Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2010, 17:45   #301

Boat: May Flower 48 - Stadel 48
Send a message via Skype™ to Jack C
Rotating ship display

If GPS position readings will vary by a small amount due to a small lack of repeatability or the boat is moving slightly.

I think that the changing heading is great, it tells me that I am getting live information from the GPS. You can open a GPS window that shows the GPS messages to see what you are actually receiving.

As many have said before me.

"Never rely on your GPS or chart plotter as a single input of where you are and where you are heading"

Also, if you are using your chart plotter as a compass, realize that the reading is meaningless unless you are moving.

So my vote is not to "fix" this problem. Its not a bug, its a valuable "Iam alive" feature.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 11:23   #302

Boat: She 31B She-bee
Send a message via ICQ to Shebee
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
It's a well known that gpsd ha totally changed its interface with the 2.9x releases.
OpenCPN has not yet adjusted to this fact.
The fix is quite easy. Uninstall the two gpsd packages that comes with Ubuntu 10.4 and revert back to the packages that were in 9.10 (gpsd 2.39.5). To make it easy for you and others I have attached the three necessary packages. Once these are installed things should work as before. This is the setup I have on my two computers.

Also, very important, use synaptic or similar, to lock (peg) these three packages, otherwise they will disappear on your next update, and you have to do this all over again.
Thomas
Hi, I am building a navigation computer with opencpn and lucid. After maney frustrating attempts, I tried your fix. Didn´t work... Gprs is working, xgps is not. I was already able to work with mapsource under wine, after doiing:
sudo modprobe garmin_gps
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1
After the latest upgrades, with the original gprs and libgprs reinstalled, opencpn communicates with my garmin when I first make a waypointtransfer in mapsource. I must do this each time on restarting the computer. (nmea data source libgps, gprs server localhost). Although i can work with this, maybe there is another way?
Thanks for all the effort.
Shebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:18   #303

Boat: pilotboat 36
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blå firkant ved <a title=AIS mål.JPG Views: 200 Size: 101.8 KB ID: 19877" style="margin: 2px" />

What is the blue square next to the AIS target? It follows the target. This is the first time I have seen anything like that.

Michael
motorbaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 17:23   #304

Boat: Binks, Spencer 45 - Scimitar
CM93 Charts Not loading Debian Linux

I have been running opencpn under Windows 7 and XP with no problems but as my laptop is little older have installed Debian Linux and the opencpn.deb package.
The charts only load as a blue outline, when I add the location it seems to only build one subdirectoy, on windows took a long time the first time to add charts. Have also noticed none of the Mariners standards are listed in filters either.

I have looked at other help and is only talk of wrong chart area but the CM93 set is world set.

Opencpn Version 2.1.0 Build 624a
Craig-Helo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 11:31   #305

Boat: Dufour 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-Helo View Post
I have been running opencpn under Windows 7 and XP with no problems but as my laptop is little older have installed Debian Linux and the opencpn.deb package.
The charts only load as a blue outline, when I add the location it seems to only build one subdirectoy, on windows took a long time the first time to add charts. Have also noticed none of the Mariners standards are listed in filters either.

I have looked at other help and is only talk of wrong chart area but the CM93 set is world set.

Opencpn Version 2.1.0 Build 624a
It would help if you published your logfile here. Rename it so the file ending is .doc (to be able to upload it).
Which version of Debian are you using?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 14:51   #306

Quote:
It would help if you published your logfile here. Rename it so the file ending is .doc (to be able to upload it).
Which version of Debian are you using?

Thomas
Linux is Debian 5.0.6 4th Sep 2010. Where do I find the log file? Fairly new to linux.

thanks, Craig
Old 20-10-2010, 09:36   #307

Quote:
Linux is Debian 5.0.6 4th Sep 2010. Where do I find the log file? Fairly new to linux.

thanks, Craig
It's in your home directory called opencpn.log.
/home/Craig/opencpn.log perhaps?

More about this subject in the wiki Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
Old 20-10-2010, 13:51   #308

Quote:
It's in your home directory called opencpn.log.
/home/Craig/opencpn.log perhaps?

More about this subject in the wiki Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Thomas
Please find attached the log file. I see it is not finding the charts.

thanks,
Craig
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.doc (117.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 20-10-2010, 15:26   #309

Hi Guys
I used the deb package to load openCPN in lucid.

It shows installed but when I click on it I get a message startin OpenCPN. then nothing

I have no log file in my home directory or in var/log also tried looking for hidden files

Any ideas?
Thanks
Larry
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 09:38   #310

Quote:
Please find attached the log file. I see it is not finding the charts.

thanks,
Craig
Thank you for the log file.
The basic problem seems to be that OpenCPN cant find a CM93 Dictionary.
In your CM93 directory there should, apart from all the directories that has numerical names, be a few other files.

20100501.EXD
CHRLIST.BIN
CM93ATTR.DIC
CM93OBJ.DIC
LIMITS.DIC
SERIALNO.TXT

OpenCPN is looking in quite a few places but cannot find these files.
Where are they?

