Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2013, 22:51   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Zee, does the engine turn at all. That is a partial rotation and stop. Or does it not move at all. The second is actually better as that's most likely stuck rings. remove injectors and pour some ATF in about 1/4 cup ish in each cylinder. Let set for a day or two.

Then use the breaker bar to gently apply a little pressure back and forth. with a little luck the rings would just be stuck to the walls a bit.

If it's the first case where the engine rotates and then stops, then at the very least the head has to come off. On that don't use oil or try a breaker bar, just go ahead and pull the head. Most likely cause then would be a bent valve. Not that big a deal at all. Provided pistons are good still.

Love the engine colors. I can see that my purple and pink engine is just a little boring now...
Ditto on procedure. ATF works wonders but will smoke like crazy for up to ten minutes.

Re: engine color. First thing I thought if was it looked like a box of M&M's.
Old 18-11-2013, 07:35   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: KA LUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
akiguy...i have a shop manual a friend with a bene from 1980s gave me. my engine has no indented engine numbers, only forge drop numbers.
i have been finding parts in mexico here by taking old ones in for new ones. so far, so good. we will be removing head and having it examined when i have my next paycheck, in about a month.
Zee, re having your head examined... that's something that has been suggested to me for many things besides engine difficulties!

Good luck

Jim
Old 18-11-2013, 08:00   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Zee, re having your head examined... that's something that has been suggested to me for many things besides engine difficulties!

Good luck

Jim

lol is why i sed it like i did.... i must need mine examine to still enjoy this even with a scary bi*** engine..lol....i love this lifestyle and my life....and my boat and my newly renamed engine ...is named kalunk now..lol

beni--yes and yes and no...it doesnt move at all just says ka lunk when electrified. so we taking off head and having it examined and make sure is true, and looking inside cylinders and whatever we have to do when the money comes in december paycheck. hen we fixing i will be in mangroves for safety and freedom from renta....when engine is done we go to anchorage with the rest of the cruisers. but only when my engine runs again..
he is making a wrench fro front of engine so we dont have to turn it over with starter..starter is off again...injectors are off....clean towel over engine for prevention of cat fur strangulations....and we rest fro a month then get active again...poco a poco.
as for engine color..just wait until artist gives back the part sh is painting and then comes to visit artistic-ness allover the engine---i dont even know what she is doing ..lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 08:17   #19

ok we broke woodruff key on crank..lol so so far we dont know for sure but he thinks the crank is ok... we be sure when we find new key.
Old 22-11-2013, 09:49   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I have a steel boat. OF COURSE I carry a pry bar...two in fact, one 18 inches and one three feet, plus an 18-inch "breaker bar" with a 1/2 in head and 18 inch plumber's wrench. Really, all I lack is one of those really big torque wrenches so I don't strip certain of the larger bolts in the drive train...

I am no where near at what I consider the correct offshore set of tools and spares (OK, maybe a bit past halfway), but it always surprises me when I step on a cruiser and find a coffee tin full of nuts and bolts and the sort of clutch bag of tools I associate with a reasonably prepared condo dweller.

Zee, I like the colourful block. Much nicer than my black Atomic 4 with a white head.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 18:10   #21

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

Did you remove the head yet, if yes what damage have you found?
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 03:54   #22

Boat: Skookum 53'

Hey Zee, I am sorry about your engine troubles. I can't offer any better advice than what has been given so far. I just wanted you to know that I hope your engine gets better soon. I am glad you found a nice place to land until you do get it repaired, which I hope will be soon. I'm rooting for you.
Old 07-01-2014, 18:38   #23

we took off head. looks ok except the aftmost 2 cylinders have rust. sprayed with pb blaster.
sleeves looked good. pistons no lip. light wear. no scoring. looked like low hours engine.
now we need machine shop.
Old 08-01-2014, 15:34   #24

hee hee hee.... all things happen in timely fashion.... went to marys for my lunch... valentin, the mecanico was there..he said monday machine shop...YAAY.. hope is so.. we see.....
Old 09-01-2014, 18:15   #25

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

That sounds much better than bent or broken valves & messed up pistons, be careful turning it over, the rust in the cylinders can take the edge off the rings. Good luck
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 09:03   #26

oiled and sprayed the living s*** out of it,.... mechanic came today..FINALLY!!!!! to examine, saw what i saw, asked about head gasket..no i havent one..need ALL gaskets, which are obtainable in guadalajara... engine goes to joluco tomorrow... FREEKING-A,mon...¡¡¡¡¡finalmente!!! whooooot...finally i am on my way to repairing this barge...

happy dance!!!!
Old 28-01-2014, 09:16   #27

Boat: Skookum 53'

That is great news Zee, I hope it goes smoother for you from here on in.
Old 28-01-2014, 09:20   #28

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I helped rebuild a friend's Perkins on his cabin sole here in La Cruz last year. He got all of his parts directly from England, from the place with the decent website mailed directly to the marina. Regular mail. 100% success on the parts, the slowest was 1 week. The cost was 1/2 of US prices even after shipping and duty.
Old 28-01-2014, 09:22   #29

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

*pistons, rings, gaskets, lift pump, bearings*
Old 28-01-2014, 10:03   #30

914..awesome...so that is why you have yet to come here tomeet my immobile self..lol
awesome!!

after this is machined, i will need a mechanic to put it all back together , or at least what i cannot do.. and a tank maker to create fro me a fuel tank of decent proportions, unlike the one i have that is not adequate....the machinist will `put that bunch back together, but i need the ancillary yet important stufff back..
oh, yes,, and PAINT!!!! MAS COLORES!!
my injector pump and lift pump an d transmission heat exchanger were a total of under 300 usd to rebuild in full.... i dont know yet how much the machinist is gonna be..."no tan mucho dinero" was guestimate given so far...
so far...so good.... i might buy a second injector pump just for a spare--rebuilder (javier) had a gorgeous shiny one in a case in his shop.... drooool.....was a LOT of money..like 300 usd.....same exact pump sold in usa for over 1800 usd..lol
this place rocks....come on down.....