Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 21:15   #1

Boat: Bavaria 40 Ocean
Raymarine C70 - GPS / Radar Interface Troubleshooting

I recently purchased a 2001 Bavaria 40 Ocean with a Raymarine C70. I'm not showing any GPS data on the C70 screen even though a new 'test' GPS head with its green status indicator shows the GPS is working.

The radar is also not functional and the electrician advised that there may be a common problem within the C70 itself. He has not been up the mast yet to determine the status of the transmitting array. The C70 indicates the radar is not transmitting.

The previous owner traded the boat for a larger boat and he would have no motivation to provide other than factual advice when he told me both GPS and radar were working a few months ago. I purchased my first boat from the same dealer and know him to be an honourable man - he also advised the units were working when he took the boat in trade. The quality of the historical data since new is meticulous and other malfunctions it the boat's service life are dutifully recorded.

I find it interesting both units would independently and simultaneously cease to function... which makes me seek a common source for both malfunctions - while keeping in mind that alternative explanations are certainly possible.

I have not found much useful troubleshooting advice in the C70 Manual or on Forum Threads.

Has anyone with C70 experience worked through a similar problem? I'd pass some hints politely to the electrician before he sends the C70 to SYD for eval and possibly repair. Thanks...
Nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 23:36   #2

Boat: Bavaria 40 Ocean
Re: Raymarine C70 - GPS / Radar Interface Troubleshooting

C70 Repair Resolution:

C70 sent to Raymarine in SYD for testing - all OK.

Electrician up the mast to remove radome - found the power wires pulled off their terminals inside the radome. Reconnected wires - radar now functional with C70.

GPS antenna unit did reply with malfunction - replaced with new GPS unit - now functional with C70.

Lesson learned - It appears that something snagged the radar power wires where the wires exit the bottom of the mast before they enter the deck, which pulled them loose from inside the radome. Given the acute bends in the wiring to reach the radome it must have been one heck of a tug.

No idea about the GPS... wiring check intact; however, failed head. So, the improbability of a simultaneous failure effectively did occur.

Just another example of looking for the simplest explanation first... even though it may be a pain to go aloft.

Isn't hindsight a wonderfully effective lens to review a situation? And so it goes...

Ed
Nashira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, radar, raymarine