Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 16:32   #16

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: Windows based navigation software

RosePoint Coastal Explorer is excellent and worth a good hard look IMO.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 16:39   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandrum View Post
Realize this forum is full of OCPN fans, but the OP was asking about commercial Windows products - I'm interested in hearing about the same if anyone has some recommendations/experience with what's out there...

I didn't see anything about wanting commercial products in the original post.

Just a request for alternatives to OpenCPN which he thinks is "great' but he apparentlycan't find charts for his area.

In that case, helping him to find suitable charts is appropriate.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 18:33   #18

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Don't know why some are down on NOAA charts. After all, they are the charts that all the chart plotters base their data on.

That being the case, we are using Memory Map software on a Panasonic Toughbook running Win 7 Pro. Raster charts are available from the US Canada, and the Admiralty. I have no experience with other foreign charts. Raster images are fine grained pixels (like a digital photo). It is a data set that exactly duplicates a printed chart. This is the same data that private chart printing firms use to print charts now that NOAA is discontinuing that service. Claims are made that raster images are inferior to vector images. While this may be true in the abstract we have found no visible loss of clear resolution on our computer screen no matter the zoom level.

After using Garmin chart-plotters and finding the presentation lacking many of the details of "real" charts, we have to say we love the larger PC screen and our Memory Map system. It uses a readily available GPS dongle that acquires a very accurate position, course, and speed info with few seconds warm-up, interfaces with our AIS, and is capable of providing course info to an autopilot. It has lots of convenient features: Trip planning, anchor alarm, night-vision colors, mouse wheel zoom, and many others.

For the US and Canadian Great Lakes, our cruising area, we have dozens and dozens of charts readily available on the hard drive, including local harbor, river, and lock charts -- the complete set, all for the cost of a half dozen printed charts.

The software is available for Windows, Apple, and Android systems. Check it out:

https://memory-map.com/
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 20:41   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post
Don't know why some are down on NOAA charts. After all, they are the charts that all the chart plotters base their data on.
It's not a case of being "down on them". It's that they do not cover most of the world so are only useful if you sail in certain areas.

Neither MasonC nor I sail in areas covered by NOAA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NOAACharts.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	192498  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 21:23   #20

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post
RosePoint Coastal Explorer is excellent and worth a good hard look IMO.

-evan

+1 on Coastal Explorer. Excellent chart management, easy to use routing, lots of good stuff.

Cheers,
Old 22-05-2019, 00:48   #21

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
For comercial PC nav try SOB from DigiBOAT Navigation Software for GPS Receivers - Software-On-Board Designed by sailors with a very simple and practical interface. It works with CMap charts. Using the super wide charts thhis gives the most economical package I have found. One chart pack fot under &300 covers all of the Carribean Sea. I belive current Raymarine products are now compatable with CMap charts. Does have network capabilities so you should be able to intigrate it with your other instruments. Available as a free trial version.
I agree with what you say about getting charts for open CPN but also find SOB much simpler to use and easyer to intigrate with AIS etc
Would also recommend MOB, having been using it for the last 15 years on Windows based computers. Updated it last year and had good response from their support when I hit a few issues with the upgrade.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 00:11   #22

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Your profile location says Anguilla. If that's your sailing area, the oeSENC Carribbean chart sets appears to offer good coverage:
https://o-charts.org/shop/index.php?...duct&id_lang=4
And that's what I did, thanks for the advice. The charts are not the best I've used, I have Navionics on the chartplotter and NVCharts paper charts, but they seem adequate for the purpose, it's mostly for distance calculations, routes and planning.
As soon as I get time I will see if I get AIS through the Yakker from the HP-33a. I think I have a DaisyAIS somewhere also. I just got the Matsutec HP33a to talk to the chartplotter. Making progress.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 01:02   #23

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Yes, Anguilla. I'm interested in the Caaribbean. I'll try they link you provided. Thanks for your advice.
Another alternative - If you use the nv-chart plugin for OpenCPN you can buy their Caribbean raster charts, which are second to none.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 12:46   #24

Long time I'm trying to find a good charts for Baltics, advice me if you know something too?
georgy.goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 13:11   #25

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgy.goshin View Post
Long time I'm trying to find a good charts for Baltics, advice me if you know something too?
oeSENC / OpenCPN nowadays covers all of the Baltic Sea except for Russia, Latvia and Lithuania, with up to date vector charts. See https://o-charts.org/shop/index.php?...gory&id_lang=4
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 04:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Another alternative - If you use the nv-chart plugin for OpenCPN you can buy their Caribbean raster charts, which are second to none.

Thomas
I have a license for NV charts, will try that. Good charts.
Old 27-05-2019, 03:20   #27

I have a yakker connected to my HP-33A AIS and the yakker webpage debug shows valid AIS sentences. I can't get OPENCPN to recognize them, does anyone know how to set it up?
Old 30-05-2019, 13:36   #28

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwright View Post

That being the case, we are using Memory Map software on a Panasonic Toughbook running Win 7 Pro. Raster charts are available from the US Canada, and the Admiralty. I have no experience with other foreign charts. Raster images are fine grained pixels (like a digital photo). It is a data set that exactly duplicates a printed chart. This is the same data that private chart printing firms use to print charts now that NOAA is discontinuing that service. Claims are made that raster images are inferior to vector images. While this may be true in the abstract we have found no visible loss of clear resolution on our computer screen no matter the zoom level.

After using Garmin chart-plotters and finding the presentation lacking many of the details of "real" charts, we have to say we love the larger PC screen and our Memory Map system. It uses a readily available GPS dongle that acquires a very accurate position, course, and speed info with few seconds warm-up, interfaces with our AIS, and is capable of providing course info to an autopilot. It has lots of convenient features: Trip planning, anchor alarm, night-vision colors, mouse wheel zoom, and many others.

For the US and Canadian Great Lakes, our cruising area, we have dozens and dozens of charts readily available on the hard drive, including local harbor, river, and lock charts -- the complete set, all for the cost of a half dozen printed charts.

The software is available for Windows, Apple, and Android systems. Check it out:

https://memory-map.com/
Totally agree with the use of software that uses raster charts. Hydrographic offices the world over evolved symbols and abreviations that portray everything we need to know and more on a paper chart.
I don't think much of the many digital chart formats that aim to make money from copying IHO sanctioned paper charts. They inadvertently leave information off and often don't let the user know there is a larger scale chart available for a particular area which show hazards. Many symbols and abreviations are simply left off the digital version because they weren't understood during the manual digitising process (human errors by non mariners)
I also use Memory-Map here in Australia and New Zealand with raster (real image geo referenced) charts.
I am prepared to use digital charts if they are produced by the official hydrographic offices and IHO approved.
Old 31-05-2019, 06:44   #29

No mention of Polar View? https://www.polarnavy.com/main/prod1

I find it a reasonably priced software that runs much faster and looks much better than OpenCPN.
tschmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 07:21   #30

Boat: Peter Cole 15m ketch aluminium

You can run Time Zero on a pc at the Nav station and it will link with a Furuno chart plotter at the helm.
Antony Masters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, software, wind