Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2009, 23:35   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Si-Tex Explorer Plus

I have been reading some of the threads about chartplotters as I will eventually need to make a decision regarding this equipment sometime.

I am old school enough to keep paper charts with position updates every couple of hours, however I really like the flexability of using a chartplotter for both plotting waypoints for the GPS, and for keeping track of position in poor visibility situations.

I am not so much concerned with something for the cockpit, but rather the Nav Station, and the larger the better, only the prices for these uints are outrageous. $2,000+ for a unit with less than 10" of screen? Are they nuts?

In my research online I came upon the Si-Tex Explorer Plus. It is a C-Map based system that uses any external VGA monitor combined with the unit that has the buttons and scroll controller. This system would let me use a 19" computer monitor for under $100 plus the controller for under $700.

Is there anyone here that has used this system, or has any first hand experience with it? Can I get some feedback on whether or not they liked it, and why?

Si-Tex Explorer Plus Plus With Gpk-10-6 Gps

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 19:26   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I asked the same question here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post364386

I have used one before, (see pic) I believe it was the same brand and loved the concept of having that sized screen.

I will be having an internal helm for passagemaking, night time and inclement weather, I will also be having a 22'" monitor near the helm, so why not use it?]\

Even if I dont have it joined with radar sounder etc, still a good thing IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plotter.jpg
Views:	1466
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	11359  
Old 26-11-2009, 22:17   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
My understanding of these units is that they cannot handle widescreen resolutions, and need a standard aspect ratio screen, which is why I was leaning towards a 19" monitor.

Does your experience suggest that the widescreen aspect ratio is accepted?

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 22:48   #4

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate View Post
My understanding of these units is that they cannot handle widescreen resolutions, and need a standard aspect ratio screen, which is why I was leaning towards a 19" monitor.

Does your experience suggest that the widescreen aspect ratio is accepted?
apparently not

Seiwa Marine – Navigating the Seas of Tomorrow

Quote:
Technical specifications: • Microprocessor: ARM9 S3C2410 400 MHz • Resolution: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 • Power consumption: 400mA @ 12V DC • Supply Voltage: 10-35 Volt DC • Cartridge: 2 x C-Card • Weight: 950 g Functions: • BBFF compatible: yes • RADAR compatible: yes • AIS / DSC: yes • WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS compatible: yes • Video Camera: no • Worldwide Background Cartography: yes • Sunlight viewable Display: no • Fast Processor 200 MHz (Explorer3 400 MHz): yes • C-Cards Slots: 2 • GOTO key: yes • MOB (Man Over Board): yes • Time to Destination: yes • Distance to Destination: yes • Selectable track color: yes • Fuel Consumption: yes • Compass Calibration: yes • Tide Info: yes • Port Info: yes • Navigation Info: yes • Find Tide Station: yes • Find Port: yes • Find Wrecks: yes •
Oh well, 19 " screens are cheap as chips