Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 16:11   #1

Raymarine ST60 depth problem - conversion

I have a Raymarine ST60 depth display that used to work (screen not very bright).
It stopped working ... this happened while replacing the old autopilot with a new one.
The ST60 was getting its power from the Seatalk connector.
I plugged its cable into the Seatalk and it's not getting any power.
I tried supplying power separately, but still nothing ....
Can it go bad that quickly?
How can I test it ?? Test/repair would be my first choice, as any upgrade usually creates problems.
I'm not even sure I should take for repairs - a new I40 depth display sells for $150... is it just "plug & play"?
If it's time to replace it, I'd rather go with the tridata Raymarine I70S ($380), but not sure if connections are complicated or need additional hardware.
Thank you for any thoughts/advice.
Gabriel
1996 hunter 376
Tyler2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 16:35   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: Raymarine ST60 depth problem - conversion

Some questions:
1. Screen not very bright. Is this true when you set the display brightness to level 3?
2. What type of course computer?
3. Have you tested the power connectors at the course computer? Do you have 12VDC between the red and screen terminals?
4. How do you know the ST50 is not powering up? It could be just a failure of the LCD display. Test the power leads going to the transducer to see if it is outputting power.

It does sound like your ST60 was failing, and a common failure point is at power up. Just make sure your course computer is providing power to SeaTalk. Also make sure the Autopilot is the only source of power to the SeaTalk Network. Other than some glitch in the SeaTalk network is does sound like time to replace the depth unit.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, marine, raymarine