Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 03:52   #1

Air Conditioning Unit

Hello,
I'm continuing to make progress on my 1984 Catalina 30'. I'm starting to do research on a bow hatch air unit. Anyone have any major "do's or do not's?" Anyone have any good experiences with a company or a brand?
Thank you,
Isabel
CoastalLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 05:30   #2

Re: Air Conditioning Unit

I had the marine 5k hatch air for my 27' and would not buy one again. They are heavy to handle and not enough cooling power. Cost comes into play here, but I would get a house free stranding unit or a marine installed unit. If you go the free standing way look at the units with the hi-tech air clean. They also have serious dehumidifiers which help. We use fans to move the heat and cool around.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 09:36   #3

Boat: Catalina 400

We use a 5kbtu window a/c unit in the companion way and a piece of lexan cut to fit around the a/c unit. Not the most convenient set up for getting in and out of the cabin but it only cost $130.We primarily use it at night for sleeping. I am planning on making an enclosure to use in the front hatch. It does a good job keeping the cabin cool up to about 90 degrees.
No_Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 17:25   #4

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

For the hot humid FL summer I installed a $160 Walmart room AC of 6000 btus. We have a 39' steel boat with 2" insulation to the water line. It will knock 20 degrees off the outside air. We mount it over our 24' square deck hatch with a 3/8 plywood baseplate and 2 down ramps, one for cooling and a slightly smaller one for the return air.. It also helps to suspend a water proof cover over it to deflect the rain over it and it also helps cool the unit. Make sure if you use Walmart that you check the customer reviews. Our store carried a 5000 btu unit that was rated poor by most if not all purchasers. We had them order the 6000btu unit in for use and explained to the store manager that they should carry this unit over the crappy 5000 btu unit ( $20 difference in price). COOL hanging out at the marina in the summer that way.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 18:50   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i bought an lg 5000btu window unit in 2011in mazatlan...i keep it on lowest settings to squeeze water out of the air and is perfect..stows when sailing and fits in formosa window in summer. more efficient than marine unit. add a fan to move air and tadaaa....tropical relief.
this summer i may add smallest fridge or an ice maker and a portable tub washer for clothing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning