Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2011, 08:23   #1

Question SSB Whip Antenna Mounting?

I have a friend (no, really I do ) who's fitting SSB to his steel yacht (a Bruce Roberts 53 design). He has a Glomex RA700 7m whip antenna which he has mounted close to the mizzen shrouds. To ensure it is completely supported he has tied it to the shrouds at regular intervals and even tied the tip to the mizzen spreaders. The antenna thus lies completely alongside the shroud.

I have suggested that this close proximity to the (grounded) shroud may reduce the effective range of his SSB. I have suggested he moves the antenna to the stern away from the masts and standing rigging. He is concerned that the antenna may then be at risk if it is only supported only at it's base and at the top of his pushpit (about 1m up from the base). The instruction sheet says it should be supported 1.8m from the base but makes no other mention of additional supports.

What does the panel think? Is he making a grave error running the antenna so close to the shroud? And would the antenna be secure mounted at the stern with an additional support around 1m up from the base. I see this setup on many yachts. He's planning a 3-year voyage from the Med to Australia.

Thanks for the advice!
ubuysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 08:41   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: SSB Whip Antenna Mounting?

Welcome aboard Cruisers Forum and enjoy the site..

I mounted my whip on the mizzen spreader with a tennis ball slid over the antenna to where the antenna crosses the shroud and secure the tennis ball to the shroud so it acta like a stand off to keep the whip off the shroud..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 09:49   #3

Re: SSB Whip Antenna Mounting?

In general it is bad practice to have any conductors parallel to the antenna. But the proof of an installation is if it works on the required wavelengths. I'd guess his shroud will effectively become part of the antenna conductor rather like if it was bonded metal-to-metal. Probably resulting in great losses of effective radiated power.

If the designers say the mast needs to be supported at the 1.8m point then that's exactly what should be done. Angled aft off the transom with some supports is the usual mounting.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ssb