Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:51   #1

Yaesu System 600/FT 600

Number of questions:
1. Does anybody have a manual? (I tried suppliers/websites etc, mods.dk has most but still far from complete)
2. Does anybody still use this?
3. Is there anybody I could contact with questions on how to set up this machine for data? (Looking at data mode cable at radioarena.co.uk but not even sure what I am looking at).
4. Tips/tricks for grounding! (I am getting a new engine so looking at a very oxidized piece of copper).
Thanks! Arjan
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:38   #2
Eternal Member

Arjan,

The Yaesu FT-600 (AKA System 600) is an excellent little radio. I have three of them at the moment, one on my boat and two in my ham shack.

The rig is simple and elegant. It is still in use, in fact still on the Yaesu (Vertex Standard) website.

If you'll shoot me a PM with your email, I'll send you a copy of the Dealer's Manual. It's a PDF file, almost 6 mb in size. Or, you can email me directly:
bill at wdsg dot com

Dockside Radio (Pactor-II/III Radio Modem sales, FCC License filing, Marine SSB & HAM Radio Net schedules &amp frequencies.) has the necessary data cables for digital modes.

Re: grounding, there are lots of ways to go. First, you do NOT want to run a separate ground from the radio itself. Rather, you'll want to attach the RF ground to the tuner's ground lug (I'm assuming you're planning to use this radio on a boat).

Hope this helps,

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:30   #3

Bill, thank you very much for your reply! I will shoot you an email straight away for the manual. The radio is indeed on the boat (Nordic 40, a Perry design as well). from the Yaesu there is a antenna line to a tuner directly under the backstay, from there the antenna goes to the back stay and heavily corroded copper going under the fuel tank towards the engine. Probably will replace that with the KISS. I understand that I should also put a wire from the ground lug to the ground?
Thanks again for your time!!
Regards,
Arjan
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12   #4
Eternal Member

Arjan,

Manual was sent to you.

The KISS-SSB is a good radial ground system. It, alone, attached to the tuner ground lug should set you in good stead. You can, of course, add to the RF ground system, but most users find it's not necessary.

The wire from the tuner to the backstay antenna should be GTO-15 highly-insulated mono-conductor wire (same type as used for neon signs). Be sure the coax between the tuner and the FT-600 is good, with clean, tight connections. If there's any doubt, replace it.

Power for the radio should be taken directly from the house batteries via AWG6 cables, with ANL or MRBF fuses on both the positive and negative cables, located very close to the batteries. This helps ensure good clean power to the radio and it reduces RFI...both ways, from the radio to other instruments and equipment, and from other equipment to the radio.

Good luck. Have fun...the 600 is a great little radio.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote