Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2022, 06:54   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 smartAIS Transponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
This is one of the things that the Vesper employee who used to frequent these forums promised back when they were actively developing and maintaining the XB-8000. There was a whole list of data types they were working on adding, including engine data.

Then they started development on their Cortex line. Something changed at Vesper. Forum support disappeared, and XB-8000 development ground to a halt. The final nail in the XB-8000 coffin was when they sold out to Garmin. Just as with DeLorme before them, a fantastic product line was essentially abandoned. I don't know if Vesper experienced the same massive layoffs and shutdowns as DeLorme did, but it's obvious things are now done "The Garmin Way."
Garmin bought the Cortex product and took out the competing products for their own black box ais transponder.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 11:08   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The Yacht Devices gateway supports more data than the Vesper 8000. For example, the Vesper does not support rudder angle for Autopilot so on my iPad, the rudder always looks to be in the center position. After switching to the YD gateway, I actually see the rudder moving. This is just an example, there’s more data missing from the Vesper.

YD also sells an Ethernet gateway. When you have a wifi router aboard with available LAN port, then this works even better.

I own all the equipment discussed here and use the Vesper with the YD Ethernet gateway, with the YD wifi gateway as a backup. The Ethernet gateway was brought to market later so I already had the wifi gateway.

If I would buy an AIS transponder today, it would be a SOTDMA 5W unit without any extras like wifi, antenna switch etc., just the basic box. A good example for $649: [url]https://www.milltechmarine.com/b600[/url]

For simple, 2nd antenna that you mount on a rail, arch, mizzen mast etc. I would use this: https://www.milltechmarine.com/gam-s...s-antenna.html

And for mounting on top of a spreader or a mast (check needed mounts) there is this broad band monster: https://www.milltechmarine.com/shake...f-antenna.html
(I have the $40 double ferrule option with that for mounting on standard marine threaded mounts.)

For simple whip I actually have a Vesper antenna but I don’t see it anymore, so I linked in the GAM which I suspect is the same.
That AMEC B600 Class B SOTDMA Transponder looks like it will work for my situation, and it has a USB jack and cable plus NMEA 0183 jack and cable it appears that I can hook directly to my laptop

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 12:06   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
That AMEC B600 Class B SOTDMA Transponder looks like it will work for my situation, and it has a USB jack and cable plus NMEA 0183 jack and cable it appears that I can hook directly to my laptop

Even if you don’t have nmea2000 yet, I recommend to buy a starter kit and the wifi gateway. If you have nmea0183 then buy a gateway with that too.

Then, on the laptop, use a wifi link to receive the data.

Here is a starter kit that allows you to connect the AIS transponder, plus the gateway and it also includes the power supply: https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-.../dp/B074KHXXMF

If you have nmea0183 data, then instead of the simple wifi gateway, use this one: https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_router.html

Old 14-12-2022, 12:44   #19

Quote:
Even if you don’t have nmea2000 yet, I recommend to buy a starter kit and the wifi gateway. If you have nmea0183 then buy a gateway with that too.

Then, on the laptop, use a wifi link to receive the data.

Here is a starter kit that allows you to connect the AIS transponder, plus the gateway and it also includes the power supply: https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-Marine-.../dp/B074KHXXMF

If you have nmea0183 data, then instead of the simple wifi gateway, use this one: https://www.yachtd.com/products/wifi_router.html
I might do that with the NMEA 2000 just to learn about it.

My old Toshiba Satellite Laptop can link up to WiFi easily and does to my phone as a hotspot or here at home to the router.

Victron MPPT data is coming in with cable though

I use my old Vista Tower that I upgraded here at home though. It has a new 650 Corsair Power Supply, ASRock Motherboard, SSD, two RAM Sticks or 16GB, etc, etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213 (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	268732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207 (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	268733  

Name:	IMG_1035 (2).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	268734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921 (2).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	268735  

Name:	IMG_0876 (2).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	268736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918 (2).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	268738  

Name:	IMG_0917 (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	268739  
Old 14-12-2022, 13:20   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nmea over wifi works great and not just for the laptop: a smartphone is a very powerful tool with the right app and nmea data over wifi.

Old 14-12-2022, 13:57   #21

Quote:
Nmea over wifi works great and not just for the laptop: a smartphone is a very powerful tool with the right app and nmea data over wifi.
Yeah I'll definitely investigate both.

I have to requalify as a computer/mobile phone tech soon so these projects help me get into the right frame of mind.

