Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2015, 08:02   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: What is a 2-pin round DC power connector useful for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Actually the 2 pin socket is far superior to any cigarette plug/socket I have ever seen in my experience.

They just aren't compatible with many items unless you buy extra plugs and you replace the clips or cigarette type plug on the add on equipment.

I have owned several boats with them installed and liked them so much I have bought more. Every cigarette plug/socket has been removed and been replaced with something superior.
+1. I bought a quantity of them, and routinely cut those stupid 1950's automobile cigar lighter connectors off everything. These things are great. You can jam two wires into them in a hurry and get power right now. Try that with the female cigar lighter receptacle. Which also trap moisture, dirt, grit, rust, etc. Nothing with THAT many moving parts is good for offshore use, anyhow. They were never designed to be connectors. Some gee-whiz inventors idea to make use of a cigar lighter in a previous century. For those times when I might have to use something before I change the connectors, I made up one quality adapter, Cigar lighter to two pin.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:05   #17

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Actually the 2 pin socket is far superior to any cigarette plug/socket I have ever seen in my experience.

They just aren't compatible with many items unless you buy extra plugs and you replace the clips or cigarette type plug on the add on equipment.

I have owned several boats with them installed and liked them so much I have bought more. Every cigarette plug/socket has been removed and been replaced with something superior.
Agree completely. The different pin sizes guarantee correct polarity, and are far more robust than cheaper cigarette plugs.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:13   #18
One of Those

I've never seen a cigar lighter type connector that I would trust enough to install through the side of my cabin with a covered socket on the outside. The two pin connectors with the screw down covers are properly designed through hull electrical feed throughs. My searchlight plugs in all over the boat, for example. Inside and out. The two pin connectors use smaller holes in the boat, too.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:16   #19
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
I have one of these 2-prong DC connectors in my cockpit. Is there any way I can get an adapter to plug useful stuff into it (like modern tablets) or is this type of power connection very much obsolete?

Presumably it was once used for some kind of GPS device.

It looks exactly like this:
Plug & Socket 2 Pin 2/3 Amp - Boat Electricals

Except I don't have the cap with the male prongs, just have the female pronged socket.

Wikipedia has some male-to-male adapter images in the first picture on this page:
DC connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently they're also called coaxial power connectors (but when I google for that I get a lot of incompatible coaxial cables like those used for TV video and such).

On Amazon I found a male USB to female coaxial DC power connector:
Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB2TYPEM 3 Feet USB to Type M Barrel 5V DC Power Cable: Electronics

Maybe that would work? But I would still need a 2-pin male to coaxial male.
You also sound like you need a 12 volt to 5 volt converter. Do you have a dc to ac inverter on the boat? The new ones all seem to have USB outlets on them, too.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:34   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
You also sound like you need a 12 volt to 5 volt converter. Do you have a dc to ac inverter on the boat? The new ones all seem to have USB outlets on them, too.
I purchased a bunch of usb outlets that replaced the cigar lighter sockets and it was an unmitigated disaster! Narva brand they are and they glow bright blue - too bright - and failed to charge my tablet. I'm replacing them with 2.1A rated adaptors that fit a standard cigar socket that I purchased on Ebay for about $1 each.

For mounting on a rail, there are water resistant cigar and USB outlets on Ebay for a few bucks. They're designed for motorbike handlebar mounting. I'm mounting another tablet to my helm to work as a chart plotter via GoFree so I was thinking of using one of these for the purpose.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:29   #21

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Good points, probably should just replace it. But I don't actually have a need for aux power in the cockpit currently, so I was mostly thinking about it as a low priority, low-effort (ie, not another project to add to the list) if I wanted to charge a tablet that I'm using for backup nav.

And I was curious what these kinds of 2-prong power outlets were ever used for. (did a cf search but didn't find much). And whether they were ever general purpose outlets or were always a very custom, device-specific power source. Sounds like it's an old obsolete standard that was never general purpose.
THey are simply old, not used now, 12v power outlets.
I have them on my fly bridge to power the lights on the mast, as well as the winch for the boom.

