Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2010, 13:45   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Question Challenge: RTW, Shorthanded, with Minimal Stops and Fairly 'Quicklyish'

Maybe not quite as sexy sounding as RTW solo non-stop........but the recent why go RTW non-stop solo thread got me thinking. Mainly that I didn't want to

But someone (in real life! - I do have one ) recently said something that made me think about where my life was going (or not). The point was that working on my boat meant I didn't have to go anywhere. or do anything and therefore avoided choices. as choices involve risk. and risks mean that sometimes things go wrong.

Annoyingly I realise they have a point

Strange given that so much of my life has involved self destructive stupidity on an industrial scale with no care for any consequences. Hell, it's how I met the late Missus - and therein of course lies the nub of where we are.........

.........at the moment their is nowhere I particularly want to arrive at in my life - but that doesn't mean I am happy with the status quo. It's more a case that it has been easy and requires no effort. And I've always had a lazy streak a mile wide But even I am getting bored..........2 1/2 years now, some things you are never meant to get over - but time to carry differently.........

errrrrr......the above intro was a bit longer and a bit fuller than intended but written now, so it stays

So, back on topic Am thinking of going RTW fairly quicklyish with minimal stops (to replenish / rest / repair) - kick off sometime next year. Thinking more 24 hour of Le Mans endurance racing rather than F1 Grand Prix - develop a routine, head down and plod on. Motivation? I've got f#ck all else to do and I don't want to head off on an endless cruise / holiday (it's my plan B though ). Missing out on a million sights around the world? Maybe so, but done a lot of that already by Jumbo Jet - and from what I remember most of the world is simply full of bars with drunken men and semi naked girls dancing around poles.

My questions:-

if I head south from the UK, do I turn left at South Africa or carry on and turn right at South America?

what's the best month to leave in?

how long will it take?

More seriously

Any ideas on 5 (or 3?) stopovers? (am thinking ability to undertake repairs / re-equip would be useful - so exotic far flung islands out )

and anything else vaguely helpful. or even not

Are my sailing skills up to this? At the moment not. But I figure I know enough to learn on the job. and if not, well - sh#t happens
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 14:02   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww downnnnnnnnnnnn and enjoy!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 14:14   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Well, you asked, sooooo...

South Africa - stop and enjoy. Stay away from the bars and pole dancers.

Australia - Just read "Voyage of Egret" blogs. They rented a small 4wd. vehicle and toured the country. Fascinating place. Stay away from the bars and the pole dancers.

Tasmania - I know, I know, but it seems to me to be just different enough to deserve a stop of its own.

New Zealand - something about NZ and NZ'ers that I find fascinating. Worth way more time than a provisioning stop.

Chili - Patagonia - again, I think it would be great to spend some time there.

Rio de Janeiro - well, maybe check out the pole dancers, or the beaches, or both. Quick stop.

Azores - yeah

Of course if I was doing it I would stop at more places in Europe because I have always wanted to, but that is where you are, so...

Of course you could always go to Japan, the Aleutian Islands, Alaska, BC, PNW ...so many places, so little time.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 14:14   #4
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Thats a very fair question, not far from my own intentions of late - a quick and dirty spin and then perhaps a second time on a slower route once I feel I got the experience out of the way and become that uber-sailor. I actually like the sailing routine and skill part better than sitting anchor'd in a port.. Perhaps because I did a lot of racing, I just get kicks from tuning the rig - gotta stay busy.

Ok back to subject. For me, a direct route to NZ from SF. Doesn't mean I don't have stops as backup along the way, just means I'd like to just haul arse and travel 7k miles or so non stop. From there, repair and readjust...then head east with the westerly winds once around the town back to NZ and head home.

For you, suggest something akin to same - shoot to carib, then down to capetown. Wait for the righteous season...head east once around - NZ or Australia. You can bounce a bit higher out of the 40's if you need to or make stops along that route if needed...then up to carib again. Going WEST just doesnt make sense to me unless you want to do one of those strange coconut route things.

Do you have what it takes? No reason to think you don't. 2 years.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 16:34   #5

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
... shoot to carib, then down to capetown. Wait for the righteous season...head east once around - NZ or Australia. You can bounce a bit higher out of the 40's if you need to or make stops along that route if needed...then up to carib again. Going WEST just doesnt make sense to me unless you want to do one of those strange coconut route things.

