Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 10:38   #1

Boat: Conyplex, Contest, 48'
Simrad Robertson AP20 HELP!!

I'm trying to get an old autopilot hooked up on our relatively new sailboat. I've finally got power back to the junction box and everything boots up fine. If I go into the dockside settings to test the rudder from the control unit It'll either pass and show everything is fine or I get a low voltage error or just a simple fail error.
I've been through the motor and cylinder and they work fine. I connected 12v direct to the reversing motor/pump and it runs fine. If I connect the solenoid leads then the the cylinder strokes the rudder until the stops and then I'll reverse polarity and the rudder goes the other way. So that is working.
If I hook up a volt meter to the terminal block and watch it when I run through the rudder test I only get 1.5 to 2 volts and nothing happens.
If I check the output voltage on junction box (J300X-40) I get the same 1.5 - 2 volts.
Am I missing something here or is the junction box possibly bad.
If I go into manual mode to try to turn the rudder by adjusting the rudder angle writhing the control unit I immediately get a rudder feedback error which if assume is because the motor isn't getting enough power.
Any help would be greatly appreciated or if you need more info I'll be happy to relay that.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
fishbait58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:04   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Simrad Robertson AP20 HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbait58 View Post
I'm trying to get an old autopilot hooked up on our relatively new sailboat. I've finally got power back to the junction box and everything boots up fine. If I go into the dockside settings to test the rudder from the control unit It'll either pass and show everything is fine or I get a low voltage error or just a simple fail error.
I've been through the motor and cylinder and they work fine. I connected 12v direct to the reversing motor/pump and it runs fine. If I connect the solenoid leads then the the cylinder strokes the rudder until the stops and then I'll reverse polarity and the rudder goes the other way. So that is working.
If I hook up a volt meter to the terminal block and watch it when I run through the rudder test I only get 1.5 to 2 volts and nothing happens.
If I check the output voltage on junction box (J300X-40) I get the same 1.5 - 2 volts.
Am I missing something here or is the junction box possibly bad.
If I go into manual mode to try to turn the rudder by adjusting the rudder angle writhing the control unit I immediately get a rudder feedback error which if assume is because the motor isn't getting enough power.
Any help would be greatly appreciated or if you need more info I'll be happy to relay that.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
There are a number of transistors in the J300X that deliver power to the rudder drive. By the sound of it (1.5-2 volts) it sounds as if the transistors are shot. They can be replaced but are not inexpensive. For more information you might call "Steve" at Jaytron Electronics (941-746-6385) in Bradenton, Florida. Steve is an expert on the Simrad autopilots. And, he might know of a service center closer to you. On a worst case basis, you can send him your control head and your J300X via USPS Flat Rate shipping and he can probably get it working for you.

Good luck....
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
simrad