Suggest you do as others have suggested, replace with an outdoor cig lighter receptacle. That way, you will have options should you want to charge or pwoer something
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:42   #22

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

LOL...I have those all over my old Pearson 30!

I agree with the other posters...take them out. I replaced some with covered 12v cigarette lighter style power outlets. The one in the cockpit is the most useful.... good for spotlight, anchor light, phone charger, etc.

I also cut the end off my autohelm 1000 and attached a cigarette lighter style plug on the end. It works much better than the original plug, and the outlet is far more useful, as stated above.

Its your boat, do what you think is best. By switching to LED lights below, and removing many of these outlets, I was able to remove about half the wiring on my boat...less wires, less mess, less trouble.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:40   #23
One of Those

simply amazing.
Old 11-04-2015, 13:36   #24

Boat: Lagoon 410

You can buy these connectors at marine stores such as West Marine.

Quote:
I have one of these 2-prong DC connectors in my cockpit. Is there any way I can get an adapter to plug useful stuff into it (like modern tablets) or is this type of power connection very much obsolete?

Presumably it was once used for some kind of GPS device.

It looks exactly like this:
Plug & Socket 2 Pin 2/3 Amp - Boat Electricals

Except I don't have the cap with the male prongs, just have the female pronged socket.

Wikipedia has some male-to-male adapter images in the first picture on this page:
DC connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apparently they're also called coaxial power connectors (but when I google for that I get a lot of incompatible coaxial cables like those used for TV video and such).

On Amazon I found a male USB to female coaxial DC power connector:
Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB2TYPEM 3 Feet USB to Type M Barrel 5V DC Power Cable: Electronics

Maybe that would work? But I would still need a 2-pin male to coaxial male.
lagoon410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 13:48   #25

i'd go for one of those great twist-lock connectors that Scotty has switched to
dalewils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 14:05   #26

Boat: Lagoon 410

They sell these at marine stores such as West Marine. They also make a four pin plug. I use two pins to power a cockpit GPS and the other two for data to my nav desk laptop.
lagoon410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 15:18   #27

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I'm a little amazed at the suggestions to cut them out and replace them with cig sockets. The two prong are a standard marine fitting that have proved themselves for many functions. They are reliable and proved a solid connection that can't fall out or be knocked out when in use. Used in mine for spot light, extra portable GPS charging, auto helm, portable deck wash.

Usb chargers come with their own voltage regulator. If you want one in the cockpit for whatever reason then add a cig lighter to a male two prong fitting that you can plug a usb into, or purchase a proper usb plug for your cockpit. Personally I thing you will be asking for future problems with salt water corroding the internals.

But the two prong marine sockets are not 'old' or 'past' technology. Certainly not superceeded by something as unreliable as a cig lighter socket.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 15:44   #28

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Those promoting replacement must not have used them. There's plenty still functioning on 30yo+ boats. Mayb not so many original cigar lighters. They are very reliable (but do check the wiring!). They don't suffer anywhere near the corrosion effected dodgy contact surfaces of cigar sockets (which let water in when in use) and are easy to protect with anti corrosion lubricant without it being a big mess.

The real disadvantage is that they obviously don't accept cigar lighter plugs. Not a big deal when used for a specific application e.g. power GPS at helm. I'd say if you've got them on your boat then use them. No need to replace unless you need to for a specific reason.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 16:26   #29

I would never put a cig lighter socket in my cockpit or any place else that will be exposed to salt water. The 2 prong with the screw on weather tight cap is far better but there is a caveat:There is no industry standard for the plugs so they mostly don’t interchange.This means you need to find the brand and stick to it. If anything says Sea Dog on the label just walk on by and get something else.

The other down side to these plugs is very little space for makeup wire and the glands are never big enough for sheathed wire.They don’t carry serious amps either.

Um saudade
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 17:55   #30

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm a little amazed at the suggestions to cut them out and replace them with cig sockets. .............
As I tried to explain above, the cigarette lighter sockets are a standard even though they are not great 12 volt sockets. Go to a store and buy a 12 volt portable fan, heater, GPS, etc. and that's the plug that it comes with.

If you are able and willing to replace the plugs on your accessories, the one he has is certainly better for reliability. If not, the suggestions are legitimate.