Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2015, 05:48   #271

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: 2015 Bahamas gun check-in update

Has there ever been an actual case of an American having to use their firearm in the bahamas in self defense??

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Old 15-08-2015, 09:09   #272

What do we think the best round is on a boat?...

It is going to be close quarter work. So think I would choose a 12 gauge cartridge and it gives you lots of load choice.

9mm is going to give you accuracy you cant use. .45 cal will be too hard to manage in a sea.

10mm? You can get a decent capacity mag as well with 10mm so worth considering!

Not sure hand guns will cut it though. I think to complement my sawn off shot gun I would like a ruger mini 30 (AK 47 round). I don't need inch accuracy but you get a round with lots of punch which is available everywhere at your local "guns r us" pirate store in a gun that is easy to maintain.

However, if I got an AR I could get a massive magazine and use my bump fire skills.. Finger tapping!

If I am forced to have only one then I'm going to get a semi auto 12 gauge with a selection of exotic cartridges.

I hate choices.

I read some recent banter about davits... Would make a great mount don't forget.

The real problem is that they have not invented a friend or foe lie detecting radar yet so how we gonna know who the bad guys are? This is the biggest problem or do you just shoot any one that looks suspicious?

I think I will choose stealth and common sense in stead. It has the advantage of not needing to be declared.
paulanthony is offline   Reply
Old 15-08-2015, 09:24   #273

"The real problem is that they have not invented a friend or foe lie detecting radar yet so how we gonna know who the bad guys are? This is the biggest problem or do you just shoot any one that looks suspicious?"

That, aside from the legalities of just having a firearm in many areas, is the problem.

Your out in the middle of nowhere oceanville, and a boat is bearing down on you. It could be pirates/thugs, or it could be someone with a medical emergency and a radio thats out. If you wait ti their close enough its will be too late if they are trouble.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 15-08-2015, 09:57   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
"The real problem is that they have not invented a friend or foe lie detecting radar yet so how we gonna know who the bad guys are? This is the biggest problem or do you just shoot any one that looks suspicious?"

That, aside from the legalities of just having a firearm in many areas, is the problem.

Your out in the middle of nowhere oceanville, and a boat is bearing down on you. It could be pirates/thugs, or it could be someone with a medical emergency and a radio thats out. If you wait ti their close enough its will be too late if they are trouble.
It is just the 2nd amendment cultural overspill trying to establish itself beyond the boundaries of America. No one is out to get you. The chances of you being done over by pirates is something silly like 1 in 100,000. Just stay on the beaten track and rely on the proper precautions and authorities to do the policing. Don't be conspicuous. I find it strange you would prefer all the headaches of gun declaration in an attempt to mitigate such small risks.

The day you find yourself needing a gun at sea is probably the day you can thank your lucky stars if you don't happen to have one. Attack pirates won't be pointing Glocks at you they will be training AK's at you. Your best defence is non engagement.
paulanthony is offline   Reply
Old 15-08-2015, 10:07   #275

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
It is just the 2nd amendment cultural overspill trying to establish itself beyond the boundaries of America. No one is out to get you. The chances of you being done over by pirates is something silly like 1 in 100,000. Just stay on the beaten track and rely on the proper precautions and authorities to do the policing. Don't be conspicuous. I find it strange you would prefer all the headaches of gun declaration in an attempt to mitigate such small risks.

The day you find yourself needing a gun at sea is probably the day you can thank your lucky stars if you don't happen to have one. Attack pirates won't be pointing Glocks at you they will be training AK's at you. Your best defence is non engagement.
Exactly so. Or another alternative is just to stay at home and cut the grass with an armour plated ride on mower in case of impending drive bys.

Is paranoia catching??
Robin3 is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 06:53   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Has there ever been an actual case of an American having to use their firearm in the bahamas in self defense??

He wasn't on a boat, but a friend of mine where I work had to use a firearm to defend himself on Andros Island and killed his assailant back in the 80's. He was a little hesitant when he had to fly back to the Bahamas for the hearing but the judge cleared him at it. There are more and more firearms related crimes and assaults in the Bahamas (mostly in Nassau), including a recent one where a yachtsman was shot to death.

To just assume that no armed boater could ever successfully defend himself, seems kind of narrow minded.

I'll freely admit that not everyone should be carrying a gun. (There are people in our military, and in our police forces, who probably shouldn't be carrying a gun). But, there are a lot of people, believe it or not, who are quite skilled with firearms and quite comfortable with when and where it is appropriate to use one.

I'm not qualified to rebuild a diesel engine. But, for me to extrapolate from that, that no one else is, either, would not be a correct assessment.
Old 17-08-2015, 07:53   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
He wasn't on a boat, but a friend of mine where I work had to use a firearm to defend himself on Andros Island and killed his assailant back in the 80's. He was a little hesitant when he had to fly back to the Bahamas for the hearing but the judge cleared him at it. There are more and more firearms related crimes and assaults in the Bahamas (mostly in Nassau), including a recent one where a yachtsman was shot to death.

To just assume that no armed boater could ever successfully defend himself, seems kind of narrow minded.

