Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 08:53   #1

Raymarine RL70C vs. Plus

Hi everyone,
Our boat has a Raymarine RL70 Plus, monochrome chartplotter. Compared to the Raytheon version, the Plus series has additional CPU and memory, HSB2 interface, MARPA, and supports the CMAP-NT+ charts. I have current CMAP-NT+ charts for our sailing area. Overall, I've been happy with the RL70Plus (even though B/W).

We've wanted to upgrade to a color display without spending big bucks and replacing the radar, GPS, etc. I picked up a ~2001 color Raytheon RL70C color chartplotter for a reasonable price (I have the option to return). This is the Raytheon, pre Raymarine version.

In comparing the RL70 Plus to the RL70C, the RL70C has trouble displaying zoomed-in chart detail, say at 1/2 or 1/4 mile. Sometimes the chart is not shown, and if you pan around, the chart appears. Other areas can zoom in to 1/8 mile. Obviously it can't load the higher level detail - possibly due to limited memory. I have reset the unit and turned off plotter mode, as suggested on the Raymarine forums - this helped, but not always.

MARPA is one of those features we use, especially when crossing the shipping lanes. I think I'd miss that, especially since AIS doesn't show on this era screen. The uncertainty of the chart display is my main concern.

HSB vs. HSB2 is not a concern - I can't fish the HSB/HSB2 cable to the nav-station, so I'm not networking the displays.

At one point Raymarine offered an upgrade to the Plus series. I'm not even sure if this is still an available option or worth the cost.

What do you think? It is a bit of work to remove my monochrome chartplotter from my nav-station and I'd rather not go through this if I'm not going to be happy with the older color unit. Are there any other upgrade options (e.g., memory)?

Should I keep it, or return and keep looking for a color RL70C Plus?

As usual, I appreciate everyone's input,
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 13:24   #2

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Raymarine RL70C vs. Plus

I believe you can upgrade the RL70C or CRC to MARPA via software according to this website. By the way if you do not want either of the units, feel free to sell me one.

Raymarine Stock Clearance Radar & Raychart Displays
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine