Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 09:54   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Sony Xperia Tablet Z

Anyone has this rather new android tablet and use it aboard with Navionics charts? Works ok? Happy with the screen brightness at outdoors?

This story at a finnish news site caught my eye, they pour water over it, sink it to shallow water, so it should be at least splash proof.

MTV3 teki uutuustabletille sen mistä varoitetaan - laite suoraan järveen - MTV3.fi - Uutiset - IT

Here is one english review:

Sony Xperia Tablet Z review | ITProPortal.com
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 17:34   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Sony Xperia Tablet Z

I played with it. I used NV charts.

I like it as a tablet but not as a nav dev. Choice of nav apps on Android seems much below what is available for iOS.

It is very glossy, with good brightness. Not spectacular in daylight, just about regular.

And it is expensive where we are.

A good toy but for nav I would go iPad way until Android matches nav apps availability.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 18:25   #3

Thanks barnakiel,

are the Apple applications for iPad really so much better than android apps for android tablets?
I have never seen either so can't say... :/
What I have I browsed for are only the Navionics charts for my android phone (not tablet) in the google store.
Erik
Old 27-07-2013, 06:57   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Thanks barnakiel,

are the Apple applications for iPad really so much better than android apps for android tablets?
I have never seen either so can't say... :/
What I have I browsed for are only the Navionics charts for my android phone (not tablet) in the google store.
Erik
Hi,

They are not worse - when they exist.

The point is many apps do not exist on Android: iNavX is one such eaxample. iAIS is another and there are many more. Also, I think there is no, and none planned, OpenCPN for Android.

Some Android apps are pure nonsense. I tried MapMedia and C-map (Jeppesen) and they both fall into this category. I sort of like NV, but it has bugs. Apps that let you use bsb charts are OK but these badly lack functionality, etc. If you want a list of what I have here / tested, PM me.

Some apps are OK, but just that. None matches MaxSea, Deckman, OpenCPN.

I have tested everything that has a demo app. Navionics is about the only company that does not offer a demo app, not even the tiniest one. How cool is this? Anyways, I used Navionics two years ago in the North and it was good already back then (off course, it was on an iPhone).

You will want a good protector sleeve for the tablet too (add USD 100 to the bill).

For nav, I might steer towards a W8 based tablet. Half the price and I can run MaxSea, Deckman, OpenCPN and nearly all other nav stuff.

Remember on Android you may be bound to interface via wifi. Then you must add a nmea to wifi bridge (cost), unless you already have one.

But as I said: Xperia is a very fine tablet per se. Just Android tablets are not the best sea nav platform.

I hope things will improve. I got our tablet only to play around with nav apps an the likes. The way I found things it is stay with Windows or look for a better platform.

Cheers,
b.
Old 27-07-2013, 07:01   #5

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...now-94064.html
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 07:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Yes.

There is no OpenCPN for Android and none planned.

I have read that thread end-to-end and it is only a road for a typical Linux user: plenty of mods / rooting / code work, etc. Good for a hobbyist, no use for an average guy.

Do things really have to be this hard?

It is a pity OpenCPN creators could only cater for one mobile platform and their choice went with the US dominant platform. C'est la vie.

b.
Old 27-07-2013, 08:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes.

There is no OpenCPN for Android and none planned.

I have read that thread end-to-end and it is only a road for a typical Linux user: plenty of mods / rooting / code work, etc. Good for a hobbyist, no use for an average guy.

Do things really have to be this hard?

It is a pity OpenCPN creators could only cater for one mobile platform and their choice went with the US dominant platform. C'est la vie.

b.
Following simple steps involving copy and paste and using android tools easily downloaded from Google play may be too much of a challenge for some. But for those who wish to enjoy using OpenCPN on their android device now, this offers that possibility.

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
Old 27-07-2013, 08:22   #8

Quote:
Following simple steps involving copy and paste and using android tools easily downloaded from Google play may be too much of a challenge for some. But for those who wish to enjoy using OpenCPN on their android device now, this offers that possibility.

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
Bad choice mate. I code ;-)

The tablet is supposed to be rooted or not? Rooting a tablet voids warranty or not?

If placing OpenCPN on an Android is a s simple as you are trying to imply, PLS open a therad and post simple 1-2-3 instruction.

If it is as simple as you want, why not write an app that will do the pre-OpenCPN adjustment all in one go? We could distribute id on Play free then.

