I've copied below an SSCA posting
from a cruising couple that might be of interest to other cruising sailors. The message is clear and provides concise info on how U.S. citizens can comment (perhaps anyone can comment) to an FCC filing to allow Pactor
4 on the U.S. amateur bands. Following the instructions, a filing can be submitted in a couple of minutes.
Comments Solicited on Pactor
4 Proposal Before FCC
￼by Soggy Paws » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm
Received from the Winlink Development Group today--passing it on to interested parties who may no longer be using Winlink.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE: Time is running out for comments supporting RM-11708 to the FCC, which would remove the symbol rate limitation from FCC rules, and allow hams to use Pactor 4 modems in the USA. If the proposed rule
change fails this time, it will be years before we have another chance.
It is very easy to submit a comment. Please do. You don't have to say much other than you think it's a good idea, and that you support it.
Here are the steps to submit a comment.
1. Go to ECFS Home Page
2. Select "Submit a Filing (Express)" from the list in the upper left corner of the screen
3. In the topmost paragraph of the next screen
, click "click here to manually enter your docket number".
4. Enter RM-11708 as the "Proceeding Number". Enter your name, address, and type your comments in the bottom field.
5. Click "Continue", and then click the "Confirm" button on the summary page it will display.
6. If everything goes properly, it will give you a submission confirmation number.
Here are the relevant points:
1. The proposed change does not alter the bandwidth limits or the frequencies available for digital use, so no new frequency space is being used. It has no negative impact on the Ham spectrum.
2. The use of Pactor 4 simply makes the use of existing bandwidth more efficient, so additional traffic can be passed without allocating new frequencies.
3. The further development of even faster protocols in the same bandwidth limitations depends on the success of this rulemaking.
Sherry & Dave - s/v Soggy Paws - Circumnavigating
S/V Soggy Paws - CSY 44 - Circumnavigate with Dave and Sherry McCampbell
Location: Marshall Islands
til Jan 2014
Vessel Name: Soggy Paws
Vessel Make and Model: CSY