In the last few sessions you are running as root, and install CM93 in
/root/cm93. Don't ever run a normal session as root, you are bypassing most of Linux built in security systems. You are one command(mistake!) from destroying your installation! Always run as a normal user and "sudo" temporarily when you need root privileges.

Earlier you had CM93 in /usr/OpenCPN/cm93/. This is not good either.
If you upgrade your system for example, it is possible that the charts will be overwritten and disappear. The correct place for Charts are either in your home directory or in "/opt"

Read about Linux/Unix file system here Filesystem Hierarchy Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck
Old 21-10-2010, 09:41   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Hi Guys
I used the deb package to load openCPN in lucid.

It shows installed but when I click on it I get a message startin OpenCPN. then nothing

I have no log file in my home directory or in var/log also tried looking for hidden files

Any ideas?
Thanks
Larry
Find a command line, write "opencpn", then hit the Enter key.
Report back what happens?

If nothing happens try "which opencpn".
Report back what happens?

Thomas
Old 21-10-2010, 14:16   #312

Quote:
In your CM93 directory there should, apart from all the directories that has numerical names, be a few other files.

20100501.EXD
CHRLIST.BIN
CM93ATTR.DIC
CM93OBJ.DIC
LIMITS.DIC
SERIALNO.TXT

Where are they?

/root/cm93. Don't ever run a normal session as root, you are bypassing most of Linux built in security systems. You are one command(mistake!) from destroying your installation! Always run as a normal user and "sudo" temporarily when you need root privileges.

If you upgrade your system for example, it is possible that the charts will be overwritten and disappear. The correct place for Charts are either in your home directory or in "/opt"

Read about Linux/Unix file system here Filesystem Hierarchy Standard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good Luck
Hi Thomas,

All those files are in the cm93 directory.

Any further suggestions greatly appreciated. Am I better of changing to Ubunti?

Have resolved the root issue, was having trouble getting wvdial working but have resolved that now.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 21-10-2010, 19:44   #313

Quote:

20100501.EXD
CHRLIST.BIN
CM93ATTR.DIC
CM93OBJ.DIC
LIMITS.DIC
SERIALNO.TXT

Where are they?

Good Luck

Hi Thomas,

Have fixed the problem, my file was 20100805.exd changed to 20100501.exd and charts loaded.

Thanks,
for the help
Old 22-10-2010, 06:48   #314

Thomas
Thanks for the response. I had tried the command line approach but that was not the problem. I ended up re installing with the beta product.
And I have it up and running except for one snag.

I have a dual boot system and I have all my charts on the NTFS side which I can direct my linux OpenCPN to.

The only ENC charts I have are for Florida district so not too many. When I try to load the ENC's the initial build that OpenCPN does on the charts causes the program to crash after it has been processing for about 5 seconds. I had to mask my ENC directory to get the program to run. I have a duo Core system with 2 gigs of ram.
I get this in the log. Any Thoughts.

Thanks
Larry

07:22:04 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US1GC09M/US1GC09M.000... return code 1
07:22:04 AM: Initializing Chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US2EC02M/US2EC02M.000
07:22:04 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US2EC02M/US2EC02M.000... return code 1
07:22:04 AM: Initializing Chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US3SC10M/US3SC10M.000
07:22:04 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US3SC10M/US3SC10M.000... return code 1
07:22:04 AM: Initializing Chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US4SC31M/US4SC31M.000
07:22:04 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US4SC31M/US4SC31M.000... return code 1
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 08:26   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Thomas
Thanks for the response. I had tried the command line approach but that was not the problem. I ended up re installing with the beta product.
And I have it up and running except for one snag.

I have a dual boot system and I have all my charts on the NTFS side which I can direct my linux OpenCPN to.

The only ENC charts I have are for Florida district so not too many. When I try to load the ENC's the initial build that OpenCPN does on the charts causes the program to crash after it has been processing for about 5 seconds. I had to mask my ENC directory to get the program to run. I have a duo Core system with 2 gigs of ram.
I get this in the log. Any Thoughts.

Thanks
Larry

07:22:04 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US1GC09M/US1GC09M.000... return code 1
07:22:04 AM: Initializing Chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US2EC02M/US2EC02M.000
07:22:04 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US2EC02M/US2EC02M.000... return code 1
07:22:04 AM: Initializing Chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US3SC10M/US3SC10M.000
07:22:04 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US3SC10M/US3SC10M.000... return code 1
07:22:04 AM: Initializing Chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US4SC31M/US4SC31M.000
07:22:04 AM: OpenChartFromStack...Error opening chart /media/F2F095A0F0956C1B/ENCcharts/07CGD_ENCs/ENC_ROOT/US4SC31M/US4SC31M.000... return code 1
This bug is reported, in FS #175 and other places. The good news is that Dave has fixed the bug in the Git repository. Update and compile, or wait for next beta.

Thomas