Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 17:07   #1

Boat: Spencer 30 - Brigand
Silva 400 Mast Head Transducer

Hi,
I'm happy to be part of this forum and look forward to some help here in Australia.
My 30 ft Spencer came with a Silva 400 wind direction and speed mast head sensor which has never worked. I have recently aquired a B & G analog/digital display (that requires NMEA0183 data to enable a connection) and a Stowe/Robertson Dataline box. I have managed to download a copy of Silva manual but the specs do not tell me about protocol etc. I have emailed Silva without any luck so far.
My question is, assuming the sensor is ok,how do I know if the Silva is compatible? and if not is there a way of converting the signal to NMEA?.
Would appreciae any help.
mikewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 10:09   #2

Silva 400 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewebb View Post
Hi,
I'm happy to be part of this forum and look forward to some help here in Australia.
My 30 ft Spencer came with a Silva 400 wind direction and speed mast head sensor which has never worked. I have recently aquired a B & G analog/digital display (that requires NMEA0183 data to enable a connection) and a Stowe/Robertson Dataline box. I have managed to download a copy of Silva manual but the specs do not tell me about protocol etc. I have emailed Silva without any luck so far.
My question is, assuming the sensor is ok,how do I know if the Silva is compatible? and if not is there a way of converting the signal to NMEA?.
Would appreciae any help.
Hello, I just had a problem with my Silva 400 wind transducer, placed on mast head of my Dehler boat floating at Canary Islands.

After dismounting the full assy. from the mast head and dissamble it, asked for help to Nexus Marine who is the Silva department in charge of this part.

They say do not have any more electronic circuits spares for this unit and do not supply schematic as they are for in-house use only, ¿have yo ever heard anything more stupid?. Finally I was find out the problem in one of two photocoupler and fixed it just for cleanning it with water and soap.

This is a very clever piece for design. It supply a PWM signal where the frecuency give the wind speed and the pulse width the angle. I ignore if there is a NMEA converter for it, be lucky.
HORMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 19:54   #3

Boat: Scanmar 42
Post Manuals to your Silva Electronic Instrument

Hi, I had a look on the webb and found the manual to your Silva 400 Instrument.

Manuals - www.nexusmarine.se

Kind regards
Bo the
Sweden
eddievan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast