Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 10:22   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35
Re: Tracking Devices

Oh, and the Spot Trace has built in rechargeable battery that lasts for quite a while. Plus it can be plugged into a USB outlet or wired in directly to run forever.
Ps. I didn't realize this forum changed the web address to a direct link. For those who want to go to my website either click on the link in previous post, or go to SailQuest . Ca
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 00:42   #17

Boat: N/M 45

I've used the inReach SE and Yellow Brick units (YB3i is current one to use on the boat for a fixed installation) offshore North America west coast out to Hawaii, both are good trackers, both utilize the Iridium satellite constellation and therefore have worldwide coverage. Neither is a great way to obtain weather information - these are burst communication tracking devices with an SMS capability thrown in, and are not weather-oriented request/receive tools.

The YB is truly waterproof, you can mount it out in the weather and it will operate. The inReach SE is not as well sealed, definitely not something to leave out on the stern rail, it's more equivalent to the YB3 - a portable, handheld device that is kept somewhat protected - great for backpacking, not great for lashing to the stern rail.

inReach SE runs for several days (four in my experience) before requiring charging of the internal battery via a USB cable - during charging the unit is not watertight, charging must be done in a protected area of the boat. YB will run for weeks on its internal battery.

The YB doesn't do much externally, so you have no idea if it is working or not. inReach SE has a display and some lights so you can have a good idea if it working or not.

I know the inReach SE can be configured to respond to an external 'ping' request and reply with current position information. I do not know if the YB will do that (I would be surprised if YB could not do this, but saw no mention of this in the currently available online manual).

Operating costs depend upon how often you want to send out a position report; every 10 minutes? every 6 hours? Both providers publish their subscription costs, so it's up to you to determine which is more cost-effective for your intended usage.

I opted for inReach SE as the cost to purchase was less and the usage costs were less for my purposes. I keep the unit mounted below deck in an area that allows transmission through solid fiberglass to the Iridium satellites. I could not get the unit to transmit through a cored deck, so finding a location that worked took a bit of fiddling and experimentation.

As an aside, SPOT uses the Globalstar satellite constellation; if your intended usage area is within the Globalstar footprint, then you can consider the SPOT. I've never used one as Globalstar does not cover the areas I cruise in, so I can't comment on functionality.
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:16   #18

I'm using an inReach SE since several years every time I charter.

As you never know equipment on a charter yacht in combination with a handheld VHF this is the perfect gear for me to request help in nearly all circumstances.

In addition, family and friends can follow your track and you can connect to your smartphone via bluetooth to send and receive sms / email or post on facebook. The weather feature is also available on the InReach SE (not only Explorer) and can as well be accessed via smartphone app which is very comfortable.

We are cruising with 2 boats in a flotilla next time and just bought a second InReach device, so you can send messages and locations from one device to the other directly.

I also use a SPOT Trace unit as a tracker in my car.

The main difference between the InReach devices operating on iridium SAT network to the SPOT operating on Globalstar network is that Inreach can send and receive data while SPOT can only send. This means that when sending a location or a distress message InReach tries to send until it gets the notification of the network that the message has been send successfully. SPOT just sends at least tracking points only once and you don't get a confirmation if transmission was successful. Furthermore you are not able to receive text messages with a SPOT.

InReach and Yellowbrick (portable version) are very similar I think and main differences are in battery duration, pricing and detailed functionality. I never used yellowbrick as I think that it is too expensive to send tracking points often (I use 10 min. interval on the inReach).

On all boats I sailed on with the inReach (monos and cats) I always put it near the nav station to constantly charge it. Although laying inside it always had connectivity.

