Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2014, 05:08   #1

USB to Serial Converter- Win 7

I have been using a USB to Serial converter to interface between my Pactor IIex modem -SSB and my Windows XP laptop and it works great.
I recently purchased a windows 7 laptop and I can not get the Trendnet USB to Serial Converter to work. The software says it is for Win 7 and it installs ok but when I try to use it with the pactor modem I get a message that says the USB port is corrupt? I have tried downloading the latest driver and that doesn't seem to help. Any wisdom out there?
BrightAyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:25   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: USB to Serial Converter- Win 7

Jim Corenman and Sailmail highly recommend the Tripplite / Keyspan USB to Serial adapters....because they work...
Particularly the Keyspan USA-19HS

Also, be sure you have the correct/latest Airmail software (version 3.4.034a or later), as this will work with Win7 and Win8....

Further, remember that with 64-bit systems, you'll need the correct SCS drivers..
Quote:
For the PTC-IIusb and Win-7/x64 (64 bit version) there is the same issue as Vista/x64, the drivers from the SCS website are needed. Go to www.scs-ptc.com, select "software" and scroll down to PTC-IIusb drivers. Those are unsigned drivers so Airmail cannot pre-install them, they need to be done separately- follow the instructions on the SCS website.

Be sure to read, save, and/or print-out the Sailmail Primer....as it answers many questions on its own..
http://www.sailmail.com/smprimer.htm

I hope this helps...

Fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial