Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2010, 17:27   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Wi-Fi Signal, But No Connection?

I have a Hawking dish (HWU8DD) and we have tried it twice and found a few non-encrypted sites while anchored but could not connect with them. All looks fine on the dish and it's software screen but no workee.

HP laptop.
Windows XP.

I don't have screen shots (even if I had them I am not sure I could get them here for you to see anyway) but there is a screen that shows multiple sites, some labeled as encrypted and some as not. Click on the connect button and it appears as though one is connected but IE will not connect.

??

Oh yea,

If you can't do a very simple step by step (click this, then click that) for checking (difficult I know) then I won't be able to follow you and you will be wasting your time.

I don't want to waste your time.

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 20:26   #2

Boat: pilot cutter
Go into the network settings for that connection, under TCP/IP , and specify the 'Default Gateway' IP address, which would be the IP address of the access point you are trying to connect to. Sometimes Windows networking can't find its way without being told where exactly to go (besides to hell). Sorry, somebody else can spell out the step by step if that isn't clear.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 22:49   #3

Boat: private yacht always moving
go to

Microsoft Support

type in your problem and it will give you step by step answers that are easy to understand
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 13:07   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Go into the network settings for that connection, under TCP/IP , and specify the 'Default Gateway' IP address, which would be the IP address of the access point you are trying to connect to. Sometimes Windows networking can't find its way without being told where exactly to go (besides to hell). Sorry, somebody else can spell out the step by step if that isn't clear.
Thanks, I will try that the next trip.
Old 20-01-2010, 13:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
go to

Microsoft Support

type in your problem and it will give you step by step answers that are easy to understand

.http://www.bing.com/search?q=I+have+...scope=web&qs=n..................

There are no documents that match your search

Please try a different search above or try one of the related links below.

• Content that matches your query is not available at this time. However, Microsoft adds new documents regularly, and may provide information similar to what you are looking for in the future.

Old 20-01-2010, 14:24   #6

There is no easy way to determine the default gateway address or DHCP scheme of a remote wireless network unless you are already connected to it. Next time "it appears as though one is connected but IE will not connect" try this:

1. Click Start/Run, type "cmd" <enter>

2. At the command prompt, type: "ipconfig /all" <enter>

3. You will get a display of TCP/IP settings - find the one for your wireless adapter - you may have to scroll up or down to find it.

4. If it says "media disconnected", then well, you’re not connected. There are too many possibilities (including low signal strength) to address here. But, you can try typing "ipconfig /renew" <enter>.

5. If instead you see an assigned IP address, default gateway, and DNS server address, test the connection as follows:

a. Type "ping 127.0.0.1" <enter> IF you get 4 replies, TCP/IP is properly installed and functional.

b. Type "ping (IP address of default gateway from #5)" <enter> IF you get 4 replies, you are connected to the wireless network with a compatible IP address.

c. Type "ping 4.2.2.1" <enter> IF you get 4 replies, you are connected to the Internet AND the problem is likely with IE, your firewall/security software, or some other settings and not the wireless connection itself.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 14:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
. Next time "it appears as though one is connected but IE will not connect" try this:

THANK YOU.

Copied, printed, in the bag.
Will attempt a test this weekend.

(we are going sailing again - whew!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 21-01-2010, 15:04   #8

I have been known to turn off the wifi button on my HP.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 15:12   #9

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
My browser if Firefox. On the bottom line there is a character showing a screen. When I have a similar thing I right click on the TV looking thingie and it gives me some options. I click 'repair'. It always works. Well, okay, sometimes it works. I am not a geek. Really. I am barely literate in computerese. What do you mean, you don't use Firefox. Are you crazy?
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 15:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have been known to turn off the wifi button on my HP.

Is that a real button or a screen button?

It is my wife's laptop. I don't use it but we are trying it out on the boat.

Obvioulsy with no luck so far.
Old 21-01-2010, 15:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Is that a real button or a screen button?

It is my wife's laptop. I don't use it but we are trying it out on the boat.

Obvioulsy with no luck so far.
It is a real button with a wifi symbol on it. Mine lights up blue.

See also this page: http://h20239.www2.hp.com/TechCenter...ireless_TS.htm
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 17:13   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It is a real button with a wifi symbol on it. Mine lights up blue.

See also this page: HP Wireless Networking Center - Troubleshoot your wireless network

OK,
At home I can have that button on or off.
I hook up the hawking and it sees the network. If I put in my code it connects and I can then get on the internet.

While we were out we were not asked for a key because they were unencryped sites and it said we were connected but we could not access the internet. IE just gave us the "could not connect to page" or whatever they say.

Will try tomorrow evening I suppose.
Old 22-01-2010, 05:34   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
OK,
At home I can have that button on or off.
This button should be set to off when using the Hawking. When it's on you've got 2 wireless adapters when you plug in the Hawking and you don't know which is being used by the computer.

Quote:
I hook up the hawking and it sees the network. If I put in my code it connects and I can then get on the internet.
Turn off the internal adapter and test again with your home network. If you can connect, take the system on the road and test it with open systems that you know have internet; libraries, restaurants, your marina etc.. You should be able to make a connection while sitting in the parking lot. If you can connect to AP's around town then the Hawking is working and the problems you've had are because of poor signal quality. It is possible to connect to an access point, get an IP address and still not get DNS IP information required to get to the internet. It is also possible that you are connecting at anchor to an AP that does not have internet.
Old 22-01-2010, 05:52   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Comments from a wifi amateur but frequent travelor.

I have frequently encountered this situation while on the road, a strong signal, computer says it is connected to the wifi source, but no internet. I have read comments from "experts" that say just because the wifi source does not show as locked, encrypted or ask for a password it does not mean that the system open for access. Some wifi sources look open but will not allow outgoing data to a computer that is not on the authorized list that is programmed into the hardware by the owner of that system. Essentially you can see it and talk to it but it will not talk back to you.

I make these comments assuming you are trying to link to some random wifi that you found with your laptop and not one where you have a subscription, password or other "formal" access arranged.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 06:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Some wifi sources look open but will not allow outgoing data to a computer that is not on the authorized list...
Exactly how I had my home wifi network setup at one point. From the outside it appeared to be completely open and unencrypted, but if your computer wasn't on my list of acceptable MAC codes then you weren't going to get any response. This may be what is happening.

Do you see more than one unencrypted network? Have you tried all of them? If you have only been trying to connect to one, it may be protected by a MAC code list. If you have tried several and gotten the same results then I would guess it has something to do with your setup.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote