Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 23:05   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Satellite internet-Hughsnet?

A couple, maybe three years ago there was a discussion on trying to get internet on a boat while at sea.
Well, it seems is getting closer for the average Joe. Hughsnet is now selling packages for satellite internet at reasonable prices. The downfalls are the dish is large and I assume it's only for the USA.
I'm waiting for it to become mobile at a reasonable price.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:41   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Satellite internet-Hughsnet?

Google, Facebook, SpaceX want Internet via air, space - CNN.com
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Hughsnet is now selling packages for satellite internet at reasonable prices. The downfalls are the dish is large and I assume it's only for the USA.
The biggest downfall, for anyone on a boat, is that the dish has to be aimed at the satellite. Meaning--for all intents and purposes--that the dish has to be stationary. So, maybe at a dock, but definitely not while at anchor, or on a mooring, and ABSOLUTELY not while at sea.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 14:46   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The biggest downfall, for anyone on a boat, is that the dish has to be aimed at the satellite. Meaning--for all intents and purposes--that the dish has to be stationary. So, maybe at a dock, but definitely not while at anchor, or on a mooring, and ABSOLUTELY not while at sea.
On my RV I have a dish/dome that actually follows the satellite while in motion. And if they put up all those satellites they are talking about, there wouldn't be much variation or movement. They just need to miniaturize them for pleasure craft. But yeah, for now we're still not up to par in the tech.

Winegard RoadTrip Mission Roof Mount RV Satellite Antenna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	112660  
Old 09-11-2015, 17:14   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
On my RV I have a dish/dome that actually follows the satellite while in motion. And if they put up all those satellites they are talking about, there wouldn't be much variation or movement. They just need to miniaturize them for pleasure craft. But yeah, for now we're still not up to par in the tech.

Winegard RoadTrip Mission Roof Mount RV Satellite Antenna
You won't need a dish... just something like a BGAN antenna but at a much cheaper price. Maybe not even that... it may work over your cell phone.

All BGAN Terminals
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 17:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
They already have gimbaled systems that point to the satellites no matter your how ruff or what direction the boat is headed. But hughesnet isn't for the ocean use. If you want internet out in the middle of the ocean you need something like iridium and it is extremely expensive last time I looked.

I'm just sitting here waiting for Google or space x to launch all their low orbit sats for worldwide Internet.
Ghillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 23:32   #7

does the hugesnet require a phone line? all the old household sat internet systems (10 years ago) needed a phone line. it was sat download, and phone line upload (56k). because generally sat dishes only receive.

edit: looks like new one doesn't need phone.

I'm pretty sure people like KVH and Intellian could make a tracking dome for the hughs systems and accounts if they become common.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 06:55   #8

Hey delmarrey.

If you spend time in the Caribbean we've just launched Pan-Caribbean voice and data bundles for 4G. Basically 1 SIM card that can roam in the US & Canada and any of the Caribbean countries Digicel have a network in (almost all of them ).

It won't work in absolutely open waters but the signal propagates really well across water in general so it extends out to sea several miles from our towers on land.

I've attached the Pre-Paid Voice & Data Bundles. We also have pure data plans. PM if you have any questions or set up a call. We're happy to ship SIMs to where you are etc.

Kevin
DigicelBVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 07:25   #9

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Had HughesNet at my off grid cabin in the woods from '08-'10.

Worked fine, no land line, reasonable price.

It was my connection to this forum as a lurker and for boat research before buying my boat in 2010. Invaluable in that it empowered me to get the right boat for me on the first try.

Of course, not a mobile solution.

Tags
internet, satellite