Do you have what it takes? No reason to think you don't. 2 years.
Salty... this is a bit like climbing the stairs on your knees, flogging your back all the way... Are you thinking Davo is in that low state of mind?
Carib to Capetown is tough and most go back to the Azores anyway, then head towards S. America before heading east in the high lats. UK to Azores then S. America-ish would be quicker..

Davo is self confessed lazy... I've got the same genes...
MarkJ is doing the easier west about and looking to do it in about 2 1/2 years, with a fair chunk of sightseeing. Still pretty quick.
Hi latitudes is for Tea clippers, record seekers, and those looking to find God again...

Go West, young man...

You can still have minimal stops, enjoy lazy tropical days in the sun.
Also, I know you've gone through stuff most of us can't imagine, but don't rule out a bit of serindipity in your life... and you're more likely to strike it in the warmer climate..

Besides, if our paths cross I'll 'shout' you a beer, and that sure isn't going to happen at the south pole!!
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 17:39   #6
cruiser

VirtualVagabond - what are you talking about, man? This is the classic RTW race route. A nice stop in the carib to have tea. MarkJ is taking the longer route stopping for martini's along the way - who are you kidding?
Old 22-07-2010, 19:46   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

what's the best month to leave in?

how long will it take?

More seriously

Any ideas on 5 (or 3?) stopovers? (am thinking ability to undertake repairs / re-equip would be useful - so exotic far flung islands out )

and anything else vaguely helpful. or even not

Are my sailing skills up to this? At the moment not. But I figure I know enough to learn on the job. and if not, well - sh#t happens
How about following the Velux/5 Oceans route ...Race Route

4 stops at pretty neat places ... CT, NZ, Brazil & Charleston. No problem getting repairs in those places.

Leave in October like the racers. Of course you would fall behind their time schedule at some point but then you just wait for the right weather. Once you got to NZ you could decide if you were up for rounding Cape Horn; otherwise, it back through the Panama Canal.
Old 22-07-2010, 19:59   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The best places in the world to see have nothing to do with sex. When you get older your old friend Dick leads you around less.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 20:15   #9
cruiser

Doodles has it. Of course you can modify it anyway you want, but the basis is there
Old 23-07-2010, 00:13   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Cheers folks - that was a bit of a late night post from me..........

Aaza / Kate's fat thread was a bit of inspiration - announce an intention as part of providing impetus to a goal. Time will tell how that works out.

A nice list of countries - somed of which I have already spent time in. Rio is an idea No reason why I couldn't make it also a mini RTW tour of pole dancing bars even if it means missing a lot out

more thinking methinks. stay tuned...........
Old 23-07-2010, 04:02   #11

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
[QUOTE=SaltyMonkey;489813]
This is the classic RTW race route. /QUOTE]

EXACTLY!!!!!!

He's sailing a Seadog 30, not a goddam Volvo RTW high reaching speed machine... It's strong and seaworthy, but some even consider it to be a motorsailer.
I would have thought we'd learnt a bit about heading out in inappropriate boats for the high lats since Knox-Johnstone won the first solo RTW race (Golden Globe) 4 decades ago... 9 set out, one finished

Again... go west, and enjoy the experience. You've got nothing to prove..
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 04:05   #12

Rule #1 on this boat: No plan is the best plan.

Truly amazing results.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 05:00   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Methinks a bit late to enter but a very useful link

I Now have a chart

RACE ROUTE: 5 Ocean Sprints within a Marathon Solo Circumnavigation

Albeit the leg from Brazil (Salvador) to US and then France looks like a bit of a marketing trip and a way to create a close finish.
Old 23-07-2010, 06:29   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
He's sailing a Seadog 30, not a goddam Volvo RTW high reaching speed machine... It's strong and seaworthy, but some even consider it to be a motorsailer.
No problem. DOJ could just trade it in for this Nordhavn - Power That Is Oceans Apart

Course he may have to sell his goat
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 06:32   #15

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Maybe so, but done a lot of that already by Jumbo Jet - and from what I remember most of the world is simply full of bars with drunken men and semi naked girls dancing around poles.
No offense, but if all you remember are bars with drunken men and semi-naked girls dancing around poles, you wasted a bunch of money on Jumbo Jet airfare.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world