Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 20:03   #1

Boat: Catana C48
Solar Charger Noise Coupling in to Audio Amps

Hello!

I have a 12V standalone audio amplifier (Lepai LP-2020A+) for my cockpit speakers. During the day when my solar array is charging there is an annoying buzz coming from the speakers thats independent of the volume setting. I tried putting a choke from a car stereo in series, but it didn't help.

Anyone know what I can do to clean up the 12V leg? I'm hesitant to simply add capacitance because I have a pretty complicated charging system (2 engines, 2 solar arrays, and a turbine) and I'm worried that if I change the impedance of the house load significantly it may mess something up.

Worst case I'll use a LDO regulator, but I was kind of hoping I could get something off-the-shelf instead of having to engineer something (I'd need to step up the 12V before I use the LDO to avoid dropout).

Thanks!
-Jordan
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 21:18   #2

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Re: Solar Charger Noise Coupling in to Audio Amps

[QUOTE=Jordan;1923097]Hello!

I have a 12V standalone audio amplifier (Lepai LP-2020A+) for my cockpit speakers. tried putting a choke from a car stereo in series, but it didn't help.
/QUOTE]

It may have helped & proved the noise is not on the 12V Rail!! It may be a ground loop in the input side. You could try disconnectiong the input lines & putting a electro to short each input to see if there is any change.

Regards
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, noise, solar