I'll freely admit that not everyone should be carrying a gun. (There are people in our military, and in our police forces, who probably shouldn't be carrying a gun). But, there are a lot of people, believe it or not, who are quite skilled with firearms and quite comfortable with when and where it is appropriate to use one.

I'm not qualified to rebuild a diesel engine. But, for me to extrapolate from that, that no one else is, either, would not be a correct assessment.
Finally, some clarity.

Enjoy deer season in Maine. Always have, and always will.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 07:59   #278

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post

Spoken like a true liberal! Rely on someone else to take care of you. Pretend there is no danger to justify no self defense.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 08:43   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post

I know it's next to useless to give an opinion on this topic, but I'll do it at least once more, anyway!

You are saying that a determination cannot be made, that police officers make thousands and thousands of times in their career, and that the vast majority of them, get right every single time, both ways.

Again, just because you don't feel capable or competent to make that call correctly, does not necessarily infer that no one else is capable or competent, either.

Anyway, I will return to other contentious topics, like anchor selection, and what is a blue water boat!
Old 17-08-2015, 08:57   #280

Quote:
I know it's next to useless to give an opinion on this topic, but I'll do it at least once more, anyway!

You are saying that a determination cannot be made, that police officers make thousands and thousands of times in their career, and that the vast majority of them, get right every single time, both ways.

Again, just because you don't feel capable or competent to make that call correctly, does not necessarily infer that no one else is capable or competent, either.

Anyway, I will return to other contentious topics, like anchor selection, and what is a blue water boat!
In the news eery day, shoot first, get suspended have biased enquiry, get off. doesn't necessarily work like that outside of the USA nor do they have TVs in cells. Just a view from an outsider
Old 17-08-2015, 09:33   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
In the news eery day, shoot first, get suspended have biased enquiry, get off. doesn't necessarily work like that outside of the USA nor do they have TVs in cells. Just a view from an outsider
What is the incidence rate of that happening versus a police officer making the exactly right call?

Remember, you are bombarded with news reports when they get it wrong once. You never hear anything when they and all of the people they work with, get it right 10,000 times before that.

For instance, I was a law enforcement officer for twenty six years. How many times did I get it wrong in that time? Well, since I was never in the newspaper, the answer is, I got it right every time. Most officers do.
Old 17-08-2015, 11:53   #282

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:

Jeeesh what seems narrow minded to me is to assume I meant anything by my question other than wondering what the answer was. So many mind readers on here someone please give me the winning lotto numbers

Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 13:49   #283

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

We had an incident on our dock last weekend involving a young drunk male causing a disturbance. The police took over 20 minutes to arrive. If you don't want to have the option to defend yourself, that's your choice, but I could have defended somebody else if necessary before the authorities showed up, and I like having that option.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply
Old 17-08-2015, 14:10   #284

Quote:
What is the incidence rate of that happening versus a police officer making the exactly right call?

Remember, you are bombarded with news reports when they get it wrong once. You never hear anything when they and all of the people they work with, get it right 10,000 times before that.

For instance, I was a law enforcement officer for twenty six years. How many times did I get it wrong in that time? Well, since I was never in the newspaper, the answer is, I got it right every time. Most officers do.
That probably makes you 'old school', experienced and with working brain cells a full tank of commonsense not testosterone and an early life of watching Bruce Willis and Rambo saving the world singlehanded.

I come from a different world where the police are not armed except in very special instances, guns are not free with a packet of cornflakes and where folk still respect and trust the police. I actually quite like guns in the right place, as in hunting or target shooting but whilst out cruising, if I am that concerned for safety from hordes of evil doers then I'm in the wrong place, time to go elsewhere. The problem is that after a lifetime in the USA y'all expect the rest of the world to understand your battle plan preparations when in most instances they do not and will not, when in Rome etc.. different strokes for different folks as my lovely Hoosier lady says.
Old 17-08-2015, 15:07   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
That probably makes you 'old school', experienced and with working brain cells a full tank of commonsense not testosterone and an early life of watching Bruce Willis and Rambo saving the world singlehanded.

I come from a different world where the police are not armed except in very special instances, guns are not free with a packet of cornflakes and where folk still respect and trust the police. I actually quite like guns in the right place, as in hunting or target shooting but whilst out cruising, if I am that concerned for safety from hordes of evil doers then I'm in the wrong place, time to go elsewhere. The problem is that after a lifetime in the USA y'all expect the rest of the world to understand your battle plan preparations when in most instances they do not and will not, when in Rome etc.. different strokes for different folks as my lovely Hoosier lady says.
Then I think you, absolutely, positively, should not have any weapons on your boat.

There is nothing more personal than personal decisions about self defense and I respect anyone who differs with me as long as they don't try and impose their opinions on me. I promise to do the same.

But, I'm reminded of the first time I flew on an airliner after 9-11. It was about a week after the hijackings. Before that, the flight attendants had acted like they barely tolerated letting us on board their planes with our guns (because they were sure, of course, that nothing bad like that could ever happen, and if it did they would handle it). That day, I thought they were all going to kiss me when they found out I was on their flight. So, a lot of the time, I guess someone's opinion can be somewhat fluid, depending on recent circumstances.

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas