Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2011, 14:06   #1

VesselView On Twin-Cummins Grand Banks

I've got a 2009 Grand Banks with twin Cummins engines. Many current model Grand Banks are similarly powered, so this is likely applicable to them as well. My boat is equipped with Merc/Cummins VesselView engine monitor displays, two at each helm for a total of 4 displays. What's odd is that the engines and displays are set up as completely independent, single engine configurations. The port display shows the port engine and the starboard shows the starboard. This may seem to make sense, but significantly under utilizes the displays since they are capable of displaying data for two engines simultaneously. It also means that I need to change two displays (one for each engine) anytime I want to check different data (say to check gear oil temp and pressure).

The VesselView displays and SmartCraft wiring system is designed to have the two engine harnesses cross connected, thereby allowing any display to show data for both engines simultaneously. They also will show total fuel consumption, and total tankage (assuming you have that hooked up). With two displays, one can show one set of data, and the other can show another set of data, thereby doubling the amount of data observable at a glance.

If your boat is set up like this, read on to see how to fix it - it's really very easy once you know how. If your boat isn't set up like this, well, you will probably find other posts more interesting.

I don't understand why Grand Banks sets these up the way they do, but they do. Last winter I started looking into what it would take to reconfigure the SmartCraft wiring, and the gang on BoatDiesel.com helped confirm what was needed. This past week I finally completed the project and now have twice the data for twice the viewing pleasure.

Based on my boat's wiring diagrams all that appeared to be missing was a jumper cable connecting the port and starboard wiring harnesses. There are so-called J-boxes which are simply junction boxes at each helm, and the jumper cable links the two J-boxes at the helm furthest from the engines. I ordered the jumper cable (PN 3971973) a couple of weeks ago. There also are terminators on each of the J-boxes. In a single engine configuration CAN 1,2, and 3 are all terminated ( a single terminator does all three) at the last J-box. In a twin engine setup the jumper connects CAN 1 and 3 between the two engine harnesses. When they are connected, the bus ends are back at the opposite engine so those terminators take care of things. In their place the CAN 1,2,3 terminators get replaced with CAN 2 terminators.

Oddly, my boat already had the CAN 2 terminators, not the CAN 1,2,3 terminators. I have to believe it was a factory configuration mistake since there appeared to be no CAN 1,3 termination at the bus end opposite the engines. The bottom line is I didn't need to swap the terminators.

After installing the jumper cable, I configured one of the vesselview displays for twin engines and all the display data spazed out. There was no Port engine data, and the starboard data was bouncing all over the place. Conclusion: Both engines were reporting themselves as starboard. The boat's wiring diagram clearly shows different ID Plugs on each engine, but a quick check in the engine room confirmed they were not. Both had the same "Master" ID plug.

Another order with Cummins and the next day I had a "Slave" ID plug. This morning I swapped the port engine ID plug, re-installed the CAN 1,3 jumper, reconfigured one of the vesselview displays, and presto, it worked.

Now each helm has two displays, each displaying data for both engines at the same time, so I have twice the info available at a glance. Plus, fuel consumption is now totaled by the display so I no longer need to be doubling all the figures off one display.

It's beyond me why the boat was configured the way it was from the factory, since this seems so much more useful and makes much better use of the equipment, at least in my opinion.

If anyone else goes down this path, there is an option kit, PN EA9080-02, which includes the CAN 1,3 jumper, two CAN 2 terminators, and the Slave ID Plug. Had I known I needed more than the jumper cable, I would have ordered this kit.

Hopefully this will allow others to get full use of their engine monitoring displays.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:03   #2

Re: VesselView On Twin-Cummins Grand Banks

Thanks for the post info, it was very helpful. I have twin 380 qsb's with the same problem. I read somewhere and cant find the article... do you recall a cummins bulliten on this matter?

joe
Jac9123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:14   #3

There's no bulletin that I'm aware of, mostly because there is no error or fault to correct from cummins perspective. Both configurations are legitimate and correct configs, although I think one is MUCH more useful that the other. The brain-deadness in think is on the boat manufacture's part as they decide which configuration to use.

Cummins publishes configuration rules that show how to put together a smart craft system.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:27   #4

The fault i receive is "132 throttle sensor low" I was told by a cummins tech that is due to the jumper you referenced above 3971973 is missing. If the stbd engine is not turned off a last it doest allow the port to send back termination signal to the ECM, thus giving this fault. I guess the jumper fixes this situation.
Not sure if this is totally correct, but if the jumper is missing... maybe this is the problem. The port engine will not start after this fault unless I power down the ECM.

joe
Old 02-02-2012, 09:50   #5

Oh, that's very interesting. I didn't mention such an error did I? But what's interesting is that I got that same error last year. It's only happened once, but it did happen. What I don't know is whether it was before or after I made the cabling change.

Actually, I just took a look at a post I made on Boatdiesel.com regarding this error, and it was before I made the cable change, so maybe I fixed that problem without knowing it. That would be nice.
Old 02-02-2012, 13:41   #6

What I found more interesting is the "forums" are the only way to get information as the manufacturers are not as forthcoming for fear of liabilities or the loss of $120 per hr service call. I just joined this one and found it a fantastic wealth of information.
Old 02-02-2012, 16:24   #7

Yes, cruisers forum is really good. Lots on info and lots of traffic. Many sites lack critical mass, but not this one.

For diesel engine related topics, check out boatdiesel.com It's top notch too.

Tags
grand banks