Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2015, 05:59   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Free OpenCPN Android Download Available Now.

Ychtmanforfun Pavel has a point here. Just change the code and recompile it yourself. I for one have no immediate interest in making apk because it is a tortured and intricate process, and I choose to leave it to the real pros! My time alotted to Opencpn is much better spent on other things that help the entire community. Your small positive contributions are welcome, so why rail against something that has happened for the good of all users, it was an imperative next step, and with ingenuity, tenacity and smarts, the developers have achieved this goal. The android version may net other good linux windows and mac programmers to help contribute. You may be very pleased with the long term result, so if opencpn matters to you put your shoulder to the wheel in a positive way and enjoy your community and the results. Peace - I know you care and that is good.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 07:51   #17

Just downloaded the full version from Playstore. I had to uninstall the beta before, because Google meant it was already installed and a download wasn't possible otherwise, all setup has to be done once more.
It's an honor to me to support your excellent work, guys! Thank you!
Optiphot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:05   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiphot View Post
Just downloaded the full version from Playstore. I had to uninstall the beta before, because Google meant it was already installed and a download wasn't possible otherwise, all setup has to be done once more.
It's an honor to me to support your excellent work, guys! Thank you!
Ditto. I bought the Play Store version and was happy to do so.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:12   #19

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Ychtmanforfun Pavel has a point here. Just change the code and recompile it yourself. I for one have no immediate interest in making apk because it is a tortured and intricate process, and I choose to leave it to the real pros! My time alotted to Opencpn is much better spent on other things that help the entire community. Your small positive contributions are welcome, so why rail against something that has happened for the good of all users, it was an imperative next step, and with ingenuity, tenacity and smarts, the developers have achieved this goal. The android version may net other good linux windows and mac programmers to help contribute. You may be very pleased with the long term result, so if opencpn matters to you put your shoulder to the wheel in a positive way and enjoy your community and the results. Peace - I know you care and that is good.

What I expect of a Open source community effort is a FOSS version of every OS that the source code creates available for free download as per the GPLv2 on the community website. Then I would be satisfied that every one can choose either the pure Free Open Source software for no cost or buy the commercial version.

If that is not the case for OpenCPN we will definitely be putting a FOSS version called OpenCPN.C.E (Community Edition) on Google play store and forking the OpenCPN source code and starting our own OpenCPN Community Edition website with a big fund raising / awareness campaign to openly and transparently assist financially all new software "plug in" developers and hardware "plug on" developer. I would love to see a OpenCPN autopilot "plug on". My friend just made a Open Source WiFi Plug On. That transmits NMEA UDP over wifi.

I believe OpenCPN has to remain a Free and Open Software.
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:19   #20

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmanforfun View Post
I believe OpenCPN has to remain a Free and Open Software.
It will. Freedom as defined by the 5 basic rights all gpl software guarentees. This has nothing to do with price.

You are free to run, inspect, modify, redistribute and most importantly you guarentee all of these to everyone you redistribute to. That is all we care about freedom, so you are also free to charge a price for it if you want or you may offer it without a price as well.

Please stop posting like this is some violation of free software because it isn't. It has nothing to do with price. It's a pity the english language has the word "free" both a homonym and homograph which results in much confusion.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
It will. Freedom as defined by the 5 basic rights all gpl software guarentees. This has nothing to do with price.

You are free to run, inspect, modify, redistribute and most importantly you guarentee all of these to everyone you redistribute to. That is all we care about freedom, so you are also free to charge a price for it if you want or you may offer it without a price as well.

Please stop posting like this is some violation of free software because it isn't. It has nothing to do with price. It's a pity the english language has the word "free" both a homonym and homograph which results in much confusion.

Sean,

Remember when OpenCPN first came about as a genuine Open source navigation package. That you were free to download as a binary free of Charge . With out paying any money.

It was a community were all volunteers, users and boaters were equal. We could all contribute in different ways to assist in the success of OpenCPN and NO ONE made any money it was all done out of a desire to help our fellow man.

Now that has all been thrown away. There is no free android binary. Unless you pay $10 to a mysterious Google account.

What was wrong with distrusting the android OpenCPN .apk, by free download on the website to all Volunteers and followers.

Why does Dave or whoever have to get $10 for a community product. Does the profits share with all the volunteers. Or is it only shared on a 2 legs good 4 legs bad.

Many people have written of their distaste of what is happening at OpenCPN. There was no need to stop distributing the free binaries. You could have put your "PAID" version on Google and still given the free binaries out.

Why did people volunteer for with this project if it is effectively closing the average boater out from a free copy of OpenCPN for their involvement.

I have had a great response to my concerns and will definitely be putting up a foss version on Google Play to make sure all OpenCPN volunteers get the fruits of their labors.
Old 21-09-2015, 08:48   #22

yachtmanforfun,

Go ahead and fork, but you can guess which one I will run on Android when on the boat.

