Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 14:18   #1

Export Route to GPS?

Can a route created with OpenCPN be exported to a GPS?

I noticed in the Route Manager that there's an option to Send to GPS.

I wonder- Can you make a route using OpenCPN (while sitting comfortably at a nav station) and then send the route to a hand held GPS? Hopefully the GPS would then be used at the helm and all of the route waypoints/direction etc. would be shown while sailing?

What's your experience?
PDA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 14:33   #2

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: Export route to GPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
Can a route created with OpenCPN be exported to a GPS?

I noticed in the Route Manager that there's an option to Send to GPS.

I wonder- Can you make a route using OpenCPN (while sitting comfortably at a nav station) and then send the route to a hand held GPS? Hopefully the GPS would then be used at the helm and all of the route waypoints/direction etc. would be shown while sailing?

What's your experience?
Yes, if the gps has route capability (not a puck gps) and can talk NMEA or Garmin protocol and is connected to the computer running Opencpn.
Old 02-07-2012, 14:41   #3

Must the handheld GPS be connected to my PC (running OpenCPN) in order for the plotting to occur on the GPS?

What I want to do is simply create a route with OpenCPN.

Export it to a handheld GPS

Turn off the PC

Use the handheld GPS at the helm to following the programmed course.

Can that be done? (yes, I understand the NMEA "talking" requirement)
Old 02-07-2012, 17:17   #4

Boat: Twin Vee, 22 Hawaiian 22'

You would have to consult the owner's manual of the specific GPS you are using to figure out how to let the GPS accept waypoint and route data. Once uploaded to the GPS, yes, the data will be stored on the GPS without needing the computer. Using OpenCPN when you choose to "Send to GPS" a dialog box comes up asking which COM port the GPS is connected to. Only GPS's that allow this feature using STANDARD NMEA language will work. For example, Furuno equipment will undersand NMEA but use a $PFEC command (Proprietary Furuno Electric Company) to send waypoint and route data so it will not work on those devices. The only way to know for sure if it will work on your device is to try it out.
Chris Pinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 18:35   #5

What is a GPS that's compatible with OpenCPN that'll do what I'm trying to do? There's got to be an easy way to find out. Perhaps someone on here knows?
Old 02-07-2012, 21:56   #6

Boat: 29'

not exactly what you want but ...I've had great success withwaypoints(marks) and the "send to GPS" with an old Garmin12xl on the serial port. The waypoints went over while the gps was in use which I thought was awfully convenenient! then ,undocked, it's just a matter of using the GOTO button per each wpt...
But I know that's not exactly your question...
It might take less time to "Export Route" to a memory card and plug it into a newish gps that can read GPX format as it might to "Send To GPS"..than if you would have to change the GPS settings to get it to Accept stuff through the "Port", if you see what I mean.

If you happen to already own a Troublesome handheld, (the Troublesome Co. has such a large market share!), GPSBabel (Free!) will be your friend to convert the exported GPX route to a peculiar proprietary format and upload to the handheld via memory card ,usb or serial port.
But this can still be very fast.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:13   #7

Use the Garmin option under Send to GPS...works well on my Garmin 76Cx. Connect the handheld to send the route the disconnect it to take to the helm.
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14   #8

If you happen to already own a Troublesome handheld, (the Troublesome Co. has such a large market share!), GPSBabel (Free!) will be your friend to convert the exported GPX route to a peculiar proprietary format and upload to the handheld via memory card ,usb or serial port.
But this can still be very fast.[/QUOTE]

What's "Troublesome Co."?
Old 03-07-2012, 13:15   #9

Boat: 29'

"Co." is the abbreviation for "Company".....

The Troublesome Company is a huge enterprise that has carpeted the globe with it's many, many products. Usually, it doesn't display it's own name on these products. It borrows one from another manufacturer, randomly. This is so you won't know you have a Troublesome unit, until you try and use it....
If you phone up Customer Service per the brand displayed, they will naturally be of no help whatsoever., because they didn't really make the thing.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 13:16   #10

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA1 View Post
What's "Troublesome Co."?
I'm guessing it's a large multinational corporation, secretly owning and controlling multiple GPS vendors, and steering them all towards implementing different non-standard protocols in order to make life difficult for OpenCPN developers
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 13:57   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Peterson 44

GPSU - GPS Utility is an easy to use route and waypoint manager that will use just about any combination of route files and can upload directly to hand held GPS of many different kinds. I've used it for years. You can download a free version here GPS Utility - Home
richardhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 15:21   #12

Boat: Cal 28-Simpatico

What if you have a Garmin GPS and there is not a Garmin option in the 'Send To' or in the GPS selection in the toolbox?
markmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 17:54   #13
Marine Service Provider

markmcb....

If you have a USB interface for your receiver, then on Windows, you need the get and install the Garmin USB device driver.

If you use a serial Garmin receiver, with or without a serial-USB adapter, you do not need the driver. You should use GRMN host mode to upload waypoints.

All in the user manual....

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 22:30   #14

Boat: Cal 28-Simpatico

Thanks bdbcat
My problem is with CPN 3.0 for the Mac..on version 2.95, there was an option to choose Garmin...on 3.0 there is not, although nothing else has changed.I have been trying to get my Garmin 76CSx as the NMEA Data Source on 3.0, but Garmin is not there any more as a choice.I guess it's easier to just go back to 2.95 ...although I really like 3.0.
Mark
markmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:12   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Re: Export Route to GPS?

I had a problem uploading a route into Garmin with version 3. I had the option of Garmin or COM3 and tried both Garmin and COM3. Eventually managed it using the COM3 option in the 'send to GPS' pop-up but it took a number of attempts.

Did not have a problem with earlier version of OpenCPN

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, route