Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 19:07   #31

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M
Re: Which Tablet.

What navigation software would you recommend for the Nexus 7? I have found the acquisition time is very fast and I am now trying to find the best waterproof case for it. I never imagined when I purchased it that it has possibilities for a bit of a chart plotter substitute.
Old 20-11-2013, 04:14   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwireman View Post
What navigation software would you recommend for the Nexus 7? I have found the acquisition time is very fast and I am now trying to find the best waterproof case for it. I never imagined when I purchased it that it has possibilities for a bit of a chart plotter substitute.

There have been a few threads on that recently... you can probably search "Nexus" and find 'em...

-Chris
Old 20-11-2013, 05:18   #33

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post
Thanks everyone for some great advice .It appears that most of you are using Ipads and are happy with them as a navagation device. I will probably go for an Android only because once you get into a 10 inch Ipad with cellular and some decent memorey it starts getting very exspensive.
And if you don't buy one with cellular (SIM) support the price is significantly less. I just set up a hotspot using my phone for wifi access from my tablet when needed. At home and on boat have a wifi hub so no need for SIM support there. This works well for me.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 05:19   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
navionics support says that they are working on a new release for android that will make it on par feature wise to the ios iphone version. they expect it to be released before the new year
That would be great. Really limited now.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 06:25   #35

Boat: Hunter 37C
An Android Navionics upgrade, making it as feature full as the iPad is good news indeed! I can't wait!!
B25Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 06:44   #36

Boat: OPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
FWIW, Delta is issuing M/S Surface 2s to its pilots to replace the iPad. Not sure if this has to do with technical stuff or just marketing, nor how it translates to sailing nav abilities.
I got an iPad with 3G just to get the gps for nav. I work with a couple of geeks who are absolutely losing it over the Surface Pro 2. At $699 it is comparable to a high end iPad but appears to be so much more. I was thinking about getting my wife an iPad for Christmas, now I'm thinking I'll make work buy me a surface, pass my iPad on to the wife, and get her something else....I will ask geeks about gps options for surface today. Knowing them, they will recommend some missile guiding capable chip.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 07:08   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

We recently sailed from Onset, MA to Annapolis MD. Our onboard charting sources were a Samsung phablet (friends), and Galaxy Tab 7, and a Windows 8 computer with OpenCPN. The computer was on 24x7 down below, and either the tablet or phone were used in the cockpit almost all of the time. This worked very well, but, it was dry sailing. If it was wet, it would not have worked, even if the tablet, phone was in a dry case, as we had to have them attached to a cigarette lighter.

On our previous boat we have a Simrad NSS7. This was SO MUCH EASIER TO USE. You can find these online for less than $900. I would never consider a tablet as the primary navigation tool. If you do, someday, that decision will prove to be a mistake. I have always thought that, but this trip reinforced my conviction.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 09:23   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Grind View Post
Surface Pro 2. At $699 it is comparable to a high end iPad but appears to be so much more.
My wife's iPad is 2 years old so ready to be replaced. I had ruled out the surface mostly because I was worried about app availability. Are there good charting programs available for surface without buying the full PC version?

For example Navionics is $20 for the Mobile version and $150 for the PC version. My fear is that for surface you would have to buy the PC version.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 11:00   #39

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

iPads only last 2 years? We don't have a tablet, but are considering getting one. Was thinking iPad, but not willing to spend $800 for a 2 yr lifespan.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 11:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
iPads only last 2 years? We don't have a tablet, but are considering getting one. Was thinking iPad, but not willing to spend $800 for a 2 yr lifespan.

Mark
IMHO tablet life-cycles are more like cell phones than laptops. Most daily users will replace every two years, but some light users will probably keep the same one for much longer. If you use it daily the battery is pretty much shot after two years.

I know people who are on year 5 of their iPhone, but most people I know replace them much more often.
Old 20-11-2013, 11:24   #41

Quote:

Mark
Agreeing with RainDog.

The computer/tablet/phone market reality is that technological progress is still rapid, and in two years most people can be enticed into upgrading... the market sort of depends on this.

That's not to say that a device like a tablet will self-destruct or become inert in 3 years, but because of the above market reality, we're finding that most devices are not built for, say, 10 years in a boat.

This is one of the reasons why dedicated marine instruments cost more - they last longer and they are usually supported and repairable.

Tip - don't buy anything "computer" when it first comes out... wait somewhere between 6 and 18 months, and watch the reviews. Unless you don't mind being part of the beta-test
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 12:58   #42

Hmmm, I'm still using the cell phone I got in 2006. We use our computers until they drop dead (2007 still going strong). Even if the iPad battery wears out, Apple will replace it for $99. (seems they just send you a new iPad rather than take it apart and put in a new battery).

So other than desired whiz-bangery with new models, there really isn't a problem after 2 years?

Yes, yes, I know the difference between a chart plotter and a tablet. We are looking for a tablet for routine web/email stuff and traveling lighter, not as a chartplotter replacement.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 20-11-2013, 13:15   #43

Quote:
So other than desired whiz-bangery with new models, there really isn't a problem after 2 years?
My desktop here is like 8 years old (but has gone through 3 hard-drives, two video cards and a few fans). I have a 6 year-old netbook. Last weekend I finally disembowelled a PC tower from (gulp) 1994. So, I dig old...

I do know that with industry demand, price pressures, and even some parts counterfeiting, some electronic components don't have lifespan as their prime design goal. I recall that there was a big problem a few years back with electrolytic capacitors that were failing early - like 2 years or less.

I don't have hands-on experience with tablet longevity yet. If they've benefited from smart-phone construction methodology, I'd assume that means durability which is good. With care and no accidents, I'd expect a tablet to be dependable for maybe ... 5 years, with anything after that being bonus. Not counting batteries, of course.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 13:20   #44

Quote:
Hmmm, I'm still using the cell phone I got in 2006. We use our computers until they drop dead (2007 still going strong). Even if the iPad battery wears out, Apple will replace it for $99. (seems they just send you a new iPad rather than take it apart and put in a new battery).

Yes, yes, I know the difference between a chart plotter and a tablet. We are looking for a tablet for routine web/email stuff and traveling lighter, not as a chartplotter replacement.

Mark
Based on this, and my experience with the iPad 2, I would expect an iPad to last you at least 4-5 years.
Old 20-11-2013, 13:30   #45

4-5 years is within my expectations. Maybe a tablet in our future after all.

Mark