Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 19:28   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clayton, NY
Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Posts: 210
Re: Wifi Booster for Bahamas & Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Any of the Mikrotik routers with a USB port will accept USB modems such as the Sierra Wireless Aircard 308u. An unlocked 308u will work in North America and much of the Caribbean with GSM through HSPA+ service on 850, 1900 and 2100 Mhz. It is easy to switch out the sim as you move from island to island.

It has an MMCX antenna connector if you want to get fancy and add a high gain cell antenna.
Bob, How would this compare with the WiriePro? Looks like the Wirie isn't compatible with cdma sim cards. Is the Sierra Aircard compatible with both GSM and CDMA?
__________________

__________________
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 19:56   #32
Marine Service Provider
 
W32PAMELA's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wewahitchka, FL
Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Posts: 265
Re: Wifi Booster for Bahamas & Caribbean?

Forget about Verizon if you plan on being out of the US. The 308u usb stick does not do CDMA. The rest of the world does not do CDMA. If you want something that is close to worldwide then you don't start with Verizon. If you want a usb stick that does CDMA then you could get a Pantech UML295. I haven't tried one but reports indicate these will work with Mikrotik routers but it won't help you when you want to switch to a sim card from one of the Caribbean islands; Lime etc.

I've never used a Wiriepro but I am sure that a router and usb cell stick down below will not be as good as a wirie pro mounted outdoors with a cell antenna. If you put the router and usb stick in a waterproof box, add a high gain cell antenna and use a Groove and antenna to provide a wifi signal to the router then you will probably have comparable performance to a Wiriepro. It would have to be a DIY system.
__________________

__________________
Bob Stewart
W32PAMELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 22:22   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: French Polynesia
Boat: Allied 39
Posts: 392
Re: Wifi Booster for Bahamas & Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Any of the Mikrotik routers with a USB port will accept USB modems such as the Sierra Wireless Aircard 308u. An unlocked 308u will work in North America and much of the Caribbean with GSM through HSPA+ service on 850, 1900 and 2100 Mhz. It is easy to switch out the sim as you move from island to island.



It has an MMCX antenna connector if you want to get fancy and add a high gain cell antenna.

We have been running a wifi extender from island time for 3 years now and I am in agreement with Skip. The unit is really plug and play and Bob is terrific with customer service. Simply the best! We have put it thru its paces and have seen connections from more than a mile away.

We also installed a Mikrotik router at the same time we installed.the groove. Would you have the time to explain how one goes about setting it up to accept a USB dongle with a data card. We are in French Polynesia where wifi is awful but some locations we could use the stick.

Thank you in advance for your time

Chuck
Jacaranda
Marquesas



www.jacarandajourney.com
__________________
www.jacarandajourney.com
chouliha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 04:41   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Clayton, NY
Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Posts: 210
Re: Wifi Booster for Bahamas & Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Forget about Verizon if you plan on being out of the US. The 308u usb stick does not do CDMA. The rest of the world does not do CDMA. If you want something that is close to worldwide then you don't start with Verizon. If you want a usb stick that does CDMA then you could get a Pantech UML295. I haven't tried one but reports indicate these will work with Mikrotik routers but it won't help you when you want to switch to a sim card from one of the Caribbean islands; Lime etc.

I've never used a Wiriepro but I am sure that a router and usb cell stick down below will not be as good as a wirie pro mounted outdoors with a cell antenna. If you put the router and usb stick in a waterproof box, add a high gain cell antenna and use a Groove and antenna to provide a wifi signal to the router then you will probably have comparable performance to a Wiriepro. It would have to be a DIY system.
Bob, I'm a Verizon subscriber and for northern NYS, it works for me. As I sail down the East coast, I'll continue to use it where I can. As you say, once I leave U.S. waters (and apparently even in the USVI), I'll need to switch to the local providers (and their GSM cards): Nothing's ever simple. I may try adding a Verizon hotspot to my plan if I can figure out a cost-effective way of doing that.
__________________
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 06:03   #35
Marine Service Provider
 
W32PAMELA's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wewahitchka, FL
Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela
Posts: 265
Re: Wifi Booster for Bahamas & Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We also installed a Mikrotik router at the same time we installed.the groove. Would you have the time to explain how one goes about setting it up to accept a USB dongle with a data card. We are in French Polynesia where wifi is awful but some locations we could use the stick.
Chuck,
Do you already have a usb modem? If so stick it in the USB port then go in the router to System->Resources->USB and see if your modem is listed. Email me directly and I can address your specific circumstances. I am just learning the ins and outs of cell modems myself.

This link, Option Globetrotter HSDPA USB Modem - MikroTik Wiki, will take you to a wiki example of setting up a USB modem.

If the router recognizes the modem it will usually create a PPP interface for the modem. This interface is where you add the details for your ISP and for the modem.

You also need to create a NAT masquerade for the PPP interface.

The "Mikrotik Supported Hardware" list will show you modems that users have found to work. This is a user supported list and is not complete by any means.

If you need to get a modem you have two tasks. First you have to find one that will work with the local phone company and then you have to find if it will work with your Mikrotik.
__________________
Bob Stewart
W32PAMELA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 23:26   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 111
Re: Wifi Booster for Bahamas & Caribbean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think your only real use for a Wifi booster these days is to boost the signal for a secured network that you have the password for.
A few people become friends with the person that works at the desk of a Hotel or Marina, shore side restaurant etc. and get a password
I agree 100 percent with this. I recently completed 4000 nm in the Bahamas and Caribbean and found very few places with free wifi that was accessible from my boat. In fact the one time I remember using a shore wifi from my boat was when I got the password from the nearby restaurant when we had a drink there.

But there is another reason for the wifi booster. Marinas are notorious for poor wifi. The booster will help you connect there.
__________________

__________________
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Bahamas, Caribbean, rib, wifi

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best WiFi booster Clipper4730 Marine Electronics 17 19-03-2015 15:28
Alfa WiFi Booster on a Mac Anomaly Marine Electronics 10 15-09-2014 16:19
For Sale: WiFi booster antenna SailorHarry Classifieds Archive 0 09-04-2014 12:41
tablet wifi aerials (booster/amplifer/repeater) jacaranda Marine Electronics 0 04-12-2013 13:32


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.