I don't get to use those skills much but Corporate doesn't want tech managers that cannot be qualified techs even though some of us were electronics techs before half the workforce was born

But of course these kids born in the mid 90's are totally comfortable with computers, networks, and cyber security....
Old 15-12-2022, 19:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcrescenzo View Post
I use the WatchMate Vision and connect to IPad INavX app by WiFi. AIS is also connected to RayMarine Axiom 9 and Axiom 7 with Seatalk network. Works very well.
I had a similar setup, though it was with Furuno gear and running the XB-8000 to the iPad over my ship's network.
iNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 06:44   #23

I purchased one 2 years ago and used it perfectly up until the Wifi chip died. At that time Vespar was purchased by Garmin and support is now useless. I still use it for the AIS trans/rec, but have moved to a PredictWind DataHub for transmitting NEMA2000 data to other devices over wifi.
captNordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 07:18   #24

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Is anyone here using one of these Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 smartAIS Transponder.

If so, do you use the WiFi exclusively with phone or laptop or hook to MFD etc?
I have my XB-8000 connected to my MFD via NEMA 2000. I also connect to XB8000 via Wi-Fi with my iPad.
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 07:22   #25

I have the Vesper XB-8000 hardwired into my chartplotter and use wifi to provide AIS targets on my tablet (via Navionics and the Vesper app).

The key feature I don't think I've seen elsewhere is the anchor watch. If you leave the AIS switched on over night (without any other instruments) it provides a highly reliable anchor alarm, via an external buzzer and/or your phone. The part I most like is that the unit itself stores a breadcrumb trail of your position while at anchor which doesn't require your phone to remain connected to the unit to retain history. Current draw is pretty low, with the obvious benefit that leaving the AIS transmitting ought to help prevent other boats running into you.

As someone else pointed out development ceased a few years ago and there are a couple of annoying bugs in the android app which I suspect now will never be fixed - but nothing that can't circumvented once aware.
nburrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 07:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nburrell View Post
I have the Vesper XB-8000 hardwired into my chartplotter and use wifi to provide AIS targets on my tablet (via Navionics and the Vesper app).

The key feature I don't think I've seen elsewhere is the anchor watch. If you leave the AIS switched on over night (without any other instruments) it provides a highly reliable anchor alarm, via an external buzzer and/or your phone. The part I most like is that the unit itself stores a breadcrumb trail of your position while at anchor which doesn't require your phone to remain connected to the unit to retain history.
I agree that the Anchor Alarm feature is what I miss the most now that the WiFi chip is non-functional. I have to rely now on iPhone apps that aren't as reliable and none of the other units Milltech Marine sells has the anchor alarm feature (according to their sales people).
captNordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 08:08   #27

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

We're VERY happy w/ our 8000 and it's integrated w/ quite a number of devices.
1. the wifi is for tablets/phones, quite useful.
2. It's connected to our Axiom, again quite useful.
3. We wired it up to our Stndr Hor VHF via NMEA0183 protocol
Old 19-12-2022, 10:07   #28

I have been using one for 6 years now and love it. I use WiFi, nmea0183 and the n2k outputs for various devices. With isailor it turns any ancient iPad or laptop without a gps into a very powerful full featured mfd. Unfortunately, on start up 3 weeks ago in Puerto Vallarta I discovered that the WiFi transmit and the AIS transmit had failed. So now it is an AIS receive only set but still providing that info plus position info over my wired networks. Even though way out of warranty, bought by previous owner of boat 8 years ago, Garmin has shipped me a new replacement unit for $330. I have someone carrying it down to Huatulco in a couple days. I am more than pleased.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 00:59   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Connec the XB-8000 to your WiFiRouter and connect ever device you want. RTFM it is not easy as the unit does not have a webserver. All config should be done with the appropriate app on windows/mac?? One can use usb for this if network connection is not configured.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2022, 01:58   #30

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

[QUOTE=nburrell; The key feature I don't think I've seen elsewhere is the anchor watch. If you leave the AIS switched on over night (without any other instruments) it provides a highly reliable anchor alarm, via an external buzzer and/or your phone. The part I most like is that the unit itself stores a breadcrumb trail of your position while at anchor which doesn't require your phone to remain connected to the unit to retain history. Current draw is pretty low, with the obvious benefit that leaving the AIS transmitting ought to help prevent other boats running into you.[/QUOTE]

It's tragic that this amazing feature might soon be lost. I just casually checked the Cortex brochure and was pleased to see that the "breadcrumb" anchor watch feature has been carried over to Cortex. But even if I could afford cortex, I don't like the 'mobile handset' concept. I prefer a fixed screen, like the current Vesper Vision 2 which is my favourite piece of equipment (for nav table, not helm). If my Vision 2 dies after 5 years, or whatever, I hope Vesper/Garmin have introduced a cortex monitor screen as an alternative to a handset by that time.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais