Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2018, 09:15   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Using Spot instead of Epirb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Had spot for some years. I bought it for use off the boat but also carry it onboard.
Advantages.

1, can leagally be used on land as well wher it has tha addition of call a breakdown service. I have used this twice and it worked! I live wher there is little cell coverage on the highways.
2. Enables messages describing the emergency. I.E. brocken leg, need medical assistance.
3 Enables you to report othe problems short of mayday such as delayed by weather and will not make ETA.
4 can send daily position toany group of email addresses.
5. You can change the batteries so has potentially far more transmission time.

While I agree its lower power is a disadvantage over an epirb iCost is about the same when you take into account replacing the unit or batteries in the plb. It is cheaper than an epirb.

Each has plus and minus and ideally I would have 2 units anyway but if going for only one I would go for spot as the most versatile. The gold standard for 'come and get me' at sea has to remain the epirb. There are times when neither spot or a plb will get through. I have seen it fail to send positions due to bad radio interference, so bad it blanked all radio signals.

InReach has the advantage of 2 way text so rescuers can give yoou a confirmation or ask for info which would be great. Disadvantage is that it it 2x cost size and weight.
Re InReach weight, really not an issue on a sailboat, see the new InReach Mini.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 09:18   #17

Boat: 1989 Morgan-44CP

We have had a spot for several years and it is great for allowing family and friends to track your voyages BUT I still carry two EPIRB's and a PLB for the wife and I.

Water survival training is great and Naval Aviation is the best in the world but just last week we lost a Marine that fell overboard off a carrier and was never found.

I was a Marine Corp aviator for 22 years and have flown most of the worlds oceans and a life raft is a damn small object to try to spot even from 500 feet.

just sayin'

jewt

S/V/ Bifrost

New Bern, NC
jewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 09:18   #18

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

No way. They are not air or waterproof enough. I had one die just from the salt air. We switched to an inreach and its much better but I would not depend just on that.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 13:26   #19

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Way better...full global coverage...see previous post:

Using Spot instead of Epirb - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Thanks for the reply, I saw your post after I posted the question. I now feel better about the more expensive InReach over Spot. I was getting one anyway for my mainland Harley trips on the backwoods roads with lots of Forest Rats (deer).
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 13:29   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

I have sailed over 25,000nm over the last few years with a Spot or inReach in the Mediterranean, Atlantic, Caribbean, Gulf and Pacific. Both have operated flawlessly and daily.

In my opinion, EPIRBs are OBSOLETE. Spots and inReach units are so cheap I am finding when crew join my ship that they have their own.

inReach, especially, allows a man overboard to send an SOS and submerged to the shoulders can converse with rescue forces. With an EPIRB you don't even know if it's transmitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Depends where you are planning to go for a start. Spot global coverage is "spotty".

Your link compare Spot to PLBs not EPIRBs and there is a big difference between the two as pointed out it the article. It certainly isn't a substitute for a proper EPIRB.

FWIW, I carry both an EPIRB and in InReach.
Old 22-08-2018, 13:33   #21
Marine Service Provider

WRONG. I have tested the inReach while swimming for fun. I was able to happily send and receive messages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
To me, there's too much overlap between the inReach and a PLB. However, the EPIRB has one advantage over either of those: it's designed to transmit whilst bobbing in the water.
Old 22-08-2018, 13:34   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post
Thanks for the reply, I saw your post after I posted the question. I now feel better about the more expensive InReach over Spot. I was getting one anyway for my mainland Harley trips on the backwoods roads with lots of Forest Rats (deer).
Ive owned both, and personally I think InReach is a bargain relative to the price of the significantly inferior Spot.

I think you will be pleased with your choice. The ability to communicate 2-way is a huge advantage.
Old 22-08-2018, 13:40   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ray View Post
I have sailed over 25,000nm over the last few years with a Spot or inReach in the Mediterranean, Atlantic, Caribbean, Gulf and Pacific. Both have operated flawlessly and daily.

In my opinion, EPIRBs are OBSOLETE. Spots and inReach units are so cheap I am finding when crew join my ship that they have their own.

inReach, especially, allows a man overboard to send an SOS and submerged to the shoulders can converse with rescue forces. With an EPIRB you don't even know if it's transmitting.

Sigh—— try getting the SPOT wet for a few days. Place it on the rail for a week and see how it holds up. That would simulate an emergency deployment. I think you will be disappointed.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 13:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Ray View Post
WRONG. I have tested the inReach while swimming for fun. I was able to happily send and receive messages.
I use mine kayaking and have a little floaty vest for it. If solo I clip it to my paddle vest, so if I get separated from my kayak I can notify someone.

Its gotten quite wet, rolled with me and kayak in big breaking surf, and was still happy...more so than I was! [emoji37]

Ive not tested its floating orientation...maybe a little weight on the bottom of the floaty would keep its antenna vertical.
Old 22-08-2018, 14:02   #25

Boat: CAL-2 30'

I only recently heard about Spot after I got my InReach. Three friends of mine are using spot as they ride Adventure bikes around the world through 82 countries. I went with the larger Explorer+ to give me another mobile GPS for cruising the Hawaiian Islands. No marine data but at least I can see where the Islands are.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 14:21   #26
Marine Service Provider

Sigh all you like. After more miles under the keel in three years than most people sail in their lives and multiple yachts I've tested these units daily and they have been flawless. You never know if an EPIRB is working until you're rescued. Personally I don't trust something I cannot test regularly.

I use the inReach for heavy duty and wet work. Frankly it has rendered the Spot obsolete.

BUT I have seen a Spot bare and in the elements for 2 years on a steel pole on a Coast Guard patrol boat and never a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Sigh—— try getting the SPOT wet for a few days. Place it on the rail for a week and see how it holds up. That would simulate an emergency deployment. I think you will be disappointed.
Old 22-08-2018, 15:49   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
InReach has the advantage of 2 way text so rescuers can give yoou a confirmation or ask for info which would be great. Disadvantage is that it it 2x cost size and weight.

Also has the advantages of

1. Global coverage.
2. More timely transmission*
3. Timely confirmation of transmission of geolocation, normal messages etc.

* none of this "let's squirt the message out three times over a 20 minute period and hope that at least one of the transmissions is received"
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 16:39   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Also has the advantages of

1. Global coverage.
2. More timely transmission*
3. Timely confirmation of transmission of geolocation, normal messages etc.

* none of this "let's squirt the message out three times over a 20 minute period and hope that at least one of the transmissions is received"
Positive confirmation is huge plus, with Spot you just dont know...the ping & pray protocol.
Old 22-08-2018, 16:45   #29

Boat: Beneteau First42

I have all 3.

Garmin Inreach for tracking for friends and family.

Epirb on boat due to legality here in Australia but essential on any offshore sailing yacht.

And a PLB that I have attached to my lifejacket on me whenever the weather picks up or every night on watch.

If only you could get data with the inreach....
nzldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 17:27   #30

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I have a PLB but mainly sail within 100 miles of shore.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb