Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 15:44   #1

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"
OpenCpn Install on Android Tablets Easier Now.

For those of you with rooted tablets, installing opencpn has been simplified now that wxWidgets is available from Debian repositories. Compiling wxWidgets is no longer necessary!

Still, those of you with unrooted, jailed tablets must root your device before opencpn can be installed. Easier to do than you may expect but not risk free.

For instructions on installing opencpn on a Motorola Xoom, and most likely any make of android tablet see: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

If you encounter problems please let me know.

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 16:24   #2

Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Note: I cannot edit the instructions at opencpn.org from my tablet, so this is to advise anyone who cannot start opencpn following a successful installation - that only root may be able to start the program.

Open the terminal and log in as root. > su <enter> , then supply the root password. Then type 'opencpn' (without quotes) and press <enter>.

Also, it is necessary to log in as root "su" when using the terminal to perform all installation steps at opencpn.org.

I'll edit the instructions tomorrow from my laptop.

armido
Old 05-12-2012, 16:57   #3

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

And in the meantime you can take total command of OpenCPN plus ANY other Windows based program from your Android based tablet using the free TeamViewer program.

This way,you have access to hundreds of Android apps as well as years of Windows installed programs on your desktop or laptop,all from your tablet.

Tore
Old 05-12-2012, 22:20   #4

simbad7,

TeamViewer appears to be designed for accessing programs on a laptop or desktop computer - an arrangement that suits shoreside work. The advantage of installing linux and OpenCpn on a tablet is portability and extremely low power consumption, compatible with use while under way. I presume you are promoting TeamView as a supplementary tool, and not as a suitable replacement to running OpenCpn on a tablet. Right?

armido
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31   #5

Boat: Wasa 410

What is the principle distinction between a tablet and a phone in respect to running OpenCPN .(except the obvious, but somewhat arbitrary, difference in screen size)

Would it be possible to run openCPN on a Samsung Note 7", Samsung Galaxy S3, etc
What would be the limitations? (Processor speed, memory, screen size, ...)
What is the risk? (Regarding breaking the phone so you cant make calls. That would be a major bummer ;-) )

/J
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:15   #6

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Android is Android, should work fine. "Bricking" your device is possible anytime you go to root your device, but a lot of tips for tablets can be found here. FreakTab.com
It's a buddies site and he created a Marine section for me but I've had more on plate getting the boat ready for cruising. Any additions to what I've put there is more than welcome.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01   #7

Boat: Mac 26X
Is there any benefit to rooting/Linux/full OpenCPN vs MX Mariner?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:40   #8

Instructions at opencpn.org have been updated and made more comprehensible.

ElGatoGoro,

I have not tried MX Mariner, so I have no answer to your question. However, $6.95 vs. $0.00 is worth consideration. Also, OpenCpn uses Cmap vector charts. You may also want to consider that once linux is installed on your device other free linux programs are available.

jonasaberg,

I installed Debian LXDE and OpenCpn on a Huawei Slim-7 before buying my Xoom. The Huawei was my test device and had no trouble installing linux and OpenCpn. While OpenCpn is usable on a 7" device, there is a distinct advantage to having a larger screen.

Rooting a device is actually a very straight forward procedure. If something goes wrong recovering your android installation is not too difficult. I borked my device by deleting a linux subdirectory linked to the android system. Had to reinstall apk's, linux and OpenCpn - but I have enough experience by now to do this relatively fast. It is very important you have Clockworkmod recovery installed in your device - as instructed in most how-to's at such sites as xda. Follow instructions and you will succeed. Deviate and you may not.

armido
Old 06-12-2012, 08:51   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Armindo,

a touch off the current topic, but still along the same lines.

If I were to root an Android tablet, install Ubuntu and open CPN, could I also install a wefax program such as Xaxero wefax 2000 USB? If so this solution is what I've been looking for for a while!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:09   #10

sailmonkey,

I have not tried using a usb device with linux on my tablet. Not even a gps. This is because except on very rare occasions when I have to know the precise location of my boat when near hazards, I do not use a gps attached to my laptop. I simply drop a mark and enter lat and long values from the gps into the mark properties module. This works well with the tablet, negating the need to start the laptop at all.

If I need to use a gps with OpenCpn I'll fire up the laptop. In the meanwhile I'll leave testing usb devices with tablet linux installations to others.

This may be an opportunity for you to be the first to test your Xaxero program.

Also, I am not familiar with your program. Is it a linux or MS Windows program? If it is a Windows program it may or may not work using 'wine' in linux. The primary obstacle will most likely be getting your Windows program to communicate with a usb device when running with wine on linux.

armido
Old 06-12-2012, 10:26   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The Xaxero program is both windows and Ubuntu linux. I have not tried it on Linux yet, but am frothing at the idea of slapping a droid tablet on the bulkhead above the nav desk and running open CPN on it (with GPS supplied somehow) and being able to run the wefax program.

I was hoping you said the tablet internal gps was working with open cpn........I may need to cough up and purchase a droid tablet and give all this a go!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:09   #12

Boat: Mac 26X
Am I reading correctly that going through the root and loading OpenCPN you're not even using it with the tablet's built in GPS?

I'm not one of these rude posters wanting to insult you AT ALL, but this sounds really wasteful. For $7 I get to use MX Mariner like OpenCPN on my laptop, to actually see where I am on the chart. If you can't do that...what's the advantage? May as well stick worth paper charts no?

As a matter of fact I have a couple of free apps that will work with GPS as well
Old 06-12-2012, 12:48   #13

ElGatoGoro,

Your input is not considered in the least bit insulting. If one looks deeply enough into what others say, he or she may find something of value.

First, the conversation above was discussing sailmonkeys desire to use a program requiring a usb port. There was no discussion as to why a usb port is required. However, your mention of possibly using a tablets built in gps - if that is why sailmonkey needs a usb port (to connect to a gps) - is an idea worth pursuing.

In regard to your comment regarding my not using a gps - internal or otherwise - I'll just say two global circumnavigations in a 27' sailboat is sufficient to underscore the adequacy of my navigation skills. People will use their tablets to aid navigation in any way they want.

I''m confident linux will recognize a tablet's built in gps. Whether or not a useful connection is possible depends on driver compatibility and hardware configuration. Why not accept the challenge of exploring this possibility yourself? Better to contribute than criticize others pursuits of doing things in different ways from what you may believe is right.

Finally, if you are not interested in benefitting from other advantages linux has to offer maybe MX Mariner is all you require.

Thanks,
Armido
Old 06-12-2012, 13:27   #14

Linux finds the built in gps.

Linux dmesg returns gps_brcm4750, stingray gps and other information. If you install from Google Play 'Phone Tester', you can observe gps activity.

I am only guessing, without doing more research that the gps driver is a broadcom 4750. The device may be manufactured by stingray. Anybody want to do more research - have at it.

armido
Old 06-12-2012, 13:42   #15

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Armido..

Like me,hundreds of sailors have spent years downloading and using a great variety of navigation utilities plus untold other useful applications with and without internet access on their laptops. Mine has a capacity of 500 GB. My Galaxy 10.1 Tablet has a mere 14 GB.

As I will continue bringing my laptop on board,I will conserve space on my tablet for the great number of FREE apps,using my laptop for heavy data such as all my world-wide nautical charts,videos and music.

My tablet can now be used to totally access and control OpenCPN and all other Windows based programs on my laptop,PLUS all the hundreds of free or low cost Android based apps. All you need on board is a local wi-fi or a LAN network.

On fine days at sea you can let the autopilot take command whilst sitting,leaning against the mast with the tablet in you lap,enjoying your navigation!!

But,if you prefer hitting yourself in the head with a hammer,be my guest!

Fair winds!

Tore

Tags
opencpn