Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2015, 15:22   #76

Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Same here.

Bingo!

Exactly the same. Except, when I bought my first gun you had to show a Maine ID. They didn't copy any info from the ID, just wanted to see that you had one. In fact, the store owner already knew me, so I wasn't even asked for ID. Cash. Pistol & Bullets. Thanks a lot. You're welcome. (Door click sound).
Check your pm.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 16:12   #77

Crazy gun totin yanks.

Going to another country with disclosed weapons is one thing, but doing it with hidden weapons is just madness.

And publicising this on the Internet! That is some special kind of stupid...
Moonos is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 16:32   #78

Send a message via Skype™ to wsfenix2002

Although like guns, loads them to security, we have to obey the laws of the places where we're going. Create problems for you is stupid. The world is so big we chose where to go, and we're going to obey the laws of each place.

wsfenix2002 is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 18:00   #79

Send a message via Skype™ to Lserpa

I am sorry to see that the American non-sense about guns is spreading to the oceans. I am not opposed to carrying one or two hand guns, but an arsenal is absolutely unnecessary.

I do not know where you are going to sail, but ninety nine percent of the places you pass by on a circum-navigation are safe (or can be, if you choose your way with safety in mind); and the other one percent can be handled with, for instance, with a signals pistol.

Americans have the indisputable and undisputed right of living (and dying) the way they choose at home. Oceans should, in my opinion, be free of that folly.

(As a small by-side, I just spent a couple weeks in the USA and saw warnings in coffee cups about the fact that coffee is hot, saw speed limits in highways that were ferociously enforced, warnings about steps, warnings about every and anything, as if people were unable to live without someone warning them against the unknown dangers of daily life; and in that same country one can die because someone decided that to have military grade weaponry at home is an inalienable right).
Lserpa is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 18:25   #80

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
NO, Mike, some of us just like to shoot and have been trained to do so. Its not fear, its caution/precaution, because there are those out there who have less than pure motive.

If your afraid of firearms, then by all means, avoid them. But dont be so arrogant as to condemn those who do not share your fear.
Sniper, it's not guns that scares me. It's people like you that scare me. I live in Northern Ontario. There are guns all over the place, and I have no problem with them at all. Guns are excellent tools used for the right situations. Cruising with guns is not one of those, unless you're going to the Red Sea of plan to hang out near Venezuela. In those cases, by all means go armed. But of course the smart response is to stay away.

There are people with "less than pure motives" all over the place. They are called criminals. If your only answer to this is a gun, then you are a danger to everyone around you.
Old 22-03-2015, 19:13   #81
Eternal Member

Quote:

Its a shame that a few ruin a topic for all.
LMAO!

So says the poster doesn't own a boat, has apparently never checked into another country aboard one, is mulling the possibility of mounting Claymore mines on deck, and suggests that part of responsible gun ownership (not to mention the notion of "Leaving a Clean Wake" as a cruising sailor) entails the right to disregard any of another country's laws or regulations which may not suit him personally, should he ever actually manage to venture beyond US waters... How willing would he be to grant that same 'right' to foreign visitors coming to America, I wonder?

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsfenix2002 View Post
Although like guns, loads them to security, we have to obey the laws of the places where we're going. Create problems for you is stupid. The world is so big we chose where to go, and we're going to obey the laws of each place.
For certain, that is always the most baffling aspect of these discussions... Very few endeavors represent the sort of freedom that cruising does, in terms of the ability to pick and choose your destinations... If you're not willing to obey the laws or accept the restrictions on your personal freedoms imposed by another country, THEN DON'T GO THERE... How much simpler than that can it possibly get?

:-))
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 19:20   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Intersting that in neither case, is there any mention made of the 'Special Permit' required to possess a handgun in the Bahamas...

Have Bahamian customs officials really gotten that lax about the enforcement of their country's laws and regulations?

Perhaps even more surprising, might be the apparent lack of interest in collecting the not insignificant fee for said license?

:-)
The statute says revolver. That is a pretty specific mechanism. Does that mean other hand gun loading mechanisms are permitted or perhaps the officials are reading it literally?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 19:21   #83

Send a message via Skype™ to Lserpa

I am sorry I entered this theme. Anyone to tell me how to stop notificatuions?

