Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:27   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Remove B&G 213 Wind Sensor?

We have trouble taking the sensor off the mast. It's hard to see everything well while in the bosuns chair and I think the thing is stuck. Can anyone confirm if this is a straight screw-on-ring or a more elaborate push-and-turn bayonet type connector?

Right now we can turn the ring a bit each way until it stops hard. We can't see if the part attached to the mast turns as well or not.

Strange as it is, I couldn't find this info anywhere on the Internet.

thanks,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 14:29   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
I think Nick you must have it incorrectly set to read true wind from STW

I installed one a couple of months ago and can confirm you unscrew the large black metal ring then the arm pulls straight out. No bayonet action just a straight pull (with a small locating tab to align it vertically, but you only need to worry about this installing the arm).
I sympathize with the bosons chair difficulty. Things that seem easy at ground level are not so easy when up the mast.
My solution is to send my wife up, as I am usually terrified as soon as my feet leave the deck.
She spend 4 hours up the mast one day installing our new wind instruments.
Cheers John
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 14:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

John,

Thanks! So that confirms it's just stuck and needs convincing to come off ;-) It's been up there for 15 years so I'm not surprised.

And indeed it's showing ground related readings instead of water. I think it's upset about being in a marina so long ;-)

ciao!
Nick.
Old 10-06-2009, 14:55   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Wow 15 years that's not bad service. I asume you know B&G will sell you all the bearings etc to rebuild the unit. With my new system I got spare bearings wind cups and wind vane, which I guess means that some other part, that I have not, got will break when I am in the middle of nowhere.
I think my wife has got some pictures in her camera of the installation that I can post if you think it would be helpful.
Cheers John
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 15:02   #5

Also be aware that the threaded part that the 213 screws onto is itself threaded onto the molded receptacle which fits through a hole in the metal mounting bracket. The bracket is designed so that the receptacle won't turn in the hole. If the threads of the 213 are siezed tight but the threads of the receptacle are not, this can be a problem. If you try to force it with a pair of channel locks you may end up destroying the receptacle or the plug in the end of the 213. Of course, you don't have much choice other than to try and force it. If you take the bracket off the masthead and let the 213 hang down, you might be able to get some lubricant spray down into the threads. It may be a little tough though to get the front two screws out with the 213 attached.

Good luck,
Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:31   #6

Here's how it looks. Normally, you never have to remove the collar that holds the receptacle to the mount but I have in order to repair/replace mounting brackets that were damaged in masthead collisions.

Eric

fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 13:14   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks guys!

I now see that the little play we feel is the whole assembly moving in the bracket. Also, like fairbank wrote, there's not much choice, especially since the stainless screws will also be seized to the aluminium masthead. We plan to pull both masts when we get to the US so for now I think it'll be the pliers or vicegrip and pray ;-)

Moelex: 15 years ain't bad and that included a full hit of one cat4 hurricane and near hits of a whole bunch. My guess is that without those it would still be good. It's always like that, when the insurance surveyer is there, nothing is broken yet ;-)

I'll post what happened which will probably be tomorrow if the weather agrees.

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
removal