Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 05:57   #16

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Satellite Comms

Hi
PredictWind is offering a discounted subscription.
Not clear if can be used it on my Garmin InReach+?
Thanks
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:30   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

What is an InReach+ ?

Same as Explorer+ in a different market?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:18   #18

Thanks
almost same,Garmin has two models an this is simpler than Explores,but same basic functions,I understand InReach offers a weather service but also think PredictWind is superior,however not sure will work,wondering if somebody uses it.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:25   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Hi
PredictWind is offering a discounted subscription.
Not clear if can be used it on my Garmin InReach+?
Thanks
No, you cannot use Predictwind with an InReach. InReach is a global satellite messenger and tracker. It allows you to send/receive short messages anywhere in the world, but there is no ability to download files, browse the web, etc.

InReach does have a simple point weather forecast feature that will get the weather forecast for a particular lat/lon position.

PredictWind Offshore app (used with PredictWind subscriptions) needs a way to download GRIB files. This can be email (either SSB/Pactor or satellite/wifi/cellular), or direct download via WiFi, Satellite or Cellular). Satellite connections can be Iridium Go!, Iridium/Globalstar/Inmarsat Phone with optimizer, or more expensive broadband units.

One thing you can look at that will work with an InReach is FastSeas. It's cheaper than PredictWind and can give you forecast and route information via short message to your InReach. But it's also less featureful compared with PredictWind.
Old 11-12-2018, 13:01   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
What is an InReach+ ?

Same as Explorer+ in a different market?
Quote:
almost same,Garmin has two models an this is simpler than Explores,but same basic functions,I understand InReach offers a weather service
Googled some more, really cannot find any Garmin model specifically called InReach+

I believe the two Garmin devices that use the inReach/Iridium network service are the SE+ and Explorer+.

Their predecessors were from before Garmin bought DeLorme, same two model names, but without the plus.
Old 11-12-2018, 13:57   #21

you are correct John,I did not post the correct model,is a Garmin InReach SE+,the one I have and Sea techSystems (Richard) just posted a very comprehensive response/view on what InReach can do and cannot do,I was hopping that may be was a way to download their info,however no can do,should have a sat cellular phone and service but not sure my needs justify that expense,will investigate the service Richard suggests as well perhaps may have to make do with what Garmin offers at this time.
David
Old 11-12-2018, 14:05   #22

Just checked https://fastseas.com/.
looks interesting and the price is right.
Old 11-12-2018, 14:16   #23
cruiser

the Explorer+ has more nav features than SE+ but not extensive,

more for the 2-way messaging and SOS,

and yes neither gives a generic internet connection, work through the Garmin / inReach servers / website only, then out to friends & family via SMS

Have not heard of many using at sea, believe mostly targeted for land, hikers / 4WD etc users
Old 11-12-2018, 14:27   #24

John,actually quite a few find them useful and helpful (for the money invested)like I purchased it for just a single use,to keep my daughter informed where I am as well as all is well,that is a very simple text daily report but suffice on a daily use,I used to have my SSB system paired with Pinoak I think was the name? and that will give me all the info needed,included was EMail but this time I bypassed the SSB by using the Garmin contraption,easy and simple,perhaps someday might go ahead and re install my old ICOM .
Getting lazy at old age.
Old 11-12-2018, 14:47   #25

response from Predictwind

Nick Olson (Support)

Dec 12, 06:32 NZDT

Hi David,

Thanks for making contact.

The short answer is unfortunately no. The long answer is below

InReach use the Iridium short burst data modem which we sold in a previous product. We have discontinued this product, as we see the Iridium GO! as a far superior product. Here are our reasons.

InReach has no ability to receive ANY detailed weather data like you can receive with the Offshore App ie GRIB files, Weather Routing, Departure Planning, GMDSS text forecasts & Satellite imagery.
InReach has no ability to make a voice call.
InReach has no ability to get internet access like the Iridium GO! - albeit at the slow 2.4Kbits/s data speed.
The email access on InReach does not allow any file attachments to send photos.
The Iridium GO Plus plan has unlimited SMS text messaging to any mobile in the world. The Iridium GO Unlimited plan has unlimited SMS text messaging to any mobile in the world and unlimited Data calls . InReach does not have this feature.

So if your primary goal is GPS Tracking then InReach is a great product. But the Iridium GO! is a far better device for offshore/remote sailing in our opinion. Please see Iridium GO! - PredictWind

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards

Nick Olson
Old 11-12-2018, 17:09   #26

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I got an iridium phone pretty cheap on ebay. worth looking. If you go that route I would say definitely get the external antenna.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:17   #27
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
John,actually quite a few find them useful and helpful (for the money invested)like I purchased it for just a single use,to keep my daughter informed where I am as well as all is well,that is a very simple text daily report but suffice on a daily use,I used to have my SSB system paired with Pinoak I think was the name? and that will give me all the info needed,included was EMail but this time I bypassed the SSB by using the Garmin contraption,easy and simple,perhaps someday might go ahead and re install my old ICOM .
Getting lazy at old age.
If you have a Pactor modem, you can use Sailmail email via SSB to get the data for PredictWind. The PredictWind Offshore app has an email download option that generates the request, then you open the attached files you receive back into PredictWind Offshore.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:19   #28
Marine Service Provider

Davil,

Where are you planning to be cruising? There may be other options, for example Globalstar has a new Sat-Fi2. WAY faster data than the Iridium Go! and cheaper to buy. But its coverage is somewhat limited currently.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:03   #29

Richard
to Florida (no problem covered by cell),then out to Bahamas Caribbean to include Puerto Rico,ending in Antigua,to Bermuda.
I know should install my SSB but am just up to my ears of projects and jobs since June when I bought my boat.
Plan to put the radio in a locker and may be install it some time in the future,with the exception of redoing the backstay, is not a big deal and have done it before but as of now just want to leave the dock.
The Garmin InReach gives me the basic texting/keeping in touch,weather is apparently the weakest link on my current set up.
Was a suggestion of buying a sat phone in EBay and that could be a way,nevertheless will be interested on your ideas.
Old 12-12-2018, 13:04   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Richard
to Florida (no problem covered by cell),then out to Bahamas Caribbean to include Puerto Rico,ending in Antigua,to Bermuda.
I know should install my SSB but am just up to my ears of projects and jobs since June when I bought my boat.
Plan to put the radio in a locker and may be install it some time in the future,with the exception of redoing the backstay, is not a big deal and have done it before but as of now just want to leave the dock.
The Garmin InReach gives me the basic texting/keeping in touch,weather is apparently the weakest link on my current set up.
Was a suggestion of buying a sat phone in EBay and that could be a way,nevertheless will be interested on your ideas.
The Sat-Fi2 might work for you actually.
https://www.sea-tech.com/product/glo...-wifi-hotspot/

$499 for the unit, and starts at $480 per year, which includes 480 minutes of voice, 60MB of data, and 300 SMS messages.

The Sat-Fi2 is a new unit from Globalstar, using their newer satellites and redundant downlink ties. It's much faster than the Go! (70kbps vs 2.4kbps), enough that you can browse a few web pages if you need to. But for Predictwind it would work very well with a slight change to the firewall rules in the Sat-Fi2.

There's really nothing else that competes in the same price point. The coverage is certainly not as good as the Iridium Go! or eve Inmarsat, but the price and performance beats both.

Take a look at the Coverage Map tab on the product page to see how it fits, but based on the places you mentioned I think it would work for your needs.

Tags
satellite