By the way, I first tried it on the boat yesterday, and found it to be quite good. I am still learning menu changes and had some difficulty getting routes established simply because I was new to it and the screen was in sunshine, but was able to do "Navigate to here" which seemed to work well with GPS on and the sidebar information showing.

I still need to download from Google play.
Anyone figured out how to take screenshots yet?
Old 21-09-2015, 08:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtmanforfun View Post
Why does Dave or whoever have to get $10 for a community product.
If you remove either myself or dave from the equation, opencpn on android would not exist. The same is not true for _anyone_ else. With that said, I am not taking any profits, and dave did about 90% of the work needed anyway. dave has written more of opencpn than all the contributors combined.

Quote:
definitely be putting up a foss version on Google Play to make sure all OpenCPN volunteers get the fruits of their labors.
Please do that.
Old 21-09-2015, 09:06   #24

Quote:
If you remove either myself or dave from the equation, opencpn on android would not exist. The same is not true for _anyone_ else. With that said, I am not taking any profits, and dave did about 90% of the work needed anyway. dave has written more of opencpn than all the contributors combined.

Please do that.
Sean,

Your contribution to OpenCPN and Dave's is unbelievable. Its truly life time achievement award for volunteering. I mean that sincerely. I also like Pavels Chart downloader plug in (I have used it heaps).

But what I really love, was that OpenCPN was a true community. where every one volunteered and contributed.

That's lost now.

People are wondering when will the windows version be a paid only app.

This morning here at my boatyard came the issue of what commercial rate to charge Paid app Opencpn users for installation and configuration assistance. Basically it was why should we volunteer our time to help people for free when other OpenCPN volunteers are making a profit.
Old 21-09-2015, 09:11   #25

Sean, I would personally like to thank you for all the opengl improvements and all your other contributions. I have noticed significant improvements in redraw of charts recently, it feels like a fresh new program and it is clear that these improvements make a huge difference on low powered and smaller cpus.

Note: All users should know that Sean has a way to send contributions through all of his plugins, via the "About Author" button. Sean is World Cruising and would appreciate your continued support. About
Please help him on his travels.
Old 21-09-2015, 09:24   #26

As far a contributions go, Pavel must also be mentioned. He has been a huge steady and constant contributor, and is another mainstay. There are so many that have contributed that is too easy to forget someone, or leave them out, and I would not want to do that.

I have enjoyed working for many of these big contributors, testing, suggesting and helping in whatever way possible. Believe it or not, active users make a difference, so don't shy away please.
Old 22-09-2015, 02:23   #27

Boat: Jenneau SO 47

Thanks - downloaded

Interestingly still crashes on my Samsung Tab when trying to import a route. Has done this in all the beta releases as well. But great to have OPenCPN on android.
Temptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 08:33   #28

Quote:
If you remove either myself or dave from the equation, opencpn on android would not exist.
NOT TRUE! How short is your memory? Take both you and Dave out of the equation and there's me. Originally 'armido', but due to over moderation I dumped that handle for 'wrong'.

I'm the first to get OpenCPN onto android, remember? http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/193

An .apk version of OpenCPN is not the only way to run OpenCPN on androids, just suits lazy people better. And, were there more people who were expending a wee bit of extra effort to tinker with android apps, I believe most features in OpenCPN will work in a chroot linux environment.

So, thanks for keeping your facts straight.

Quote:
The same is not true for _anyone_ else. With that said, I am not taking any profits, and dave did about 90% of the work needed anyway. dave has written more of opencpn than all the contributors combined.

Please do that.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 10:22   #29

Quote:
So, thanks for keeping your facts straight.
Wrong, you are right! In a way (some sort of oxymoron)

I was speaking of opencpn for android, not opencpn for linux running inside a chroot in android. I don't consider programs that require wine to run are the "linux" version of that program neither.

I have always believed simply running linux on the target device is the best solution, but not in a chroot.

The fact is, most people will never even attempt your instructions because they are more complicated than installing the apk version which is sad, but then even if they do, they will find it cannot run as efficiently because it doesn't support hardware accelerated graphics.
Old 22-09-2015, 14:53   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The thread OpenCPN for Android V1.0 Production Release was moved to the commercial forum as the OP was selling OpenCPN for Android for profit.
As someone who is involved with many nonprofit organizations, I can tell you that taking a nominal fee does not make you "for profit." I believe that you grossly mischaracterize the Google Play fee. It is totally voluntary, since there are ways to get the program on your Android device for free (and a little less convenient).

There are costs associated with providing free software, and there is nothing "commercial" about taking nominal voluntary fees to help with those costs.

While we are on the subject of raising funds, there has always been a "Donate" capability for all versions of OpenCPN. You can find it here.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, loa, opencpn