Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2013, 14:25   #46

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Which Tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
.... I have a 6 year-old netbook... So, I dig old...
I don't have hands-on experience with tablet longevity yet. If they've benefited from smart-phone construction methodology, I'd assume that means durability which is good. With care and no accidents, I'd expect a tablet to be dependable for maybe ... 5 years, with anything after that being bonus. Not counting batteries, of course.
Khagan1227 mentioned his ASUS Transformer. I think they provide tablet convenience with netbook like 1.4ghz processor, keyboard, usb, etc. at an affordable price. certainly less expensive than the Surface. Available with Win8 or Droid OS.
Old 20-11-2013, 21:29   #47

Boat: OPB
So I was wrong, its $899 not $699, but there are cheaper versions. There is an LTE version slated for next year that will reportedly have integral gps. Runs on windows 8.1 so open CPN should run fine. Guess we'll have to wait a little longer.
I.Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 21:47   #48

There are supposed to be some serious fire sales on android tablets this holiday season. If you shop carefully I bet you could get a really nice one for $300.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 10:56   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
There are supposed to be some serious fire sales on android tablets this holiday season. If you shop carefully I bet you could get a really nice one for $300.
I'd definitely wait until after Christmas. The competition is really heating up, andriod vs Win8, keyboards, GPS and more ports being added to lower price models.

Does anyone know if you can use VM or virtual PC on a Win8 tablet to run andriod?
Old 21-11-2013, 11:28   #50

There will be some clearance and loss-leaders on Black Friday, and if this year is like last year, some sellers dropped their drawers well before Christmas. But as always with computer stuff, prices for a given item almost always head down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
Does anyone know if you can use VM or virtual PC on a Win8 tablet to run andriod?
Well, I had this snappy reply all ready... something along the lines of "Android is a shiny pink bicycle with training wheels, and Linux is a Harley Electra-Glide", so you should first consider installing Linux...

And it's something to think about... but while looking for ammo, I fell across this machine: ASUS Transformer Book Trio, which is a Windows 8 touch laptop AND an Android tablet.

... WHAAAAT? - this is something to watch...

and finally, something called Bluestacks will let you run Android apps on a PC or Mac
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 14:11   #51

Quote:
... something along the lines of "Android is a shiny pink bicycle with training wheels, and Linux is a Harley Electra-Glide", so you should first consider installing Linux.... but while looking for ammo, I fell across this machine: ASUS Transformer Book Trio, which is a Windows 8 touch laptop AND an Android tablet.

and finally, something called Bluestacks will let you run Android apps on a PC or Mac
Cool! Thanks for the links. I have win7, XP (don't ask), and Ubuntu on my netbook... just no need for android yet... plus I don't have a touch screen.
Old 21-11-2013, 14:32   #52

Still happy with my Pantech Element after almost 2 years of daily use.

1.5GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 processor using ICS
Waterproof
Mobile sim card slot
Stand alone GPS (both types of satellites - GPS and GLONASS)
16GB onboard and 64GB slot
USB - HDMI slots
Looong battery life
Less than $200 unlocked
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 14:39   #53

Boat: Seafarer 38
Get an iPad with a cellular connection. It will have true GPS and also work with network SIM cards. It is backed by Apple
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 14:41   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
FWIW, Delta is issuing M/S Surface 2s to its pilots to replace the iPad. Not sure if this has to do with technical stuff or just marketing, nor how it translates to sailing nav abilities.
They are still issuing iPads as well. This was MS PR and a way to get surfaces out there. Why go to an unproven tablet?
Old 21-11-2013, 14:43   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
iPads only last 2 years? We don't have a tablet, but are considering getting one. Was thinking iPad, but not willing to spend $800 for a 2 yr lifespan. Mark
My original generation iPad still works fine. My old assistant uses it now.
Old 21-11-2013, 15:02   #56

My big dilemma is which Android tablet to get my wife. Love my Nexus 7, but she really needs a 10'. I need cell connections. I considered the new Kindle, but it does not have access to the play store, which seems like a deal breaker. No compelling Nexus 10 yet. Seems like the market leader is Galaxy, but have not talked to anyone that uses one.

She uses it like 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, so for sure she wants something light, reliable, and highly usable. Perhaps I just need to wait until the next gen Nexus 10 comes out.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 23:41   #57

Quote:
... but while looking for ammo, I fell across this machine: ASUS Transformer Book Trio, which is a Windows 8 touch laptop AND an Android tablet. . . . and finally, something called Bluestacks will let you run Android apps on a PC or Mac
Looks like the trio isn't available yet, but my friend used VMware to load Mac OSX on his Win7 laptop a few years ago. Onboard GPS is becoming ubiquitous. With Win8 tablet one will have opensource available for PCs and Linux as well as load iOS7, if you have the storage... but surface looks heavy and expensive.

I'll be looking at tablets with 1.3ghz+, keyboard, and ample ports for external storage and peripherals < $400...
Old 22-11-2013, 09:44   #58

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
My big dilemma is which Android tablet to get my wife. Love my Nexus 7, but she really needs a 10'. I need cell connections. I considered the new Kindle, but it does not have access to the play store, which seems like a deal breaker. No compelling Nexus 10 yet. Seems like the market leader is Galaxy, but have not talked to anyone that uses one.

She uses it like 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, so for sure she wants something light, reliable, and highly usable. Perhaps I just need to wait until the next gen Nexus 10 comes out.
If I were to buy a 10" tablet at the moment the Sony Xperia Tablet Z would be at the top of my list. It is slim, light and waterproof, but not especially cheap.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 09:51   #59

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

I have the samsung galaxy 10in I love this tablet and would definitely recommend it
Old 22-11-2013, 10:16   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsb View Post
If I were to buy a 10" tablet at the moment the Sony Xperia Tablet Z would be at the top of my list. It is slim, light and waterproof, but not especially cheap.
For Semi cheap, think I'd go ASUS T100. . .