TIA
Lserpa is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 19:30   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonos View Post
Crazy gun totin yanks.
Yup, those same crazy Yanks that have come to the rescue of so many countries and regions post industrial revolution. Please ask French folks, or British folks, for that matter, if they'd rather be speaking German right now.

Quote:
Going to another country with disclosed weapons is one thing, but doing it with hidden weapons is just madness.
Thanks Mom. We've now made a note of your opinion. Not all folks carry the same type of documentation for international travel.

Anyway, still interested in reading the continued updates from the original poster. As I mentioned previously, it's an interesting topic. Especially in today's global climate.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 19:39   #85

Quote:
Check your pm.
Just did. Nothing new there since maybe around 1 week ago.

Something specific you wish to chat about?

On a different tangent, I'd enjoy seeing a photo of the OPs on-board gun safe. Both closed, and open.

Please continue, y'all.

Ps; The seven seas is truly the final frontier. The "old west", so to speak.
I'll enjoy it, and approach it from that angle.
Old 22-03-2015, 20:02   #86
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
The statute says revolver. That is a pretty specific mechanism. Does that mean other hand gun loading mechanisms are permitted or perhaps the officials are reading it literally?
Seems to be just a use of somewhat archaic language, the word "pistols" is also used, I believe the restrictions and special licenses apply to all handguns, and semi-automatic weapons, additionally...

Quote:
In the Bahamas, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is only permitted subject to stringent conditions 23 36

In the Bahamas, private possession of semi-automatic assault weapons is permitted under licence 33 36

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/bahamas
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 20:26   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sniper, it's not guns that scares me. It's people like you that scare me. I live in Northern Ontario. There are guns all over the place, and I have no problem with them at all. Guns are excellent tools used for the right situations. Cruising with guns is not one of those, unless you're going to the Red Sea of plan to hang out near Venezuela. In those cases, by all means go armed. But of course the smart response is to stay away.

There are people with "less than pure motives" all over the place. They are called criminals. If your only answer to this is a gun, then you are a danger to everyone around you.
Unfortunately the site requires I be polite even though you dont deserve it. If you dont like the topic why dont you just avoid it. No body is forcing you to open this thread. It seems to me that YOU are the troublemaker, sticking your nose in where it is not wanted and stirring up crap. But you wont do that because you ARE a frightened little man, and this is your way of feeling brave. So how about you just stay away. OK?

Before you go, Ill answer something for you and others.

I feel that the right of any creature, man or otherwise, has a natural, or if you are religious, 'God given' right to defend its self. That right is higher than and trumps any man made law. Period.

As far as:

"If your only answer to this is a gun, then you are a danger to everyone around you."

thats not so at all, its just a figment of your frightened little mind. I consider a using a firearm an absolute last step, one to be taken with trepidation, but a step that may need to be taken and when it is, there is rarely a cop or Coast Guard cutter with in 100 yds to bail you out. So if it comes down to my life or someone elses, Im going do do all I can to insure its theres.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 20:42   #88

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

As usual it becomes a battle.
This Forum is about choices.

This Thread no longer has purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply
Old 22-03-2015, 20:44   #89

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
I feel that the right of any creature, man or otherwise, has a natural, or if you are religious, 'God given' right to defend its self. That right is higher than and trumps any man made law. Period.
Sounds good. As long as you are down with "You reap what you sow."

To the OP, I am curious why one feels the need for a gun cruising if one has a German Shepherd. Logistically I think a dog on deck trumps a gun in a gun locker any day.
Old 22-03-2015, 21:15   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post

This Thread no longer has purpose.
You could not be more wrong in your assessment.

This thread has the exact same purpose that it originally had. To spread education to intelligent boating enthusiasts about the experience of a man and his wife (and their dog) who are currently circumnavigating the globe in relation to on-board firearms and jurisdictional gun laws.

It may not be of any interest to you, yet it is to me and others that frequent this forum, as we (at least, I) will be doing the same in around two years time; i.e., circumnavigating armed -- but no dog, especially an 85-pounder.

Gun safe? No thanks!

Please continue.
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas