Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 07:24   #16
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: When to pull the trigger on an electronics update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
Howdy Folks,

We've been in the middle of updating out boat for a targeted departure date of April 2017. Still have tons to do and will likely be adding as we go but would like to have a solid baseline before departure (not looking for perfection).

Anyway, we've been holding off on upgrading our electronics until the last possible second to get the most recent options. We're techies and know that whatever we buy will be out of date 6 months later but would like to get the newest we can before departure. Don't want to debate who makes the best gear or anything along those lines here. For the purposes of this discussion let's assume it will be B&G with new wind, depth and speed sensors. 4G radar (these are already purchased).

We've been holding off on the instrumentation which will consist of a couple tritons and at least one MFD. We like the current Zeus 2 option but being that it's already 2 years old, would like to hold off for the next gen (Zeus 3?). I have it on completely unconfirmed authority, from a conversation we had in Annapolis that this is likely to happen this winter. I would assume that would be during the Miami show, which tends to be when all the electronics announcements come out. I believe that show is in Feb, which could be tight but would still likely meet our April target for departure.

For those of you who've been watching this kind of stuff over the years, does that sound like a reasonable assumption? Is Feb when you'd expect to see the latest and greatest announcements from the various marine electronics companies?

I'd like to get all the sensors replaced this winter when we haul out for a bottom job and just hold off for what I hope will be an MFD update, but am not sure how reliable my info is.
You have a good plan, and I agree to install the latest tech, before a first major cruise. Remember to allow plenty of shakedown mini-cruises to become intimately familiar with the electronics before the big cruise. The last thing you want is to scrambling through a manual in a maelstrom to figure out how to set the new electronic wizardry up.

Beware that a lot of vapourware is launched at shows. Typically, the PM targets to have the product in production with ample inventory right before the show. Rarely happens. In every company I've worked, despite all of the measures I've taken to prevent, Design Engineering comes up with some "show stopper" issue, 2 weeks before the release to production deadline. Sometimes, the product is just becoming available by the next show.

If you are on the hard for the winter, I would install the thruhull sensors for the most recent technology "available" (from the local retailer), just before launch.

In reality, most marine electronics manufacturers do not make their own underwater sensors, and usually next gen electronics use the same sensors, unless the sensor manufacturer has come out with new technology for the electronics manufacturer to incorporate.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:57   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

I would buy the electronics at least one year ahead. This is time ample enough to sort out all bugs and learn the interfaces. Even with pretty complex integrated systems.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:27   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You will be amazed at how little you actually NEED this stuff, and how long it takes to actually really be able to use or understand most of the features.
I would want the best sensors, and after that KISS.

Only reason to wait in my opinion is there will likely be a price reduction in a Zeuss 2 after the newest is released.
We had a saying in the Military, "Never fly the "A" model of anything".
I want second tier electronics, not only are they usually much less in price, but usually the bugs are worked out, or at least understood, yet they are still fully supported.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:58   #19

I agree with A64's point on this exactly. Though if you are a "techie," you will simply not be a happy or fulfilled person unless you know you have the very latest up to date gizmos.
I prefer to be one (at least) generation back. And I do this with my phones, computers, cars, whatever. The tech is proven and debugged. The price is way less. All the tech service people are up to speed on it. And parts/software availability is good. Then I keep it as long as it works for me. When it breaks or becomes too obsolete, I go shopping for the newest one generation back gear.
The latest greatest state of the art gear you are waiting for will only claim that distinction for a year. Max. Maybe six months. Then it's just old used gear.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics