Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2012, 21:10   #1

Why would I want a dedicated AIS display?

Why would I want to have a dedicated AIS display like say the Vesper Watchmate as having the AIS overlayed on the plotter is good enough isn't it?
Otherwise its yet another seperate screen to look at. I can imagine that its nicer to have it seperate but then you have to find space for it etc etc.

I see some nice things like the DSC calling but I can get that from a VHF radio such as the GX2100 Standard Horizon with built in AIS.

comments welcome
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 21:28   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Why would I want a dedicated AIS display?

I'd rather have an overlay any day, especially if the charter and radar are also overlayed. That way you can tell instantly whether the radar target you're seeing is also the vessel transmitting on AIS.

While a dedicated display might reduce clutter on the plotter when not offshore, it also is going to consume more amperage and take up valuable space.

Finally, with an overlay system, AIS signals show up both at my helm and in the nav station. I'd need two dedicated displays to replicate that.
Old 19-04-2012, 22:04   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The big advantage is the power draw is much less than running the plotter, but with most units you can overlay as well.
A dedicated unit also allows people with an older chart plotter to have an AIS display and provides a back up.
If something goes wrong with the plotter you loose radar as well, so sill having an AIS display can be especially helpful.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 05:56   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Fuss,
Bash and Nolex have given you the direct answers....

And, since I've been using a dedicated AIS receiver for about 6 years now (a SiTex / Nasa Marine "AIS Radar" unit), and I've got a new Vesper WatchMate that I'm installing in a couple weeks, along with a new AIS transponder, perhaps I can amplify things a bit, with a summary....

Have a look at my Nav Station to see my set-up....
Nav Station

a) When sailing offshore most of us (including myself) do NOT use a chartplotter, and many do NOT use radar unless in fog/heavy rain.....
So, if desiring AIS reception (or a transponder), the Vesper WatchMate is a fine choice.....

b) Low power consumption is the key thing here.....you can run a dedicated monochrome AIS display (with receiver or transponder) all day (24 hours) with about the same power that you'd use in just an hour or two of running a chartplotter......

c) There are many, many boats sailing the world without chartplotters at all, and/or with older chartplotters/radar units which cannot be configured for/used as an AIS display.....
(Even the original Raymarine E-series displays needed a new software version to be used as an AIS display.....)

Fuss, I do hope this helps explain things....

Fair winds...

John
s/v Annie Annie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 06:31   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If you are using the SH GX2100, it is a standalone AIS unit with a built-in AIS display on it and full data information, CPA, TCPA, etc for all targets.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais