi,Dacust
I can reproduce the message you get in my XP if I don't have bsb2tif in the system32 folder with the Windows viewer and cmd.exe...I have Kapview in there too.This might help(to put em all in) if Win7 has a similar setup per Win7 Viewer,system32,etc...I know it shouldn't be needed thataway but it's EZ.
Uppercase,lower case hasn't made any difference.
Thanks. You probably see that I posted my answer at the same moment you posted yours.

My computer background prevents me from putting any application stuff in system32 at all. NEVER mix system and applications.

I'll just add the proper paths to the PATH.

From what I think I remember Cagney has said, that should work. If not, I'll create a special folder in the application x86 folder to combine it all into and add that to the PATH.

Now, the apps folder is STILL not REALLY the right place to put it as this is not being installed and registered with Windows, but it's close enough for my sensibilities. I think a real Windows person might cringe at this, as well. I still insist on putting my documents into my own set of folders instead of where Windows wants me to.

To be honest, I don't know the proper place to put it for Win 7, probably in documents & settings somewhere.

-dan
Old 24-02-2011, 07:43   #418

Dacust,How did you know?Thanks for the clue!... and for "lurkers"at my level of comprehension per Environmental Variables: Environment Variables in Windows XP .
Old 25-02-2011, 11:42   #419

I am trying to load OpenCPN on my laptop running Windows XP 2002. When I try to open the program it is saying that my '..application configuration is incorrect.' I have tried reloading and even going back to an older version. Nothing is working for me. Anyone have any ideas for me?
dougbeima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 12:01   #420

Doug,
which version are you installing? Try to start at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post568129 and install the MSVC libraries by hand.
If the "older version" is older than 2.2 beta, then your problem will probably be something different. In that case try to manually delete the configuration files. If it won't help come back and we will try to resolve it further.

Pavel