I will give that thread a second read, perhaps there is newer info in it that I did not read last time. I will report back if I find I am wrong.

THX!

b.
Old 27-07-2013, 09:41   #9

Quote:
Bad choice mate. I code ;-)

The tablet is supposed to be rooted or not? Rooting a tablet voids warranty or not?

If placing OpenCPN on an Android is a s simple as you are trying to imply, PLS open a therad and post simple 1-2-3 instruction.

If it is as simple as you want, why not write an app that will do the pre-OpenCPN adjustment all in one go? We could distribute id on Play free then.

I will give that thread a second read, perhaps there is newer info in it that I did not read last time. I will report back if I find I am wrong.

THX!

b.
b.

You are the "coder" not me, so why don't you write the app?

I question the value of warranties in general and particularly where well designed and built electronic devices like today's tablets are concerned. Odds are if one is bad it's D.O.A. brand new - whatever the cause.

Rooted devices can be unrooted and the nandroid backup of the original operating system restored for warranty needs. Most devices have procedures for rooting that are pretty idiot proof. Even if an idiot manages to mess things up it is a very rare occasion when the device cannot be restored. Called 'hard bricking' as opposed to 'soft bricking'.

1.) instructions installing linux and OpenCPN on android devices:

Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

2.) Brief additional instructions for using Linux Deploy to install linux on android devices:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-107226.html

3.) How to get usb, built in and bluetooth g.p.s working with OpenCPN installed per instructions at link in #1 above.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-103649.html
Old 27-07-2013, 11:23   #10

Quote:
b.

You are the "coder" not me, so why don't you write the app?

(...)
Because there is no OpenCPN App on android Play (or on AP alternative) to load!

(OPINION:

IMHO, it is a mis-understanding of the whole app/tab idea to write a line of code that relies on:
- rooting,
- sideloading,
- other apps to be loaded up first and run (I call this prosthesis programming).

This is simply NOT how apps/tab users act. They want to click on it, download it, and it is supposed to work out of the box.

/OPINION)

This much said, THX for bringing OpenCPN on Android to the frontline again - I believe it is a subject, and a piece of software, that is/are well worth developing and I will be most happy if we see an OpenCPN App one day.

I will follow your links and see if I can get OpenCPN running on our tab. Given the simple fact that an Android device costs me only 33% of an equivalent Windows 8 device, I will be most happy if I succeed.

Cheers,
b.
Old 27-07-2013, 14:26   #11

b.

Thanks for giving it a go. Constructive feedback welcome. Sometimes it only requires a different word here or there. A bit more explanation. Reports of filenames that may change over time. Discovered alternate tools to simplify the installation process. All welcome!
Old 27-07-2013, 15:40   #12

Forgot to say I recently rooted a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 P5100.

If you'll be using M.S. Windows see:

[How To] ROOT- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110 & 4.0.4 UPGRADE or OEM] - xda-developers

If using a linux box see Post #192 here:

[How To] ROOT- Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 [GT-P5113 / 5100 / 5110 & 4.0.4 UPGRADE or OEM] - Page 20 - xda-developers

For installing clockworkmod touch recovery see:

[Recovery][How To][For GT - P51XX] Clockworkmod Touch Recovery 6.0.2.3 + Mobile Odin - xda-developers
Old 27-07-2013, 16:45   #13

@ Wrong

I have revisited the instructions. As the the matter does not relate to OP's query, I am sending you a PM.

b.
Old 28-07-2013, 07:19   #14

Quote:
@ Wrong

I have revisited the instructions. As the the matter does not relate to OP's query, I am sending you a PM.

b.
Going to post steps I took using my Fedora Linux box to root the Samsung. May not be very useful to you if you're using Windows, but the may be a step or two that is similar.

See: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-94064-20.html
Old 27-10-2013, 02:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Anyone has this rather new android tablet and use it aboard with Navionics charts? Works ok? Happy with the screen brightness at outdoors?

This story at a finnish news site caught my eye, they pour water over it, sink it to shallow water, so it should be at least splash proof.

MTV3 teki uutuustabletille sen mistä varoitetaan - laite suoraan järveen - MTV3.fi - Uutiset - IT

Here is one english review:

Sony Xperia Tablet Z review | ITProPortal.com

I found out that the Sony Xperia Tablet Z surprisingly does NOT have an inbuilt GPS, so its of my list. Ipad is looking more interesting now.