Best,
Philipp
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 13:30   #19

FYI
Just got an Email from Garmin
(new owner of Delorme)
New unit coming out in two months
InReach Plus. 449.50
Looks like a redesigned Inreach
with a Digital Compass, Barometric sensor,
Accelerometer
Long time user of Inreach, Great bit of kit
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 14:02   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I believe the YB is the tracker recommended (or required?) by the ARC. YB Tracking | Truly global satellite tracking beacons for yacht racing, adventures, treks, expeditions and challenges | Home

I've used the inReach and liked it. Simple to use, good battery power, and can be paired to your smart phone to make sending messages a great deal easier than trying to type on that little screen. Portable, but not waterproof, it's something you can carry on your boat, in your a/c, or backpack.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 15:29   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

I think events the past couple of years shows that the combination of a sat phone and handheld gps is the best. But I'm not going to argue or debate that it is the lowest cost
Old 05-01-2017, 15:59   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think events the past couple of years shows that the combination of a sat phone and handheld gps is the best. But I'm not going to argue or debate that it is the lowest cost
Tell that to Rebel Heart

I'll stick with my Inreach, thanks.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 16:19   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tracking Devices

I'm thinking the inreach is not a replacement for a sat phone, but an augment to one.
I used to carry a 9500 or 9550 with me when I ferried aircraft internationally, the calls are not as easy as a cell phone and are not inexpensive, When you have voice commo, it seems you always talk longer than you wanted. I figure the inreach would be for tracking and normal we are OK messages, any real communication would I assume be by phone.
I used to rent them from a Sat phone store in Atlanta, but surely by now they can be had for not all that much money, and I think you can buy small plans that the minutes stay for six months or so? Like a prepaid cell type of thing.
The inreach is like $300 for the Explorer I think and $60 a month for unlimited on a month to month basis, I figure right or wrong but when we are on long passages that $60 for that month will be easy to budget as we won't be spending much money on passage.
One time $300 is easy to swallow, for what I think you get.
So if you haven't paid for a month but it is plugged in and on, can you activate it and track it, or is there something you have to do to the device?
I ask if one day you discover the boat has gone missing, can you activate it and track it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 17:18   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Interesting that Garmin have bought out inReach.

It took me a while to find this, but I'd found it before when I was using the device. This should give you the rates.
https://explore.garmin.com/en-US/inreach/#subscriptions

As to how if you can activate it remotely, I'm sure there is a Contact number. I think if the unit is powered, you could do so remotely but give them a call & ask. I'd be interested to hear the answer.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 23:29   #25

If the InReach Unit is on Standby you can activate tracking remotely throug web interface. Tried it with InReach SE.
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 16:02   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Garmin buys companies, it seems to be the way they grow, for instance they got into aviation by buying out UPS that bought out Apollo.
The name Garmin is from two of the founders, one named Gary I think and the other Minn or something like that.
I want to think they worked for Bendix- King and left and formed Garmin after not being able to talk King into building an aviation GPS.
I do not like that Garmin bought them out, as much as I like Garmin stuff as it is so easy and intuitive to operate, they have a nasty habit of not supporting stuff after it gets a couple of years old.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 18:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Garmin buys companies, it seems to be the way they grow, for instance they got into aviation by buying out UPS that bought out Apollo.
The name Garmin is from two of the founders, one named Gary I think and the other Minn or something like that.
I want to think they worked for Bendix- King and left and formed Garmin after not being able to talk King into building an aviation GPS.
I do not like that Garmin bought them out, as much as I like Garmin stuff as it is so easy and intuitive to operate, they have a nasty habit of not supporting stuff after it gets a couple of years old.
I to was a bit dismayed to hear that
Garmin bought Delorme because
Delorme customer service was fantastic.
I hope Garmin doesn't mess with it
Not looking good because of 25% price increase
of the new " Plus" model
Don't overlook the fact that it also functions
as a back up GPS giving Lat & Long
as well as saving them at whatever tracking
interval you have set,
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 14:31   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Odyssey, 49

Hi all, just wanted to add to this thread the option of a new tracking program I've developed which allows live tracking from the Iridium GO! sat phone.

Like many cruisers I was already using the Iridium GO for weather, keeping in touch with family and some internet (and as an emergency phone of course). But was disappointed by the tracking function.

Details are in the commercial posts section, but basically it creates a map that won't expire and that can be set to automatically update in as regular as 5min intervals. I would welcome any suggestions or comments as I am still tweaking the programming.

Shannon
TRACKAmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:39   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i have a gen 1 spot device which required manual input for each position. if i miss 24 hours my momma or brother or good friend will call someone to save my cats.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote