Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2014, 13:28   #1

Boat: Yankee 30'
what can B@G Zeus T7 do?

I am replacing electronics on friends Bristol 39. The plotter and autopilot control pad screens by Navman that I installed ten years ago failed. I want to recommend Zeus T7 for the chart plotter. Plan to add NMEA2000 wind sensor and replace the autopilot computer with Simrad autopilot pack (existing Navman AP brain still works but as mentioned above, there is no display on the contrrol pad). From the info online I suppose the Pilot controller (B&G or Simrad), the Zeus T7 and a Simrad pilot computer pack may work with the existing hydraulic actuator to make up an autopilot. Will the masthead wind sensor similarly work with the Zeus t7 to give me apparent wind info? I'd prefer to postpone adding the Triton display for cost reasons for now. Any recommendations for AIS transponder to go with the set up? Thank you for your advice. Stan
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 04:27   #2

Boat: Irwin 38 CC MKII
Re: what can B@G Zeus T7 do?

I just installed a T8 on my Irwin 38. Along with a NMEA2000 backbone with a B&G wind,speed and depth package with the AC12 autopilot computer, compass, and rudder feed back sensor.
I used my Autohelm type 1 linear drive that was ready in service.
At the time B&G offered a $400 rebate if you bought the wind/depth package with at T-41 and a T7,8 or 12 at the same time. You might want to see if it's still going on.
The T8 has all the pilot controls you need built in. I didn't buy the keypad thingy.
I did have to add a relay to operate the clutch for the linear drive, it may not be needed with you hydraulic set up.
The wind info will display in the Zeus as will most any thing on the network.
If you buy all B&G part numbers they will have micro C connections as apposed to Simrad will have Simmet plugs you will have to adapt.
I bought mine through BOE marine and got a good price as well as someone that knew enough to help. They have free tech support for life..)
I put the T8 with the GoFree wifi at the helm and a T-41 at the nav below. I can get all my data below, but the charts. I use the iPad on the wifi if I want to see charts below.
I have just finished the install and don't have any time with it away from the dock yet, but I like it so far.
j24jaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 06:42   #3

Boat: Yankee 30'

Thanks Jaded, I appreciate your very informative reply. Anyone else out there cares to add anything? Stan
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 17:22   #4

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

Quote:
Originally Posted by j24jaded View Post
I did have to add a relay to operate the clutch for the linear drive, it may not be needed with you hydraulic set up.
Are you sure the relay is needed? Of all the people saying that they used an AC12 with a type 1, you are the first one talking about a relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j24jaded View Post
If you buy all B&G part numbers they will have micro C connections as apposed to Simrad will have Simmet plugs you will have to adapt...
Simrad now has part number with micro-c connectors. Pack 000-11036-001 is AC12, RC42 and RF300 with micro-c N2K starter kit. Simrad pack are less expensive than separate B&G branded parts. By the way, AC12 from Simrad and B&G have the exact same firmware (confirmed to me by a Navico tech rep).
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 18:24   #5

Boat: Irwin 38 CC MKII

Yes I tried to commission the autopilot and I kept getting a clutch overload failure, so I called B&G tech and they told me to add a relay. They sent me a wiring drawing, I got a relay from tha auto parts store and it worked like a champ.
j24jaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 19:03   #6

Good to know. Thanks
Old 20-02-2014, 09:43   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Not sure if the deal is still going on, but B&G was offering a free Triton display with the purchase of a chartplotter. It may have been the Miami Show special.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 10:59   #8

Still going on. See in here: http://www.defender.com/pdf/BandG_Spring_Upgrade14.pdf

No lien with defender, just that the PDF is available on their site.
Old 20-02-2014, 14:37   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailor View Post
Still going on. See in here: http://www.defender.com/pdf/BandG_Spring_Upgrade14.pdf

No lien with defender, just that the PDF is available on their site.
But with that program, the free Triton is only with the Triton wind package, not with chart plotters.

But the rebates on chart plotters are fantastic -- the 7" Zeus comes out to $850! They can't possibly produce them for that -- incredible deal.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26   #10

On what a Zeus Touch can do.

I was fouling around with my T8 on a bench setup in my basement (still frozen winter here). Zeus T8, one Triton T41 and my new pilot (AC12N, RC42N, RF300) on a small N2K bus, and the Zeus connected to my home WIFI router.

I was playing with GoFree on a 10" Samsung Tab2, then I had the idea to try accessing the Zeus with a Web browser, and this is what happened.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:32   #11

Boat: Hanse 385

I'm getting a boat with B@G so will report back, but I also paid for the GoFree as I was told it was needed to get wifi working. I hope that's the case and not that any old wifi router would have done the job. The GoFree is 10x the price of a normal wifi router and I can't see what other benefits it provides?
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:39   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Anyone comment on this

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...icas-Units.pdf

What they say is units designated AMER, will actually operate on reduced functionality once a certain degree east.

That's crazy

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2014, 04:46   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
I'm getting a boat with B@G so will report back, but I also paid for the GoFree as I was told it was needed to get wifi working. I hope that's the case and not that any old wifi router would have done the job. The GoFree is 10x the price of a normal wifi router and I can't see what other benefits it provides?
Any old wifi router can be made to work, but I sprung for the Simrad Go Free module anyway.

Why? First of all, it has two Ethernet ports with the proprietary waterproof Simrad connectors, plus a proprietary waterproof Simrad Ethernet cable. So it means that you can connect it up in three seconds without having to buy and chop up a Simrad cable, crimp on RJ45's, etc.

Second, it's already set up with the proper settings.

Third, it's marinized and waterproof and with a proper bracket for mounting.

I found all that to make it well worth the $200 versus $50 or whatever for a normal router.

You could chop up your radar cable, I guess, crimp on RJ45's, plug the radar cable and loose end into two free ports on the router, and it would probably work. But none of those connections is waterproof, and any problem will kill your radar data.

Alternatively, if you have a free Simrad Ethernet port (maybe you have the separate Simrad Ethernet hub), you could buy a Simrad cable, chop one end off it, crimp on an RJ45, and connect the router into the hub.

But the Simrad cables are not cheap (!), and you still have to set up everything, and you still don't have the water proof connection.

And a regular router is going to be vulnerable to condensation in the marine environment.

I think the Go Free module at only $200 is well worth it, myself.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:50   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Anyone comment on this

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...icas-Units.pdf

What they say is units designated AMER, will actually operate on reduced functionality once a certain degree east.

That's crazy

Dave

That's not crazy, it's funny

"Reduced functionality" means English only Would not be a problem for me, as my English is reasonably good And no metric units.

This is apparently only Lowrance HDS chartplotters.

My entire electronics system was bought in the U.S., and I have no such problems. 2x Zeus chartplotters -- U.S. versions -- work perfectly in Europe.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:25   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's not crazy, it's funny

"Reduced functionality" means English only Would not be a problem for me, as my English is reasonably good And no metric units.

This is apparently only Lowrance HDS chartplotters.

My entire electronics system was bought in the U.S., and I have no such problems. 2x Zeus chartplotters -- U.S. versions -- work perfectly in Europe.

Good to know

Dave